Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'hand held' snack food

Options
  • 13-09-2011 5:24pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if the title says what I want but here goes...

I'm back at college and 2 days I have 6 hours straight of lectures. I might get 10mins between 'hours' if that makes sense.
    What I'm looking for is something I can make to take with me that I can eat whilst moving between classes. I was thinking muesli style bars but does anyone have any other suggestions or recipes?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Pasties,maybe? They're a mix of meat and veg in a pastry shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What about fresh/dried fruits or a bag of mixed nuts until you get time to sit down for a proper meal?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Get a tupperware with a few different compartments and put things like celery and carrot sticks in one, with hummus in the other. Or bring Ryvita or the like with hummus separately. Fruit is good too, and small portions of nuts. Yoghurts would be fine out of the fridge for a few hours usually, and granola-style bars are good (although stay away from Nutri Grain and the like, because they're full of sugar).

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=granola-bars
    I find these bars to be really filling & easy to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Parma Ham is a good one if you take some wrapped in cling-film or tinfoil, full of protein and keep's you going, pretty low on the calorie front too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrmrbungle

I like rice cakes with different dips so as not to get bored, tzatziki, hummus, tapenade, pesto etc... they're really cheap to make too if you're on a student budget,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

mrmrbungle wrote: »
    I like rice cakes with different dips so as not to get bored, tzatziki, hummus, tapenade, pesto etc... they're really cheap to make too if you're on a student budget,

Tesco have nice flavoured ones, Salt and Vinegar are nice but I just came across Chilli flavoured ones last week and they're gorgeous on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I find a banana or yogurt great between lectures, and a little tub of trail mix in my bag is great too..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,494 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And nobody has mentioned a sandwich? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Spanish tortillas (great for using leftovers) or this great Cauliflower cake are great 'food in hand' grub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Unless you're being noisy, distracting the class, most lecturers wouldn't care if you were eating in class, unless maybe it was labs or something. Why not explain to your middle lecturer the situation and ask if it's ok if you eat your lunch in the class?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

I would normally recommend flapjack or granola bars in this situation but I've recently been tinkering with various aspects of this recipe and I have to say that it's very adaptable to whatever dried fruit/nuts/seeds you've got lying around:

Honey & Peanut Butter Booster Bars

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Unless you're being noisy, distracting the class, most lecturers wouldn't care if you were eating in class, unless maybe it was labs or something. Why not explain to your middle lecturer the situation and ask if it's ok if you eat your lunch in the class?

yeah that the prob I'm in the computer lab all afternoon, so I'm looking for something I can maybe tear bits off and eat discretly:D Going to have a go at the muesli bars, although last week I took in a pitta with hummus and that was ok. Guess my better option might be going for a full breakfast before I start at 10 and that will see me through till the evening!

Thanks for all the suggestions, you've all made me very hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kirw2n

A few people in my course (including me^^) make Onigiri for exactly that purpose, They're easy to carry and really easy to make! Also just one is very filling as it's mostly rice!

I've only ever seen them for sale in one place in Dublin, but a quick googling should provide an easy recipe ~ Or I could give you one! Let me know ^^

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

kirw2n wrote: »
    A few people in my course (including me^^) make Onigiri for exactly that purpose, They're easy to carry and really easy to make! Also just one is very filling as it's mostly rice!

I've only ever seen them for sale in one place in Dublin, but a quick googling should provide an easy recipe ~ Or I could give you one! Let me know ^^

just googled them, they look yummy, please share your recipe:D

angeldaisy wrote: »
    just googled them, they look yummy, please share your recipe:D
    Sure thing! :D

So, what you need is-

1-Japanese-style rice (€2 for a bag "kotobuki" brand in Oriental Emporium in Dublin)
    2-Any filling you want! I use mostly things that you can put in sushi, like Avocado, peppers, cucumber, seafood sticks (or all mixed together!)~ But you can use pretty much anything that goes with rice! little nuggets of fried chicken were my favourite when I wasn't veggie^^ Now it's fried Tofu :P
    3-Nori (japanese roasted sea vegetable) (It's the black wrapper you see on Onigiri for easy holding so your hands don't get slightly ricey >_>) But it is optional of course as it can be a bit pricey. (around €6 for 50 sheets in Asia Market in Dublin~)

To make them, after letting the cooked rice cool down so that it can be moulded easily, you basically just wet your hands (so that the rice doesn't stick to them!), grab a small handful of rice and make it into a little cup-like shape in your hand, add the filling to the middle, not too much, and carefully fold over until the filling is in the middle of the rice ball. Then, using a little force, shape it into whichever shape suits your lunch box! Mine are usually triangles :) You can add a strip of Nori to the outside of the rice ball for decoration, practicality or just for the flavour~

This is generally the design I go for! But A quick search on google images gives loads of inspiration :)
    onigiri-1.jpg

Hope you like them! I usually make about 4 the night before and wrap 'em in clingfilm in the fridge so that they're a little more solid the next morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

kirw2n wrote: »

Please, please, please tell me where you can get onigiri in Dublin!

kylith wrote: »
    Please, please, please tell me where you can get onigiri in Dublin!

It's in a little place called Kokoro on Liffey Street, just as you walk towards the luas line from the haypenny bridge on the northside~ It's on your left :D

I think they're €2 each, but their prices fluctuate! ^^

Advertisement