Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New member! Just ordered my first kit!

Options
  • 13-09-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi all! Long time lurker first time poster

Just ordered my first starter kit. The 51euro Canadian Blonde one from Homebrew West. Also bought a few Ox-bar bottles and some brewing sugar.

must say im very excited and already grateful for the wealth of advice on this forum! Just a quick question, how long does the whole fermentation process take from set-up to bottling to conditioning? I've watched a whole load of craigs tube but it seems to vary?

Cheers!:D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Two weeks of fermentation and two or three weeks of conditioning is about the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

BeerNut wrote: »
    Two weeks of fermentation and two or three weeks of conditioning is about the minimum.

grand! I'll give it a bit longer so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

Best of luck with it! I'm also brewing a Coopers Canadian Blonde right now. First timer too so hopefully everything will turn out alright :)

I_am_LOST wrote: »
    Best of luck with it! I'm also brewing a Coopers Canadian Blonde right now. First timer too so hopefully everything will turn out alright :)

if it doesn't ill still try drink it anyway haha

scrapsmac wrote: »
    if it doesn't ill still try drink it anyway haha

:eek: Have you tasted bad beer before? :p

If it gets infected or goes off there's no way I'm drinking that!

I'm pretty sure I did everything right. Bit paranoid about the sanitising though. I did sanitise and clean everything but even just placing the equipment down on a worktop before use could harbour some germs

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Looks like there's 4 of us starting off atm at least :D

Myself and greenrizla are on the other thread. I'm doing the canadian blonde too. Hopefully it all works out well. I tried to spend an awful lot of time cleaning my equipment too as I am so paranoid about it getting infected.

Best of luck to you both.

Yawns wrote: »
    Looks like there's 4 of us starting off atm at least :D

Myself and greenrizla are on the other thread. I'm doing the canadian blonde too. Hopefully it all works out well. I tried to spend an awful lot of time cleaning my equipment too as I am so paranoid about it getting infected.

Best of luck to you both.

You too Yawns! How is yours coming along? What are you bottling in?

I'm like a child on christmas eve waiting for this stuff. I'm weirdly looking forward to doing the whole sanitising craic!

I picked up a few crates of empty beer bottles in the pub I work in. 2 cases coors, 2 cases bud. I didn't get there in time to stop the other lad from throwing the others into the bank and smashing em. My aim is for 3 cases of each so I can have 2 different brews in them. Bud bottles in blue crate, coors in coors crate. I have a capper and bag of caps. I washed all the bottles last night in the dishwasher which removed the labels too so all handy enough

Gonna wash em again and make sure they are sterilized prior to bottling tho.
    I got the same kit as you too and so far it seems to be coming along. I was going to keep at 22 but BeerNut is advising around 18 so I will take his advice on board. The airlock is bubbling away happily enough. No smell so the gf can't moan either.

Oh and I was in Heatons today and picked up the big stock pot, that will be so handy as all I had was a smaller stockpot which was just at the brim when I was brewing my kit. I was so nervous :D Now I have a big pot just for brewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Newbie here also!

Keep it at 18 C? Oooops...I've been busy making sure I keep it 20-24 range minimum. Must try cool it down now!

Fermentation started pretty quick for me and there seems to be a lot of CO2 coming out as it's constantly bubbling and the lid appears pushed up a bit (it's sealed tight though), so I'm afraid it might blow off any minute now :eek: :p

Krausen has formed so it's going well :) There's a lot of gunk at the top of the krausen though so tempted to stir it in but I'll wait til fermentation stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Yawns wrote: »
    I picked up a few crates of empty beer bottles in the pub I work in. 2 cases coors, 2 cases bud.

Hi Yawns,

I'd be very wary about using Coors and Bud bottles. The brewers don't see these bottles as fit for re-use. Notice how when bottles are being sorted that heineken, bulmers, coca cola all get put back in crates and sent back so the publican gets their deposit back.

Bud, Coors, Corona and others go to the bottle bank for smashing down so I don't know if these bottles will stand up to capping.

Personally, I hate cappers and started drinking Grolsh! For me using a capper is like tightening a guitar string that feels like it's too tight (anyone who has done this and has the scars know what i mean!).

Best of luck with the rest of it though, my first batch have only just matured!

