Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's you favourite type of Dog?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Beautiful dog Chris. These can get to be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Samoyeds because I have two myself :)

17147-2.jpg
    Samoyed-Puppies-For-Sale.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Beautiful dog Chris. These can get to be huge.
    Thanks,
    it is true they are big but there are some people out there trying to cash in on over sized ones that they lable Giant Alaskan Malamute, usually these can reach up to 177lb(77kg) but this is the flip side to the teacup yorkie and the larger sized dogs usually suffer from health problems.

In saying that I would like Titan to grow a bit more, he is 40kg now at 9 months but they are said to grow until 2 years so who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

a sleeping one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Shanao wrote: »
    I've got an american, hoping to get an inu next year. Must get a good pic of him to put up

You should, I love Akitas. If you have an Iphone or something you can just snap a few, thats what I use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

This is my fella, proudly owned and bred by me. He is an Irish and International Champion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Very small picture. But lovely setter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry john t, tried to edit your post there to display the pic, but it's too big! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Shanao wrote: »
    Favorite is most definitely akitas. Wouldn't be without one now

american-akita-dogs-1.jpg

Same boat, great big goofy bears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

It's the goofy Newfie for me. Definitely mans best friend. (well kids best friend anyway!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Akitas all the way! Amazing dogs and I'll have them til the day I kick the bucket!

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Very small picture. But lovely setter.

Thanks I tried to make it bigger but it wouldnt work. He is actully an Italian Spinone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I love the look of a rottie but i don't think id trust one around kids and my nephew would be over often enough.

So in that case either a springer or a collie

Rotties are just as good with kids as any other breed, in fact they are generally more tolerant of kids playing rough with them then the toy breeds would be.

My problem has always been that there are just too many dogs of too many types and different characteristics so it's impossible to pick a favourite but my long list is:

Beagle
    Bernese Mountain dog
    Doberman
    Foxhound
    Hungarian Vizsla
    Japanese Spitz
    Labrador
    Lagotto Romagnolo
    Mini Pin
    Miniature Schnauzer
    Norwegian Elkhound
    Samoyed
    Setters (plural)
    Shelties
    Siberian Husky
    Sky Terrier
    Tibetan Terrier
    Westhighland Terrier

Now I just need to figure out how many dogs I need to own at once to get through them all in my lifetime without the danger of becoming a crazy dog lady :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Springers hands down for me. Beautiful temprament and just such energetic dogs when out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I reckon you just can't beat a mutt! That's my favourite, I love guessing what breeds are in them, wondering what they'll look like and what traits come through. Like my springer x JRT, terrier instinct to hunt and catch prey but has a soft springer mouth so doesn't hurt them!

My problem has always been that there are just too many dogs of too many types and different characteristics so it's impossible to pick a favourite but my long list is:

Beagle
    Bernese Mountain dog
    Doberman
    Foxhound
    Hungarian Vizsla
    Japanese Spitz
    Labrador
    Lagotto Romagnolo
    Mini Pin
    Miniature Schnauzer
    Norwegian Elkhound
    Samoyed
    Setters (plural)
    Shelties
    Siberian Husky
    Sky Terrier
    Tibetan Terrier
    Westhighland Terrier

Now I just need to figure out how many dogs I need to own at once to get through them all in my lifetime without the danger of becoming a crazy dog lady :p

You forgot to add Border Terrier to that list......:D

My little lady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nollipop

I'm with Bookworm85 and Discodog.
    But for personality and sheer goofyness you cant beat greyhounds IMHO. I wouldnt have looked twice at a grey until I started forstering, wonderful dogs that just ooze affection and personality smile.gif

Goofyness is the word. Mine's either busy being a rug that breathes, or chasing us around the house and sliding all over the wooden floor for 5 minutes, before it all gets too much and then its back to being the hearthrug again.

Very tempted to get another now as greys are so more-ish and there are so many that need homes.

Springers and Wolfhounds also get the big thumbs up too though!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

Japanese Spitz for me, cos I have two and help out as much as I can with the Japanese Spitz rescue
    DSC01858.jpg

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    You forgot to add Border Terrier to that list......:D

My little lady

Well so I did, but it matters not, cause I've already had one ;)

Well so I did, but it matters not, cause I've already had one ;)

But you can never have just one Border.........

I want the following in no particular order

Staffie
    Rottweiler
    Another Italian Spinone
    Griffon Bruxellois
    Heinz 57
    Greyhound
    A man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

It's soooo hard to pick!! I've had a pomeranian and currently have a cocker spaniel- wouldn't go for another toy breed, but I'd DEFINATELY have another cocker! They're great, and so much fun :D

But dogs I want to have at some point are:
    Doberman
    Great Dane
    Irish Wolfhound
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    German Shepard
    Border Collie
    Greyhound
    Rottweiler
    Pit Bull
    Tamaskan

Knine wrote: »
    But you can never have just one Border.........

I want the following in no particular order
    A man

These have a lot of flaws due to bad breeding and incorrect handling in puppy hood, it takes a very long time to find one the physical make up and soundness of temperament they are supposed to have, so good luck on that front :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Well of course I'm going to say Boxer seeing as I have my beautiful bouncy Bailey!
    Yes they fart (a lot) but they've got the most animate faces, she knows exactly what I'm saying and I love having a giant hot water bottle to snuggle up to (apart from the better half) when the weather is crappy!

I do however love ALL dogs... big, small, abled, disabled.. etc etc!

174347.jpg
    Pic 1 is Bailey's "Puss in Boots" impression :-)

174348.JPG

Pic 2 is Bailey having a duvet day yesterday when we all snuggled in due to Hurricane Katia

174349.JPG
    Pic 3 is Bailey after a hard week... it's a dog's life!

These have a lot of flaws due to bad breeding and incorrect handling in puppy hood, it takes a very long time to find one the physical make up and soundness of temperament they are supposed to have, Ive yet to find one that managed to be toilet trained, so good luck on that front :p

There fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I always yelp with excitement when i see a wolfhound but my favourite is definetely greyhound. just the most easy going coolest animals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Greyhounds without a doubt are my favourite breed, followed closely by lurchers (which are a type rather than a breed)

I would LOVE a mini dachshund but I will always have rescues and can't imagine these come up in rescue here very much.

But my favourite 'type' of dog without a doubt are rescue oldies!! You just can't beat a grey face:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think I particularly have a favourite breed. Given two dogs to take home, I wouldn't pick the one that was of my preferred breed, I'd choose to take them both.

But the dogs which most often draw my attention and make me give them a second look would be the likes of; huskies, GSDs, akitas, rotties & bull breeds (staffs in particular). I also really appreciate a good-looking retriever or lab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Collies for me. I've had three to date. Very intelligent, very playful, very energetic, excellent guard dog and very loyal.

Advertisement