Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Tablet ~€55 @ Focal Price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm................some smells a bit fishy to me!!

I would steer well clear!!!

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/myefoxcom-c449711.html

Now I know every company will end up with complaints and complaints are a lot easier to find than good things being said about a company, but I would not be going near them, especially when there are other companies that supply similar things at similar prices.

A few newbies registering to post about the company also sets off alarm bells!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What do people think of this? The Yarvik TAB250

http://www.google.com/search?q=yarvik+tab250&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-ie:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

Looks good for the price but i am no expert on these things. Interested in a lowish budget tablet

[/QUOTE]
    never heard about this one?This is a new brand?or i am out[/QUOTE]

Must be, i cant find any reviews (apart form one very positive one). I think its a Dutch company,

very tempted to take the plunge, if i decide that 7 inch is big enough

eamonnq wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, let me play around with it a bit more before I give my final verdict. Don't want to send ye off buying something that packs in after a few days!!

Might be selling my one as I just got my credit card statement, all these little bargains add up!!!

10in one is very good, 32gb, with 2 USB slots and a micro sd slot, only issue is wifi range is not great (but there are some tweaks that I have yet to try which are meant to improve it).

10in one is very good, 32gb, with 2 USB slots and a micro sd slot, only issue is wifi range is not great (but there are some tweaks that I have yet to try which are meant to improve it).

Can you link to the 10 inch one? can only see the 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Meh, so much scrap posted in bargain alerts these days

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mcd121

Meh, so much scrap posted in bargain alerts these days

The 10" yarvik is also on that site and is priced at 143 euro shipped. I can't find any review of it tho as it seems its all in dutch only one review from yarvik s own site...so dunno if I'd trust that...has anyone got any more info on this...seems cheap if its any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kaoshi

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭TechFreak

Got my 7 inch andriod tab and flashed it with a slick new operating system called Uberoid which I got online. Its a Honeycomb Hybrid. Got the tab for 46 euro on ebay and flashing the rom was easy.

I even have the offical android market app on it. The OS you get a standard is sh*te and the android market app on it is not the legit one but a B*stardised version of it.

These tabs dont support skype tho so be warned. Fring barely works on them for video too but fring is grand for voice chat.

Savage ebook reader and great for watching AVIs. Bat life is ok too tho. Depends on your tech spec.

• Advertisement

http://cgi.ebay.ie/32gb-iBex-FlyTouch3-SuperPad-II-Android-2-2-Tablet-PC-/190580271673?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item2c5f782a39#ht_5174wt_1139

This is the 10in one that I got, flashed it with a new rom and am fairly happy with it, have not had time to play around with it much, battery life seems decent, wifi is a bit weak but I think that can be tweaked.

EDIT: I did not buy from this ebay seller, and am in no way recommending him as I have had no dealings or connection with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

http://cgi.ebay.ie/32gb-iBex-FlyTouch3-SuperPad-II-Android-2-2-Tablet-PC-/190580271673?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item2c5f782a39#ht_5174wt_1139

This is the 10in one that I got, flashed it with a new rom and am fairly happy with it, have not had time to play around with it much, battery life seems decent, wifi is a bit weak but I think that can be tweaked.

How about the touch screen?

How about the touch screen?

Touch screen is fairly decent, not quite Ipad but better than previous screens I have come across.

TechFreak wrote: »
    Got my 7 inch andriod tab and flashed it with a slick new operating system called Uberoid which I got online. Its a Honeycomb Hybrid. Got the tab for 46 euro on ebay and flashing the rom was easy.

I even have the offical android market app on it. The OS you get a standard is sh*te and the android market app on it is not the legit one but a B*stardised version of it.

These tabs dont support skype tho so be warned. Fring barely works on them for video too but fring is grand for voice chat.

Savage ebook reader and great for watching AVIs. Bat life is ok too tho. Depends on your tech spec.

what do you use for watching avi's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

EDIT: I did not buy from this ebay seller, and am in no way recommending him as I have had no dealings or connection with him.

That model is faked quite a bit apparently.
    Chinagrabber seems to be the main site which can be trusted, ebay is prolly a big no-no for that device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

are any of the really cheap ones any good jsut to browse and read books on watch film maybe ? i have no real interest in them but if cheap might get on for a start. ( fyi i still have trad mobile phone as work pays)

mcd121 wrote: »

I would think not.

The battery rating on that one is 6400 which apparently is not as good as it should be, the genuine Ibex Flytouch 3 has an 8800mah battery for instance, and the 32gb version is only slightly dearer than that one.

There is a Flytouch 4 on the way with a capacitive screen and I might consider upgrading to that, but the one I have is decent enough.

I would think not.

The battery rating on that one is 6400 which apparently is not as good as it should be, the genuine Ibex Flytouch 3 has an 8800mah battery for instance, and the 32gb version is only slightly dearer than that one.

There is a Flytouch 4 on the way with a capacitive screen and I might consider upgrading to that, but the one I have is decent enough.