• Advertisement

Cork Boy wrote: »
    I don't know if these bottles will stand up to capping.
    I'm sure they will. I re-cap non-reusable bottles all the time and have yet to have one break. My caveat is that they're only 33cl capacity: a lot more to wash and fill, and more yeasty sediment in the finished beer. Bigger is better when it comes to bottles, IMO.
    started drinking Grolsh!
    Green glass isn't a great idea unless you're storing them in a light-free environment. Switch to Flensburger ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Personally, I hate cappers and started drinking Grolsh! For me using a capper is like tightening a guitar string that feels like it's too tight (anyone who has done this and has the scars know what i mean!).

I started migrating to Grolsh bottles after my 3rd or 4th brew. I find them great in almost every way except their weight. There is a massive difference between a crate of full Grolsh bottles v.s. a crate of Coopers Plastic bottles.

While they might be vulnerable to light as BeerNut mentioned, I never have them in any sort of light at all. They are either in a cupboard or in the fridge. I also have a good few Flensburger bottles but they are tiny! (330ml) I can't remember ever seeing 500ml versions. I was saving them for botting Mead or some other exotic brew for the ladies. :pac:

I also over carbed an entire batch of Larger (1.5 Coopers Drops each) in Grolsh bottles and they all seemed to 'self regulate'. I noticed a few bubbles had come out through the seals in the caps which leads me to believe they vent when the pressure becomes too much. The POP! when opening them really is frightening compared to the normal pop.:)

Aye I was thinking about bigger bottles due to the smaller size of the bud and Coors. Only chose bud and coors because they were brown and I can get as many as I need. Go through a few cases a week in a small pub.

I could use large bulmers but I've never liked them. I may try get a few swingtops or so.
    I do have a closet to keep the bottles in but would still prefer the brown bottles for now. Although I do love the look of the Flensburger bottles :D

Going to go to the pub to see if I can get some bottles. What brands of beer have 500ml brown bottles?

Also, I need about 48 bottles is that right?

Shiny wrote: »
    I also have a good few Flensburger bottles but they are tiny! (330ml) I can't remember ever seeing 500ml versions.
    Flensburger Weizen and Pils come in 500ml swingtops. Not a fan of the pils but the weizen is pretty decent. They're in the 4-for-€10 in my local offy too :cool:
    I_am_LOST wrote: »
    What brands of beer have 500ml brown bottles?
    Most of them. The question is whether your pub sells them. Erdinger and Krombacher are often found in pubs that don't have a big range. The Guinness/Macardles/Bulmers pint bottles are great: 568ml and really robust, but they're designed for reuse and have a deposit on them. Don't nick 'em if you want to stay friends with the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Hirschbrau also have a decent bottle and a quality variety of beers :D Bit on the more expensive side but they do have a higher than average ABV :cool:

so folks my kit should be coming tomorrow! I ordered brewing sugar along with it. I didn't get spraymalt and I've since read it can help with the flavour.

the guides I've read include spraymalt. Do I just fire the brewing sugar in instead at the same stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bugsyboy1

I'd give it some spray malt. Maybe 50:50 with the brewing sugar. The taste is so so much better. More rounded and deep. All sugar can be sharp, thin and even a little cidery.

46 bottles of a beer that is only just about okay (especially if it's one of your first brews) can be disheartening. Make a beer that you'll want others to taste as well. Letting others taste your work and hearing their surprise is magic!!
    Paul

Bugsyboy1 wrote: »
    I'd give it some spray malt. Maybe 50:50 with the brewing sugar. The taste is so so much better. More rounded and deep. All sugar can be sharp, thin and even a little cidery.

46 bottles of a beer that is only just about okay (especially if it's one of your first brews) can be disheartening. Make a beer that you'll want others to taste as well. Letting others taste your work and hearing their surprise is magic!!
    Paul

aw man my stuff is arriving today and I was hoping to get started! gutted! I'm up North and the nearest homebrew shop is way over in Belfast :(

scrapsmac wrote: »
    aw man my stuff is arriving today and I was hoping to get started! gutted!
    Just go with what you have -- you'll still have beer at the end. Just bear in mind this lesson, and all the other ones you'll learn today, for the next batch.

• Advertisement

Ordered 1kg of spraymalt and a couple of bags of carbonation drops. Should be with me on Monday so I'll wait till then. As BugsyBoy said, I want to make it as tasty as possible.

What's a few days when It'll be two/three weeks fermenting!?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 qazxsw1

There's an italian lager, "Peroni, Nastro Azzurro" available in Dunnes - comes in 660ml bottles i.e., twice the size of two standard longnecks and easyl enough on the taste buds.

One pint = 568.261485 ml according to google ;)

If size is your thing you could do worse than sampling a few - takes a standard beer cap.

