Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speed of PC's in Daedalus?

Options
  • 13-09-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what is going on? I was there yesterday and today and both times they were incredibly slow. I didn't have time to ask at the front desk as there was a big queue..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

As in the internet speed or the actual PCs?
    Because both networks have been acting up for me the last few days :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Internet is shít everywhere, including on campus accommodation :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

._. wrote: »
    As in the internet speed or the actual PCs?
    Because both networks have been acting up for me the last few days :\

I'm not sure exactly - I was trying to print stuff from blackboard but it also took ages for me to log on. Others seemed to be having the same problem...Really annoying

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've noticed the speed of eduroam and WaveLAN to be slower on campus accommodation today and yesterday - I thought it was just me, but maybe not know having read this thread!

I think the computers in general take much longer to log in with the new Windows 7 interface but I didn't notice an actual difference in the running speed!

Ah no you would defo have noticed this. It was taking about 5 mins to download pdf's & ppt lectures around 15 pages long. Please don't say we'll have to just get used to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Was having trouble with the WaveLan all day today, pages not opening and internet being extremely slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Ah no you would defo have noticed this. It was taking about 5 mins to download pdf's & ppt lectures around 15 pages long. Please don't say we'll have to just get used to it!

Do you mean using one of the PCs in the Daedulus or just using the wireless on your laptop whilst in the Daedulus?

Do you mean using one of the PCs in the Daedulus or just using the wireless on your laptop whilst in the Daedulus?

Using one of the pc's in one of the computer labs. The ppl around me were having the same issues so its something to do with my profile.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm in Daedalus now, it's painfully slow and it's nowhere near full.

But interestingly:
    1482107361.png

Timbuk2 - any chance you could ask at the front desk whats going on? (if there isn't a queue and you have time). Pls & thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm in Daedalus now, it's painfully slow and it's nowhere near full.

But interestingly:
    1482107361.png

UCD is directly connected to the INEX. Likely speedtest is downloading from an INEX peer and so bypassing UCD's internet gateway/proxy.

Or the gateway itself is just a piece of ****, so individial download requests are fine, but browsing is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

In library on eduroam now:

1482141588.png

Edit: retested with download stopped!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Go-Go-Gadget

Science Hub and Conway Wavelan are at crawling speed. Eduroam seems alright though, not great but OK.

Timbuk2 - any chance you could ask at the front desk whats going on? (if there isn't a queue and you have time). Pls & thanks

Hi sorry, I only saw this now - I had a lecture at 10 so left after posting that and didn't see your post!

But there was an annoucement about it on UCD Connect so UCD are aware of the issue! As to what's causing it, I haven't a clue! I just thought it was a bit ironic that the download/upload limit was so high when the internet itself was crawling.

Although I'm on campus eduroam now and it's fine, not slow at all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone else experiencing frequent disconnects with eduroam?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Anyone else experiencing frequent disconnects with eduroam?
    Yes. It keeps randomly booting me off the network, so I have to keep putting in my password in the box that pops up to re-authenticate. This has been happening since I first moved into UCD so I emailed them about it and they basically told me it was apple's fault and never gave me any advice or anything with it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Same problem happening with me- rage!! :mad:

Hi sorry, I only saw this now - I had a lecture at 10 so left after posting that and didn't see your post!

But there was an annoucement about it on UCD Connect so UCD are aware of the issue! As to what's causing it, I haven't a clue! I just thought it was a bit ironic that the download/upload limit was so high when the internet itself was crawling.

Although I'm on campus eduroam now and it's fine, not slow at all!

Sorry just saw this now. I was actually over there this afternoon and everything was working really well - faster than it usually does even. Didn't notice the announcement - at least they are aware of it as you say. Hopefully it'll be sorted out now. Thanks for getting back to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes. It keeps randomly booting me off the network, so I have to keep putting in my password in the box that pops up to re-authenticate. This has been happening since I first moved into UCD so I emailed them about it and they basically told me it was apple's fault and never gave me any advice or anything with it :/
    I'm on a Mac as well. You shouldn't have to re-authenticate though. When the username/password window pops up, click cancel and select the network again from the Airport/WiFi menu. It should just reconnect.

Is anyone experiencing this problem with eduoroam on a PC/Windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'm on a Mac as well. You shouldn't have to re-authenticate though. When the username/password window pops up, click cancel and select the network again from the Airport/WiFi menu. It should just reconnect.

Is anyone experiencing this problem with eduoroam on a PC/Windows?

Its fine on windows 7 and android for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

seamus wrote: »
    UCD is directly connected to the INEX. Likely speedtest is downloading from an INEX peer and so bypassing UCD's internet gateway/proxy.

UCD is connected to HEAnet and HEAnet is connected to INEX; UCD has never been connected to INEX directly. You can check this out with a simple traceroute from UCD.

BTW, I wouldn't put too much faith in Speedtest results. Speedtest and other browser based bandwidth testers can be useful as a general indicator of the order of magnitude of your bandwidth, but they are not accurate, particularly at higher speeds.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Have you upgraded to OS X 10.7 Lion by any chance?
    This was happening to me as well for a while, but I somehow managed to fix this.
    First of all, go to http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/eduroam/ and download the certificate/config profile for your OSX.
    Then delete eduroam from your Profiles, and activate the newly downloaded one and try to reconnect to the eduroam network. It worked for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Been having the reauthentication issue myself.. Though it's not a new problem.
    Seems to happen where there's a poor connection.
    (running windows 7)

Advertisement