Cheers for the advice...just to make sure this one is the real thing? I'm very cautious over these things...and the box looks pretty gamy...

http://chinagrabber.com/16gb-flytouch-3-android-2-2-epad---ibex-superpad-ii-gps-tablet-pc---16gb-ibex-flytouch3.aspx

I would think not.

Cheers for the advice...just to make sure this one is the real thing? I'm very cautious over these things...and the box looks pretty gamy...

http://chinagrabber.com/16gb-flytouch-3-android-2-2-epad---ibex-superpad-ii-gps-tablet-pc---16gb-ibex-flytouch3.aspx

lol, I recommend you the kindle fire that amazon released yesterday, it is cheap enough...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tijian

Agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Probably. Chinagrabber are reputable. Search for threads which identify how to spot a fake flytouch 3 and you won't go too far wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Has anyone here used these as a car GPS, (download gmaps), is the gps accuarate, and can a windscreen /car charger mount be sourced

k123456 wrote: »
    Has anyone here used these as a car GPS, (download gmaps), is the gps accuarate, and can a windscreen /car charger mount be sourced

Have not got that far yet, but apparently they can, thing is the 10in would probably take up half the windscreen!!

Comes with an additional addon GPS aerial also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Murta

Has anyone used dealextreme and recieved goods from them? I got a tracking number from them 3 days ago and it still isn't working. Tracking site seems to be some sort of China post group.

Murta wrote: »
    Has anyone used dealextreme and recieved goods from them? I got a tracking number from them 3 days ago and it still isn't working. Tracking site seems to Chinese.

Yes, it usually takes a few days to show up on the tracking site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

lol, I recommend you the kindle fire that amazon released yesterday, it is cheap enough...

no camera, no sdcard slot and a tiny amount of internal storage - not a bargain and not for sale outisde the US so add to that the hassle of getting one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Tech Freak, Interested in Uberoid, is an update to your existing Android platform , or a fresh install of a new one, what benifits does it bring.

TechFreak wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Any reviews for these tablets ordered from Focalprice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

neacy69 wrote: »
    Any reviews for these tablets ordered from Focalprice?

Got mine three days ago. Exactly as described. Had a quick trip to the local shop to get an international adaptor for the charger. The battery life is quite short. The touch screen is quite unresponsive, but easy to use nonetheless. Comes with a wide array of apps already loaded and is quick enough to load most things. Screen is good and bright and the tablet itself is light to hold. It doesn't look cheap and was defintely a good purchase for a low-end tablet. Took over three weeks to arrive and isn't going to break any records but does the job and you wouldn't feel like a gob****e if you spilled a cup of tea on it, because it didn't cost over €100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

does the focal price have hdmi out? want something cheap to stream from net through hdmi to tv. laptop has no hdmi out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

bigneacy wrote: »
    Got mine three days ago. Exactly as described. Had a quick trip to the local shop to get an international adaptor for the charger. The battery life is quite short. The touch screen is quite unresponsive, but easy to use nonetheless. Comes with a wide array of apps already loaded and is quick enough to load most things. Screen is good and bright and the tablet itself is light to hold. It doesn't look cheap and was defintely a good purchase for a low-end tablet. Took over three weeks to arrive and isn't going to break any records but does the job and you wouldn't feel like a gob****e if you spilled a cup of tea on it, because it didn't cost over €100

How ,much was stamp duties & customs taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭U2Flyboy

A friend of mine got a PC card from HK within the past week. The cost of the item was €55 and the customs duties which had to be paid to the postman was €12.50. The charge was made up of Vat and ? PC...?..? Postal Collection?

I have one of these tablets on order and I expect to have to pay this amount. Am I correct or by any chance do these escape the duties.?

Whats a good Rom to install on this tablet?

U2Flyboy wrote: »
    A friend of mine got a PC card from HK within the past week. The cost of the item was €55 and the customs duties which had to be paid to the postman was €12.50. The charge was made up of Vat and ? PC...?..? Postal Collection?

I have one of these tablets on order and I expect to have to pay this amount. Am I correct or by any chance do these escape the duties.?

probably will be stopped - then again it may not be! uberoid is the best rom to put on these afaik.

U2Flyboy wrote: »

Maybe you can have a conversation with their customer service, to lable the price less than it actually does...
    One of my friends always do like this, and escape some costs:)

PS:this is illegal, but a good way to reduce costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

focalprice rarely put actual values on the declaration if I recall correctly.
    They usually put "10 dollars".

I just ordered a Chinagrabber flytouch for 150 euro will I get nailed on the custom tax? I never thought of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cityhunter

I just ordered a Chinagrabber flytouch for 150 euro will I get nailed on the custom tax? I never thought of it

of course you will be asked to pay for the custom tax...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Xpsgamer wrote: »
    Fools to buy any item valued at more than a fiver from China, i see the future, and you will regret these tablets

What exactly are you basing this on? I have bought plenty of items from China... some priced well into the hundreds of euros, and they compare favourably to competitors from Japan and the US in terms of build quality and overall execution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

gerryk wrote: »
    What exactly are you basing this on? I have bought plenty of items from China... some priced well into the hundreds of euros, and they compare favourably to competitors from Japan and the US in terms of build quality and overall execution.

