Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising Advice

Options
  • 13-09-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have just launched a small business which is home based in Galway city. So far I am struggling to let people know I am out there. The business is for kids parties, this is what I have done so far:
    Left posters in supermarkets, pharmacies etc
    Left business cards in coffee shops and a few kids shops.
    Sent press releases to local papers (don't know if these will be picked up yet).
    Applied to attend a local fair although this is not on until November.
    I have created a facebook page linking to my website and I am liking lots of other local pages, leaving comments etc.

Anyone have any other suggestions as I am on a tiny budget, also has anyone any experience of how long these things tend to take to kick in?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You should have a link to your website on your sig for a start!

All of the methods you list are 'passive' promotions - in order to make your promotion 'active' and get people to make contact you need to promote to them at the point where they are shopping for what you sell. You don't say what it is you are selling but if it is birthday cakes you should be promoting in places where people shop for other party items (team up with someone who rents bouncy castles as an example).

Unless your promotion is 'newsworthy' or you are sleeping with the features editor in the local paper, your press releases will be in the bin by now - don't take it personally. Most companies who you see getting 'advertorials' in the local press either advertise regularly or they are sponsoring something which makes them interesting to read about. Its not always easy to get free column inches in the paper!

If you think that 'word of mouth' promotion will work, give a 25% introductory discount to anyone who recommends you to a (purchasing) friend - see how many customers bring new customers.

Put up more info about your product offering and why you think it is special - I can't answer in any detail without knowing a little more.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Agree with everything Interceptor says. If you don't have a website you should definitely try get one together even something basic like the free Getting Ireland Online ones as a start and a point of reference perhaps for customers searching for a business of your type in Galway. What is the name of your business? (PM me if you want) I will look it up on Facebook and share it with some friends. Also you should leave some leaflets into places like Monkey Business and Kardio Kids and Kranky Kuts and all other kiddie related places around to really spread the word. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pride of place

Thanks Interceptor and ourtrail.

The business is providing jewellery making parties. I will definitely contact places like Monkey Business. I will PM you the name to find on facebook page. I have now added my website to my profile - I am quite new to boards and didn't realise I could do that.

pride of place

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Contact West of Ireland Networking - lots of good advice for budding entreprenuers there.

Find networking ways to make relationships with your target audience.

And check your PM for the message I'll send you in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's an Entrepreneurial forum on boards, they probably deal with these questions a lot.

• Advertisement

The link to your own website might be removed. You should email hello@boards.ie and let them know you're intending to advertise. I'm not fully familiar with the sig/profile rules with regards to advertising, but you're better off covering your own arse.

Thanks boneyarsebogman,

I will check this out with hello@boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwaygal09

i found your twitter and facebook page fairly easily via goggle by typing in what you mentioned above but not your website...keep working on those page rankings (although did get it on your twitter page)

maybe chat to the likes of mykidstime, your budget might be small but they might be able to help out via way of competition, recommendation even just liking your page...your likes on Facebook might be best to go the route of everything related to kids you are targeting, so like mentioned above the MonkeyBusiness and similar

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11 annemarie11

HI there,

First of all congrats- it's great to see new business up and running in the city. I've just launched my own business as of last week and I see from your post that we have taken the same approach. My service would be of the educational variety- so I can see that the target market is quite similar.
    Would you mind sending me a PM so we can discuss further? Would be great to meet another Galway based entrepreneur,

best regards,

Anne-Marie

Thanks galwaygal09,

I think the competition is a very good idea. I will definitely contact my kids time to see if there is any way they can help me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement