Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to keep mice out

• 13-09-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi can anybody tell me how to keep mice out of my house?
    How do they get in ? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

katopyrgos wrote: »
    Hi can anybody tell me how to keep mice out of my house?
    How do they get in ? thanks

Get a cat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Make sure all food is stored in containers, clean up any left overs straight away, clean the house and move all furniture.
    Get some traps and set them, also you can try the ultrasonic plug ins if you have no pets. Not sure how good they are, I haven't tried them.
    If you eliminate any food source and make sure you disturb any nook and cranny they may have set up home in, you may keep them out.
    This is the time of year they come into houses, and no getting a cat doesn't always work (I know plenty of cats that don't hunt, or can't catch mice. (that said I like cats and they are nice pets:D I have 2)
    Mice like quiet undisturbed places to nest, with a good food source nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Had problems with mice when we moved into our house for the first two winter's. Found those plug's in very good but some still got in a few.
    Best thing ever was my dog, after getting our pup who sleeps in the kitchen never had a problem since. Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We've had problems with them over the years, had a few years with none but they've started to find ways in but think we have it sorted now.

Block off main access areas, like attics..any pipes etc. leading to a hot press and they can get in. Block off any holes around the house, check all kitchen cupboards etc. You can block off using cement, or wire wool aparently they hate to chew it it's too sharp.

Keep all surfaces clean and free of food as much as possible, empty or put away/cover dog any pet food that's in dishes.

Keep back and front door closed when not in use.

Getting a cat can help..but it will also mean half eaten (or half dead) mice on your pillow...lovely.

I use a plug in but not sure if it really works or not.

Through unused chimneys is another place they can get in to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The only way mice get in here is when the cat brings them in, either dead or alive, through the upstairs bedroom window...

The terrier sees them off downstairs.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 katopyrgos

We've had problems with them over the years, had a few years with none but they've started to find ways in but think we have it sorted now.

Block off main access areas, like attics..any pipes etc. leading to a hot press and they can get in. Block off any holes around the house, check all kitchen cupboards etc. You can block off using cement, or wire wool aparently they hate to chew it it's too sharp.

Keep all surfaces clean and free of food as much as possible, empty or put away/cover dog any pet food that's in dishes.

Keep back and front door closed when not in use.

Getting a cat can help..but it will also mean half eaten (or half dead) mice on your pillow...lovely.

I use a plug in but not sure if it really works or not.

Through unused chimneys is another place they can get in to.
    Thanks Sigma Force, yours seems to be the most logical reply. The only place they can get in I was thinking was the airvents - I ve put netting wire over the vents. Hope this might do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Idiots leaving doors and windows open lets in mice and "Rats". Also get in through the sink pipe outside washing machine pipe, in fact any pipe thats not sealed can be a way for them to toddle along into a dwelling. I don't know which is the worst vermin, ie cats, or mice, or rats, they all carry the same diseases. Those sonic plug in devices are useless btw, mouse traps do the job, but are disgusting left around the place, poison placed in the right place does kill them, but where do they die? I'd seal the house as best i could and a bit of hygeine goes a long way, also stp putting any sort of food related stuff down the sink, either liquid or solid, rats love you for this, but i'm amazed by everyone who does this, when i mention it to people, all they do is laugh. Remember you probably have rats and mice all around outside the house, you only know they're inside when you see them. Now, what was that noise????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

headmaster wrote: »
    Idiots leaving doors and windows open lets in mice and "Rats". Also get in through the sink pipe outside washing machine pipe, in fact any pipe thats not sealed can be a way for them to toddle along into a dwelling. I don't know which is the worst vermin, ie cats, or mice, or rats, they all carry the same diseases. Those sonic plug in devices are useless btw, mouse traps do the job, but are disgusting left around the place, poison placed in the right place does kill them, but where do they die? I'd seal the house as best i could and a bit of hygeine goes a long way, also stp putting any sort of food related stuff down the sink, either liquid or solid, rats love you for this, but i'm amazed by everyone who does this, when i mention it to people, all they do is laugh. Remember you probably have rats and mice all around outside the house, you only know they're inside when you see them. Now, what was that noise????????????

Cats are not of course vermin.

And I am not going to seal myself into my house!

We are in a very rural area and the wild life has as much right to live as we do. Easy enough to prevent entry as you so rightly say.

In fact, I take any leftover foods that dog cannot eat up the fields well away from the house to divert the wildlife. There are //badgers//foxes// around here...They are welcome to scraps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Mice get in through the smallest of cracks, around drains, or any little area, these need to be filled with expanding foam or polyfilla type filler to prevent them getting in.

Open doors are just an invitation, last year I went out to bring in the dog, in the two minutes the door was open a mouse got in. Be careful about closing doors behind you.

For the ones that are in the house, check behind every appliance, cooker, fridge washing machine etc - it's nice and warm in there for them. Any sign of droppings put down traps. I find peanut butter or a bit of bacon rind is the best.

Clean everywhere. Make sure all food is put away in sealed containers. Try and keep all eating to one room. If you move food about the house the mice will follow. If they are contained to one room get the ultrasonic plug ins (get the ones with the biggest range, the smaller range ones can be ineffective)

Remember to clean or take the crumb tray out of your toaster!! There's always a bit of food debris on this and everybody I know leaves their toaster out in full view on the kitchen counter!! If you have a mouse in the house - check your crumb tray, it will have mouse droppings in it for sure.

Don't put down poison, a rotting rodent carcass will smell and you might not be able to find it if it's under the floorboards. Traps are the only way, you can get the "cup" style ones that are prebaited and you don't see most of the mouse when you're disposing of them if you're queasy about emptying them. I find the traditional traps the best method. I also got a humane trap before and it did not work.

Advertisement