I ordered a laptop from Lenovo.ie few weeks ago and it arrived today from Shanghai (via Republic of Korea, Kazakstan, Koeln in Germany, Dublin, Shannon...I kid u not thats the UPS tracking history) and I could not be happier with the build quality...

cityhunter wrote: »
    of course you will be asked to pay for the custom tax...
    I am very happy with the tablet I bought!

Also it have 1 year warranty, so any probs just send it back for repair.

If it does break I'm pretty sure I could probably with fix it myself or just get one of those chinese mobile phone shops to have a look at it...

/\/ollog wrote: »
    focalprice rarely put actual values on the declaration if I recall correctly.
    They usually put "10 dollars".
    The tablet I ordered from dealextreme cost €150, but DX marked it €60.

Customs opened the package, and sent me a letter asking for the paypal receipt so they could calculate the VAT. Just emailed them a screenshot of the reciept.

My tablet was in customs for 1 week (Didn't take that long to arrive to Ireland)! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

My tablet was in customs for 1 week (Didn't take that long to arrive to Ireland)! :(

They have US and UK distribution centres now.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    They have US and UK distribution centres now.
    Yeah I know. My tabelt came from China, I checked the tracking everyday, I was like a child on christmas eve :D

The tablet I ordered from dealextreme cost €150, but DX marked it €60.

Customs opened the package, and sent me a letter asking for the paypal receipt so they could calculate the VAT. Just emailed them a screenshot of the reciept.

Which tablet did you buy ?

• Advertisement

I thought this one seemed to be a cut above the others for similar price, will let ye all know if it turns up!!!

Still hasn't show up from Dealextreme, no repsonse from customer service for a week, opened paypal dispute, and their customer service have told me that if I don't close the dispute they won't help me sort out the problem!!!

Same thing with another item I bought off their offers site!!

Won't be ordering anything from them!!!

Which tablet did you buy ?
    This one:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/7-capacitive-lcd-dual-core-android-2-2-tablet-pc-w-camera-wi-fi-bluetooth-hdmi-4gb-cortex-a9-81345

I have bought, over time, hundreds of euro worth of stuff from DX and never had any big problems. Only problem I have was 1 part of a package too 2 months to arrive because it was out of stock.

Still hasn't show up from Dealextreme, no repsonse from customer service for a week, opened paypal dispute, and their customer service have told me that if I don't close the dispute they won't help me sort out the problem!!!

Same thing with another item I bought off their offers site!!

Won't be ordering anything from them!!!

stuff from dealextreme can take well over a month.
    focalprice is a bit better - average 2.5 to 3 weeks I would say.
    buyincoins is HK based and has the best delivery times - about 2 weeks.
    not as much stuff on buyincoins but I use it if I can.
    some of the cheap stuff from dealextreme will break pretty easily but what do you expect for 2 usd delivered!

glasso wrote: »
    stuff from dealextreme can take well over a month.
    focalprice is a bit better - average 2.5 to 3 weeks I would say.
    buyincoins is HK based and has the best delivery times - about 2 weeks.
    not as much stuff on buyincoins but I use it if I can.
    some of the cheap stuff from dealextreme will break pretty easily but what do you expect for 2 usd delivered!

Oh I know well, how long it can take, and I know some stuff will arrive quicker than others, but the two packages that I am missing left China some time ago and I checked with anpost who advised me that they were not received into Ireland and that I should report them as missing.

I have got lots of mainly cheaper stuff from DX over the years and have had little or no problems with them, but when they don't respond to customer queries and then tell me that they won't do anything unless I close the paypal dispute, I begin to worry!!

I know that if you buy something from China, you may have issues and it may not be worthwhile sending an item back, but when you don't receive anything at all and they tell you that they are not going to assist you then that takes the biscuit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭frankiebaby

If you flash the tablet the OP showed, with something like the Uberoid v5-9 ROM or Modroid ROM, you can make that really cheap tablet into something pretty useful and fast. The stock Android 2.2 that comes with it is very slow and some apps wont work. With the Uberoid ROM, you have a much faster tablet and you can have full working Google Market V3.1.2 (updated frequently), with all the usual good stuff aswell, video player, full flash support up to 10.2.
    Any of these extrememly cheap low end tablets with the 8650 CPU can be flashed with new and fast versions of Android 2.2. It should be the first thing you do with these tablet IMO.

If you stay with the stock ROM, you will be stuck with broken apps and a slower overall system.

Search Google/YouTube for 'Uberoid 8650' for videos of these flashed tablets being used. Uberoid V9.1.1 was released a few days ago for these tablets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement