Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting Daffodil bulbs

Options
  • 13-09-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've a couple of sacks of Daffodils i want to get planted the next day or two while the ground is still soft after the rain.
    I've never planted them before so looking for any tips....

I wanted to run them all along the border of my garden so should i just dig a trench and then lay the bulbs in or do they prefer to be grouped?

How deep should i dig/bury them?

Should i put any fertiliser in with them?

Thanks so much :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

guideanna wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've a couple of sacks of Daffodils i want to get planted the next day or two while the ground is still soft after the rain.
    I've never planted them before so looking for any tips....

I wanted to run them all along the border of my garden so should i just dig a trench and then lay the bulbs in or do they prefer to be grouped?

How deep should i dig/bury them?

Should i put any fertiliser in with them?

Thanks so much :)
    You could dig a trench but there's no real need. Lift about two spades worth of soil to a depth of about 4" (10cm) and chuck in half a dozen bulbs - they don't even have to be upright - but it helps if they're not upside down.
    Clumps or swathes of Daffs always look better than regiments and they will spread in time.
    No need for fertiliser unless your soil is very poor.

Advertisement