Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL English Comparative Course. HELP!

• 13-09-2011 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm repeating my Leaving Cert this year and I'm having a bit of trouble with the comparative course. I've had an excellent teacher for English for the past five years and I got an A in the Junior Cert and an A1 in the Leaving Cert this year but the teacher I have this year is completely crap! He hasn't taught Honours English for ten years and he doesn't have a notion what to do with us. So I was just wondering could someone tell me what Literary Genre and General Vision and Viewpoint entails? I'm doing Casablanca, Dancing at Lunaghsa and Sive, I've no notes on the two latter texts as there new to me so really need some help.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Wait, you got an A1 in English this year, but you don't know how to do a comparative question?
    Or are you just concerned about those particular texts?

Wait, you got an A1 in English this year, but you don't know how to do a comparative question?
    Or are you just concerned about those particular texts?

Haha believe me, I know how to do a comparative, spent hours doing them but luckily it paid off ;) I'm just wondering what the two modes I've said entail? I done CC and Theme/Issue last year. I want to get some self study done since the teacher isn't any help :rolleyes: So want to know what should I be looking out for when I make notes for my texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Well I have an excellent teacher, or at least she thinks she is anyways :pac:
    As far as I know literary genre involves going through all 3 texts and looking at things like symbolism and prophecy. An example of prophecy would be if someone said early in the text "it's not going to kill you", but in the end the character does in fact, die. That's not the best example but hopefully you see what I mean. I don't understand why your teacher didn't do them elements of the comparative with ye last year?

Well I have an excellent teacher, or at least she thinks she is anyways :pac:
    As far as I know literary genre involves going through all 3 texts and looking at things like symbolism and prophecy. An example of prophecy would be if someone said early in the text "it's not going to kill you", but in the end the character does in fact, die. That's not the best example but hopefully you see what I mean. I don't understand why your teacher didn't do them elements of the comparative with ye last year?

Thanks for the answer. I assumed Literary Genre was the likes of symbolism, imagery, methaphors etc. but thanks for replying all the same :D
    I'm a repeat so I've only joined the class this week but as far as I know the teacher hasn't even started doing the Comparative yet :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I find Literary Genre is quite handy when divided into manageable chunks - chronology (e.g. use of flashback), narration (1st person, omniscient), symbolism and character creation.

What was your theme last year? You might be able to reuse it. There is no need to cover all three modes.

deemark wrote: »
    I find Literary Genre is quite handy when divided into manageable chunks - chronology (e.g. use of flashback), narration (1st person, omniscient), symbolism and character creation.

What was your theme last year? You might be able to reuse it. There is no need to cover all three modes.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for, some sort of structure I can use :D I done Violence annd it's effects :/ So won't be able to use it this year. I was thinking of doing Relationships for theme and Literary Genre this year but not sure yet. I will have a chat with my old teacher.

Relationships could be alright - familial in Lughnasa and Sive and romantic in Casa and Sive. I used Love last year for Sive and Casablanca - when/how we first see it, how it's developed in the story, obstacles and resolution. I was able to throw in a good bit about sacrifice and love triangles into that essay too. Sacrifice for love would fit in very nicely with Lughnasa e.g. all of the protagonists in the three texts have to make sacrifices for the people they love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭aoife_bennett

I could not recommend English Key Notes higher if I was paid. It will have notes on all this year's poets, on three comparative texts (and D@L is one of them) as well as a bit on Hamlet. It is worth every cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 annahoran

I'm repeating my exams aswell and two of the texts I did last year have been removed from the course so all I have left is A Doll's House! I'd like to do a play ( A Doll's House), a novel and a film but I don't know what text would be most relative to a Doll's House. Last year my theme was surrogate parent-child relationshipsand I focused on the unhealthy relationship between Torvald and Nora so I would like to do that theme this year but with two different texts! (last year i done billy elliot and the secret life of bee's but i can't this year) Here are my options! Can anyone tell me which texts they think would be good to so with A Doll's House? I also have a crappy teacher so I need help. Thanks in advance!

