Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's my ROM going!?

• 13-09-2011 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

I bought a HTC Wildfire S about two weeks ago and was having a great time with my first smartphone until it ran out of memory despite having only 3 apps on the phone with all the others on the SD card and my almost constant use of the "make more space" function. Suffice to say it decided that it didn't want to do anything anymore with it's lack of memory and became a fancy paper weight.

So I did a factory reset a few days ago and reinstalled all my original apps and a few extra and put in a bigger memory card. Joy of joys it told me I had 80mb free of 150mb, marvellous. The only problem is that this figure has been slowly decreasing and now sits at 44mb free even though I've deleted all messages, cleared all caches and haven't installed anything new since it said 80mb free, so my incredibly long winded question is why is this happening?
    Is this something that all android phones do?
    How do I stop it?
    Am I going to have to reset this phone every few weeks?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

A lot of apps keep data in a cache, some more than others - such as maps, email, and news/reader apps. This is so that you can access recently used data quickly without it having to be downloaded again. You can clear this without resetting the phone.

Go to settings » Applications then sort the apps by size and go select them individually and see how much data they are caching, and clear it. You will see quickly enough which apps are doing it, and it won't take long once you know which are the culprits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Facebook might be caching all your mates profile pictures. Try clear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i had the same problem with my htc legend - basically when you transfer apps to the sd card, it seems to only partially transfer the app - some memory goes to the sd card, but most stays on the phone.

for example, my phone is showing angry birds as having a total storage of 3.44mb on the sdcard. but when i move it back to phone, it shows as 22.47. So it looks like 19mbs remains in the phone memory.

I may be wrong but I had kept a lot of apps because i thought they were fully stored on the sd card. when i discovered this issue, i deleted everything except the most essential apps. I now have about 80mbs of free space and phone is a lot faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BrianOFlanagan

The_B_Man wrote: »

How do I do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The_B_Man wrote: »

How do I do that?

Don't sync your phone with Fb, because of the rubbish internal memory issues on it, only ever sync your Google account, everything else bloats the phone....

I have one and was through the same stuff you are going through now, there is a wee space gaining command you can enter that basically sets your apps to be stored on the memory directly, even if the app does not support the feature, its easy enough, I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world but I did it and it made a huge difference....

See link

http://www.bongizmo.com/blog/moving-all-android-apps-to-sdcard-apps2sd-froyo/

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Don't sync your phone with Fb, because of the rubbish internal memory issues on it, only ever sync your Google account, everything else bloats the phone....

I have one and was through the same stuff you are going through now, there is a wee space gaining command you can enter that basically sets your apps to be stored on the memory directly, even if the app does not support the feature, its easy enough, I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world but I did it and it made a huge difference....

See link

Tried that, wouldnt recognise the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Perhaps it's your browser cache?

From the desktop click Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage apps > All > Browser > Clear Cache.

This might sort your issue, but the cache will grow again over time.

I quite like Dolphin browser mini. Lightweight yet very powerful with tabbed browsing. It'll ask if you want to clear cache everytime you exit.

HTH.

See link

Tried that, wouldnt recognise the phone

Did you download the HTC sync software first? Gives you the drivers for the phone...

Did you download the HTC sync software first? Gives you the drivers for the phone...

I'm not sure. I got a HTC account and synced it to the phone, is that it?

Nope, download the software from the HTC website to your pc or laptop, then it gives your pc the Wildfire S drivers... Then follow the guide, its handy enough...

• Advertisement

Nope, download the software from the HTC website to your pc or laptop, then it gives your pc the Wildfire S drivers... Then follow the guide, its handy enough...

Ah good stuff, I'll try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

download advanced task killer from the market.it should help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Squaredude wrote: »
    download advanced task killer from the market.it should help.

Don't do that, Task Killers were only of benefit for early versions of android (Pre 2.0), and killing tasks would only increase your RAM, not ROM anyway.

Advertisement