Bought one about six weeks ago, can't remember the price, but wasn't outrageous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroni_Brewery

660ml Peroni Nastro Azzurro bottle comes in @ 35 Bottles per 23 Litre/5 Gallons

qazxsw1 wrote: »
    There's an italian lager, "Peroni, Nastro Azzurro" available in Dunnes - comes in 660ml bottles i.e., twice the size of two standard longnecks and easyl enough on the taste buds.

One pint = 568.261485 ml according to google ;)

If size is your thing you could do worse than sampling a few - takes a standard beer cap.

Bought one about six weeks ago, can't remember the price, but wasn't outrageous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroni_Brewery

Really nice beer! Drank a load of it when I was over in Italy. Don't They come in green bottles as far as I remember? Might be a problem if you're concerned about brown vs green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Hey - another newbie here! Myself and my housemates invested in this kit from HBW about a month ago.

It came with 44 Ox-Bar PET bottles and since ordered an additional 44 bottles to allow bottling the next batch without having to drink the previous one first.

We've tried a few batches since;

1. Canadian Blonde Lager + 1kg Dextrose
    This came with the kit, it was drinkable but didn't really carbonate for us using 1.5 carbonation drops. As a result it was sweeter than it was meant to be as the carbonation sugar hadn't fermented. We reckon now we were storing it at too low a temperature.

2. Finlandia Traditional Ale + 1kg Dextrose + plus 500g extra light spraymalt
    This is nearly two weeks in the bottles now, it wasn't carbonating like the first batch so it's somewhere warmer for the last week. I've one in the fridge to try this evening but will probably give an extra week.

3. 3.2 Kg All Malt Coopers Brewmaster Irish Stout Kit (incl 1.5kg can Light Malt Extract)
    Bottled this on Monday. As a Guinness drinker I'm looking forward to this one and it tasted promising when bottling.

4. Muntons Connoisseur's Wheat Beer 1.8 Kg + 1kg Muntons Brew Enhancer
    Brewed this on Monday, it's bubbling away in the corner. :)

Any of you in Galway? We could arrange a meet-up to sample or exchange brews!

foto joe wrote: »
    Hey - another newbie here! Myself and my housemates invested in this kit from HBW about a month ago.

It came with 44 Ox-Bar PET bottles and since ordered an additional 44 bottles to allow bottling the next batch without having to drink the previous one first.

We've tried a few batches since;

1. Canadian Blonde Lager + 1kg Dextrose
    This came with the kit, it was drinkable but didn't really carbonate for us using 1.5 carbonation drops. As a result it was sweeter than it was meant to be as the carbonation sugar hadn't fermented. We reckon now we were storing it at too low a temperature.

2. Finlandia Traditional Ale + 1kg Dextrose + plus 500g extra light spraymalt
    This is nearly two weeks in the bottles now, it wasn't carbonating like the first batch so it's somewhere warmer for the last week. I've one in the fridge to try this evening but will probably give an extra week.

3. 3.2 Kg All Malt Coopers Brewmaster Irish Stout Kit (incl 1.5kg can Light Malt Extract)
    Bottled this on Monday. As a Guinness drinker I'm looking forward to this one and it tasted promising when bottling.

4. Muntons Connoisseur's Wheat Beer 1.8 Kg + 1kg Muntons Brew Enhancer
    Brewed this on Monday, it's bubbling away in the corner. :)

Any of you in Galway? We could arrange a meet-up to sample or exchange brews!

Up in Derry man! what do you think went wrong with the carbonation on the Candadian Blonde? That's what im starting on Monday! too many drops or too little?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I was storing the bottles at ~17degs which I'm told is a bit low and while they would still carbonate eventually it'd be slower. I only gave them 2-3 weeks in the bottles.

Peroni, Nastro Azzurro are green bottles alright, not a prob for me as I have a dark hide for storing my finished products

Well folks my kit should finally be coming today! Got 1kg of Spraymalt, 1kg of brewing sugar. Just a quick question, which guide should I now follow? The one on www.beoir.org? I've done a good bit of search here and there seems to be a few people go with it.

Apologies for the questions - I just want to make sure I get it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Go with the one on Beoir, it has the typical kit instructions and it also includes tonnes of helpful tips.

Also be careful when softening the extract, I find that air always gets trapped under the cans and periodically spews boiling water out of the pot. I reduce this by tipping them at an angle every so often to release the pressure.

Don't worry about asking the questions. I think everyone enjoys answering them and understands the initial worries of your first brew. :)

Advertisement