O’DONNELL, Damien (Dir.) Inside I’m Dancing (Film)
    PETTERSON, Per Out Stealing Horses
    PICOULT, Jodi My Sister’s Keeper
    QUINN, Marian (Dir.) 32A (Film)
    ROSOFF, Meg How I Live Now
    SALVATORES, Gabriele (Dir.) I’m Not Scared (Film)
    A Winter’s Tale
    SHIELDS, Carol Unless
    SOPHOCLES Oedipus the King
    TREVOR, William The Story of Lucy Gault
    WOLFF, Tobias This Boy’s Life
    ZUSAK, Markus The Book Thief
    MURPHY, Tom A Whistle in the Dark
    NGOZI ADICHIE, Chimamanda Purple Hibiscus
    AUSTEN, Jane Emma
    BALLARD, J.G. Empire of the Sun
    BINCHY, Maeve Circle of Friends
    BOWEN, Elizabeth The Last September
    BRANAGH, Kenneth (Dir.) As You Like It (Film)
    BRONTË, Emily Wuthering Heights
    CHEVALIER, Tracy Girl with a Pearl Earring
    CURTIZ, Michael (Dir.) Casablanca (Film)
    FITZGERALD, F Scott The Great Gatsby
    FRIEL, Brian Dancing at Lughnasa
    FULLER, Alexandra Don’t Let’s Go to the Dogs Tonight: An
    African Childhood
    GAGE, Eleni North of Ithaka
    HAMID, Moshin The Reluctant Fundamentalist
    HARDY, Thomas Tess of the D’Urbervilles
    HARRIS, Robert Pompeii
    HOSSEINI, Khaled The Kite Runner
    IBSEN, Henrik A Doll’s House
    ISHIGURO, Kazuo Never Let Me Go
    JOHNSTON, Jennifer How Many Miles to Babylon?
    KEANE, John B Sive
    MCDONAGH, Martin The Lonesome West
    MCEWAN, Ian Atonement
    MACLAVERTY, Bernard Lamb
    MEIRELLES, Fernando (Dir.) The Constant Gardener (Film

• Advertisement

annahoran wrote: »
    I'm repeating my exams as well and two of the texts I did last year have been removed from the course so all I have left is A Doll's House! I'd like to do a play ( A Doll's House), a novel and a film but I don't know what text would be most relative to a Doll's House. Last year my theme was surrogate parent-child relationships and I focused on the unhealthy relationship between Torvald and Nora so I would like to do that theme this year but with two different texts! (last year i done billy elliot and the secret life of bee's but i can't this year) Here are my options! Can anyone tell me which texts they think would be good to so with A Doll's House? I also have a crappy teacher so I need help. Thanks in advance!

What texts is your "crappy teacher" covering? Surely, it would be easier to do the same as the rest of your class. Your theme is a little too specific, why not broaden it out to family relationships? 'How Many Miles to Babylon?' is short, easy and has a dysfunctional family, while 'Inside I'm Dancing' is modern, Irish and deals with strained family relationships too.

Literary Genre and GVV can be quite difficult to do on your own, so I'd advise sticking with the texts your class is covering.

He isn't covering any. He gave us the list of texts and told us to do what we like so yes my teacher is crappy. I'm on my own here and cause everyone ic my class was in different schools last year we all have different texts done!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

I'm repeating my exams aswell and two of the texts I did last year have been removed from the course so all I have left is A Doll's House! I'd like to do a play ( A Doll's House), a novel and a film but I don't know what text would be most relative to a Doll's House. Last year my theme was surrogate parent-child relationshipsand I focused on the unhealthy relationship between Torvald and Nora so I would like to do that theme this year but with two different texts! (last year i done billy elliot and the secret life of bee's but i can't this year) Here are my options! Can anyone tell me which texts they think would be good to so with A Doll's House? I also have a crappy teacher so I need help. Thanks in advance!

Em we're doing a Doll's House in my school and we're doing Lamb and Inside I'm Dancing!

Oh really! What's your theme? I'll check them out! Thank you.

He isn't covering any. He gave us the list of texts and told us to do what we like so yes my teacher is crappy. I'm on my own here and cause everyone ic my class was in different schools last year we all have different texts done!

It's a full class of repeats and he is giving you no guidance on the comparative? I certainly hope he's going to go through Literary Genre with a fine toothcomb and give you notes on how to apply it and GVV to your texts!

Well then, like I said - broaden your theme out to family relationships/marriage and use two of the texts I suggested.

Advertisement