Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle hits car.

• 13-09-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Right I have a "hypothetical" question for the good people on boards.

Im driving through the phoenix park headed towards castleknock, its quite heavy track max speed around 30k. I'm just gone past the roundabout at the aras. Im looking in my mirrors the whole time, all of a sudden a big gust of wind comes pushes the car slightly to the right and then all i hear is a big bang. It turns out that a motorcylce was trying to over take me on a continuous white line, at no time did I actually cross the white line or even touch it.

So if this happened in real life, who is responsible? Both vechicles are quite badly scrapped.

I would be quite shock up if this really happened, if this did happen could i claim for counselling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Person overtaking is usually the one at fault, esp. if there's a continuous white line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You're obviously not but Judges sympathise with seriously injured people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Person overtaking is usually the one at fault, esp. if there's a continuous white line

Thats exactly what i thought. It really annoys me seeing people on motorbikes, just think they can overtake anywhere anytime.

MugMugs wrote: »

I know thankful, this story has a happy ending. Im not physically hurt anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

If it's a single white line then the biker is in the wrong. If it's not then I can't see it going your way. It would also want to be a substantial gust to make you swerve that far out when only doing 30km/hr so I can't see it happening as you described.

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    If it's a single white line then the biker is in the wrong. If it's not then I can't see it going your way. It would also want to be a substantial gust to make you swerve that far out when only doing 30km/hr so I can't see it happening as you described.

The whole main road is a solid white line. Im not sure me moving has anything to do with it to be honest. Im entiltled to use my line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ANXIOUS wrote: »

I know thankful, this story has a happy ending. Im not physically hurt anyway.

Biker would be.

Generally I "bite the kerb" when theirs a bike behind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Right I have a "hypothetical" question for the good people on boards.

Im driving through the phoenix park headed towards castleknock, its quite heavy track max speed around 30k. I'm just gone past the roundabout at the aras. Im looking in my mirrors the whole time, all of a sudden a big gust of wind comes pushes the car slightly to the right and then all i hear is a big bang. It turns out that a motorcylce was trying to over take me on a continuous white line, at no time did I actually cross the white line or even touch it.

So if this happened in real life, who is responsible? Both vechicles are quite badly scrapped.

I would be quite shock up if this really happened, if this did happen could i claim for counselling?
    don't wait. go and get that counselling straight away, and keep taking the meds. and remember, there watching!

Biker would be.

Generally I "bite the kerb" when theirs a bike behind me.

Same as but with the pot holes, cars parked anywhere and today the breeze in the park i drove slightly more central.

don't wait. go and get that counselling straight away, and keep taking the meds. and remember, there watching!

You know what i actually am starting to feel quite anxious ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its quite possible for a bike to legally overtake without crossing the white line on a large portion of our single carriageways. Even at that, you hit the bike. It doesn't matter if what he was doing was illegal, you hit him.

Precedent was set in the high court quite a few years back when a car driver pulled out into a motorbike in a bus lane and hit him side on like you described. The insurance company claimed he was driving illegally in the bus lane and as such should not have to pay up. The judge ruled that regardless the car driver should have been observant and checked his mirrors for the bike. The accident was ruled in favor of the bike driver.

While circumstances are not the exact same, you lost control of your vehicle and hit another in this scenario. So the blame should lie with the you.

Its quite possible for a bike to legally overtake without crossing the white line on a large portion of our single carriageways. Even at that, you hit the bike. It doesn't matter if what he was doing was illegal, you hit him.

Precedent was set in the high court quite a few years back when a car driver pulled out into a motorbike in a bus lane and hit him side on like you described. The insurance company claimed he was driving illegally in the bus lane and as such should not have to pay up. The judge ruled that regardless the car driver should have been observant and checked his mirrors for the bike. The accident was ruled in favor of the bike driver.

While circumstances are not the exact same, you lost control of your vehicle and hit another in this scenario. So the blame should lie with the you.

Not sure i agree with you, im pretty sure its illegal to over take someone on a single lane. Who lost control of there car? I stayed in between the lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭garclo

my guess is it's the bikers fault for overtaking on a continuous white line but if the wind managed to push your car a few feet, surely it blew the biker into marys front gates.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Regardless of the continuous/broken white line argument since the biker didn't cross it, are you not entitled to use your full lane width? I'm going to go with the biker being at fault on this one, he clearly didn't give you enough room when overtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Regardless of the continuous/broken white line argument since the biker didn't cross it, are you not entitled to use your full lane width? I'm going to go with the biker being at fault on this one, he clearly didn't give you enough room when overtaking.

'kin twilight zone here,
    he clearly did'nt leave room? its all just make believe remember. so the op could claim for a counselor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

could i claim for counselling?
    Don't know, have you tried yet - hypothetically?

OT, I'd say it's a 50/50 deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not sure i agree with you, im pretty sure its illegal to over take someone on a single lane. Who lost control of there car? I stayed in between the lines.

No, road traffic law merely says you must not cross a solid line, it does not bar you from overtaking within the lane if safe to do so. You lost control (though no fault of your own to be fair) because you couldn't keep the car on the same trajectory as before and entered the path of another vehicle that was beside you. One of the fundamental rules of driving is to avoid entering the path of another vehicle if it could lead to a collision.

However, given the gusty conditions the biker should have re-considered the amount of room he should have given the car and perhaps not made his overtaking move, 50/50 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

biko wrote: »

I'd say it's a 50/50 deal.

I'd say you could be correct.

The difficult part would be trying to convince the judge that you did not swerve to the right to deliberately 'take out' the motorbike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Amateurish

If this happened for real how is the biker? must have been some gust of wind to blow a car off course but not the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

I think the OP has the title mixed up. Sounds to me like the poor little lamb hit the biker, not the other way round.
    He is so traumatised by this that he needs counselling.
    Sheesh, some people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

So hypotheticaly all you want to know is how much money you could possibly claim for?
    Are you hoping It's going to be windy tomorrow or something?

My opinion is 50/50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Garlco and P.C have my points, I went through there on my bike 1 hour previous. Wind was not that bad but I always give girth and size up the vehicle first the driver 2nd and 3rd and equate a safety Margin.
    Micra's are tops, you can guess the second and third.
    Road from last roundabout to Castleknock gate is pure ****e, all broken up so have to stay wide, but have to say there are some very slow drivers through the park, no doubt admiring the scenery!

At least no one was injured and all will live to fight another day in Dublin traffic. ;)
    Lets be careful out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd say OP is more to blame. The biker didn't leave enough room, but at 30kph you really shouldn't be swerving your car enough to cause both vehicles to be severely scraped. You are the one that drove into him.
    And seriously, counselling? Claiming for stuff like that is one of the reasons insurance in ireland is so expensive. If the biker was knocked off he should be the one claiming that.

Advertisement