Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount leader

Options
  • 13-09-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I was wondering does anyone on here have any information about mount leader... especially during the War of Independence? e.g. Prisoners kept there etc. Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

I take it you mean Mountleader house in Millstreet? I don't think so. I believe it used to be owned to a protestant family - the Leaders. That's all i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Temb

Hi
    My grandfather, Percival Benn started as a farmer in Canada (1909) and later rented Mount Leader (1916) from the Mount Leader family in order to rear Dexter cattle. My father was born at Mount Leader in 1918 and his father was killed 18 months later. I am trying to discover the circumstances of his death because it had a profound impact on my father and his brothers' lives. Mount Leader was abandoned by the owners and as you may know, is a ruin. Any help would be much appreciated.

Coincidently, about the same time (1916), Katje Casement the sister-in-law of Sir Roger Casement was living with my maternal grandmother during his trail and execution.

Advertisement