Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's you favourite type of Dog?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I love scruffy dogs, anything wire haired :D I'm in love with that Spinone posted above.

I'd really love an Irish Water Spaniel, they're such beautiful dogs, very gentle, but also energetic, and friendly while still being reserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

kylith wrote: »
    I love scruffy dogs, anything wire haired :D I'm in love with that Spinone posted above.

I'd really love an Irish Water Spaniel, they're such beautiful dogs, very gentle, but also energetic, and friendly while still being reserved.

Same here. I love any breeds with wire coats. I have also got that Spinoni's brother, he is brown roan. I imported his father from the UK.

174400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Irish Setters are my favourite breed, but I love most gundogs and hounds (scent and sight)

My dream list

Irish setter
    Llewellyn setter
    Hungarian Viszla
    German wire haired pointer
    Bracco Italiano
    Weimeraner
    Grand bleu de gascoyne
    Irish wolfhound
    Otterhound

a3614.jpg

Our Irish setters at home. Field dogs rather than the larger show dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

WIZE wrote: »
    westies of course

these are mine

174296.jpg

Oh mine too - hence the user name - love all dogs I have to say but these dogs are such characters and they have hearts like lions! I have two at present.

Lovely setters :D

The Spinoni are Hunt, point & Retrieve and there is no difference between the working and show stock. The dogs above do both and have litter mates/related stock that worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

My favorite would be The Staffordshire Bull Terrier & The American Pitbull :)
    Because well i have both :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Knine wrote: »
    Lovely setters :D

The Spinoni are Hunt, point & Retrieve and there is no difference between the working and show stock. The dogs above do both and have litter mates/related stock that worked.

Its mad how with some breeds there is such a disparity between the working and show dogs. It makes a mockery of some of the KC breed standards imo.

It does indeed, I think myself that in some breeds they allow exaggerations to creep into certain breeds as it makes them much more attractive in the ring, for example coat and size in setters.

Judges should pay attention to what the individual breed was designed for. The aim in working, terrier, hound breeds should be a dog that can both do a days work and has excellent conformation.

Compared to other gundog breeds the Spinoni is much more workman like rather than the glamour of some of the others in their group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Westies all the way for me, with JRTs a close second. If I had a huge garden I'd have a Lab or Retriever or Collie or twenty Westies!!! My Westie boy has taken to cuddling up to me on the couch recently, which of course is heaven.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

hands down a bull terrier for me and im getting one in 3-4 weeks cant wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

BOXERS XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Westies all the way for me, with JRTs a close second. If I had a huge garden I'd have a Lab or Retriever or Collie or twenty Westies!!! My Westie boy has taken to cuddling up to me on the couch recently, which of course is heaven.

my lotto dream - room and funds for 20 westies!!!! Fabulous and intelligent wee dogs>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Never thought Id have a favourite type, but after 9 years of Bob I've gotten fond of the brains that come with something with a bit of border collie in it! :)

I did recently fall a little in love with a lovely Staffordshire bull terrier though, and they were dogs that I never even thought of previously when thinking of breeds I might like!

hands down a bull terrier for me and im getting one in 3-4 weeks cant wait

these guys are gorgeus and every one i've met has been a sweetheart - put up pics when u get him.

i've had a few different breeds over the years - collies, beagles, jrts, mutts and i have loved them all but my westies have stole my heart - dont think i could ever change now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I love Springer Spaniels because I've owned one before and would do anything to have another one. Such happy little dogs :)

I also love Pugs since I've grown up with them and they're crazy and insane :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Boxers - I absolutely adore their squishy little faces and I love how they have to be close to you. Unfortunately my other half isn't keen on them so when we do get a dog it won't be a boxer :'-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Get him to spend a day with a boxer and he will change his mind hehehehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I love yorkies & staffs as I have both but love the look of a golden retriever. Also love GSD & Irish settlers. and the good old fashioned mutt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Knine wrote: »
    Same here. I love any breeds with wire coats. I have also got that Spinoni's brother, he is brown roan. I imported his father from the UK.

174400.jpg
    Oh, isn't he lovely! If I only had the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I love the look of a rottie but i don't think id trust one around kids and my nephew would be over often enough.

Best warn my 11 year old nephew and his friends that their goalie (my Rottie) can't play football with them anymore :p

I love so many breeds - GSDs, Rotties, all Mastiff / Bully breeds, Mals / Huskys /Spitz breeds in general, Boston Terriers, Greyhounds...the list could go on and on!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Favourite breeds? So many, but my top three would be:

Dobermann
    JRT
    Shih Tzu

Only because I'e had all three. I have a Shih Tzu at the moment who's the most lovable, cheeky and loving dog ever! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

I watched Marley and Me for the 1st time the other day. Only film that I blubbered while watching it :( Somebody should have warned me!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭droicead

my golden retiever,best dogs with kids!

i grew up with labradors but i think the retiever is a surf style lab!
    just my oponion

but ive always loved the wolfhound,a guy near me at home breeds them,
    majestic when they look at you,its like no other dog.
    what always stopped me getting one is the short life span they got,
    it would tear me apart if i had one and he died after 7 years

marley and me...what a movie,yeah i balled my eyes out after that one!!
    sea biscuit is another one of those:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

My Rottie Buddy and my son having a great time together.. As of Monday I will be posting with my 2 Rotties and my son :D60340736034073603407360340736034073

(slightly biased answer I know) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Cant believe no one has mentioned a Basset! I have a 4 year old and I love him unconditionally!
    I also like Rotties and Welsh terriers 001.JPGso maybe next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭bridgemond

Staffordshire bull terriers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I love mutts, the more of a mystery the better. :)

I have a soft spot for all of the RB's because I think they're ridiculously misunderstood (rb owners please see sig)

You can't beat staffies, seriously, if anyone wants to fall in love with this breed gimmie a shout, you can borrow Phoe. Staffie owners will understand. They are amazing little dogs in every way thinkable. Just Amazing.

My own dog is a mutt, we think a lab, staffie cross and he's a fab looking dog. He has the soft sweet look of a lab, but without the "roundness" they often have.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭c_lady89

Staffies and pit bulls have to be my fave!
    great with kids...what more could you want!
    so misunderstood but real softies!

this is my man!
    [IMG][/img]DSC00326-1.jpg
    [IMG][/img]DSC01149.jpg

Brittany Spaniel :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Beautiful face on that Brittany Spaniel.

Advertisement