Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbieg getting involved in the shooting scene. what to do?

Options
  • 13-09-2011 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hello,

Basically i come from a rural area so always had a liking for the shooting sports, but never really had a chance to do so. what would be the steps needed to get involved in the scene? I am in the waterford area, are there any clubs located in this area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey Master and commander, generally most parishes will have a gun club and, again, usually they are affiliated to the NARGC.

If you contact the NARGC, they will put you in touch with your regional secretary and he can hook you up with local contact details:
    http://www.nargc.ie/site/contact/contact.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Hello,

Basically i come from a rural area so always had a liking for the shooting sports, but never really had a chance to do so. what would be the steps needed to get involved in the scene? I am in the waterford area, are there any clubs located in this area?

are you looking to get involved in target shooting, clays, game or vermin?
    are you looking for a shotgun or a rifle?

also west waterford or city area?

andddd give us a overall budget

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreatGayHunter

Hi Anybody Know of any Shooting Ranges that have or will have FloodLights on the Range to shooting during the Winter evenings??

Cheers.

G.G.H.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Hilltop have floodlit ranges - handy during the winter

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hi OP,

The way you go about getting into shooting depends on what type of shooting you want to do.

If your only wish is to hunt, ie. shoot rabbits etc, then you don't need to join any type of gun club. You need the permission of two farmers to allow you to shoot on their land. Then you should organise the purchase of a gun. Then fill in the application form with the details of the farmers and the gun you wish to licence and send in the form to the Gardai. This is a simplified version, there's a bit more to it than that, but that's the basics.

If you wish to target shoot, then you will have to join a club. There are many shotgun clubs as mentioned in a previous post and you won't have to travel far to find one of them. Rifle clubs are a bit more spread out but not hard to find either.

If you have never fired a gun, I would recommend that you find a club and try out a few different gun types before you finally decide what type of shooting that you want to do, ie shotgun or rifle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement