Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with over excited springer

• 13-09-2011 8:08pm

so im hoping someone in here can give me some advice!!

six weeks ago i took a springer spaniel home from a rescue, he is the most lovely easy-going dog in the world, usually!!

he loves his walks, and we usually go out for an hour or hour and a half everyday, but he just gets so excited im afraid he is getting over heated, i have started bringing water with me and trying to get him to drink during the walk but he loves running sooo much, he doesnt want to stop to drink!!
    how can i calm him down?

also, another issue, im trying to get him used to being alone for few hours(this hasnt happened up til now but will be more frequent in future) when i come home he is shaking all over, i dont know if thats because he is excited or so worried/scared when im away? can anyone shed any light?

he is 3 years old, he was rehomed before me for a few months but it didnt work out, they left him outside all the time and he used dig his way out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I highly recommend the Kong toys, stuff with wet food or left over veggies and stuff (loads of recipes online), put it in the freezer and then give the frozen kong to the dog, allowing a min or two once out of freezer or he'll get his tongue stuck!
    He will get very engrossed in licking the food from the kong, walk out of the room once he's busy and return a min or two later, gradually increase time, and eventually you should be able to leave the house for a while. Before I got a second dog I had to leave 3 kongs stuffed with the dogs breakfast, my fella got very upset alone. It also helps to tire them out before you leave (I know its hard with a springer).
    Mental stimulation helps too, tires the mind, combined with the exercise it may help, a little training or some hiding games (hide food around the house) get him to find them.
    Its also very important to set a routine, if he's anxious it helps, he knows when you are leaving and knows he will get toys, treats, or something, this takes his mind off you going. Keep it short to start and build up time you are gone.
    Hope he settles soon, it can take a while.

http://www.zooplus.ie/ask?query=kong&num=20&form=search
    Kong toys, just incase you don't know what they are.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

3 year old springer = excited :rolleyes:

We swear ours doesnt sleep lol

i know he is an energetic dog, im just afraid im letting him get too excited when out walking, im afraid he will do himself damage!!

he pants like mad, his chest goes crazy and his heart beats 90 to the dozen, this is my first dog since i was a child, i need to make sure im doing everything right!!

bubblypop wrote: »
    i know he is an energetic dog, im just afraid im letting him get too excited when out walking, im afraid he will do himself damage!!

he pants like mad, his chest goes crazy and his heart beats 90 to the dozen, this is my first dog since i was a child, i need to make sure im doing everything right!!

Mine is exactly the same, I wouldnt worry about it.

They just have so much energy. We bring ours to the beach and throw his stick into the water and he forgets to close his mouth before he puts his head in to retrive it :rolleyes:

Say it to your vet the next time you are in with them to set your mind at rest.

But any springer i know is the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My guy is 9 now and still as mad as a hatter :D I regularly get comments about how well he looks for his age, they are a mad breed, and just so much fun :D

The breed is designed to be an all day working dog so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I gave up bringing water with me as Boe much prefers to find puddles and then empty the water bowl when he gets home :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

With my springers this problem just went away once they settled into a "routine". That makes it sound like their a child :D But I would definitely recommend training, just basic stuff like sit, stay, lie down etc. Mental stimulation wares Springers out more than Physical in my opinion. Kong toys may help but my Springers completely ignored them and chose to chew on the doormat instead :rolleyes:

My guy is 9 now and still as mad as a hatter :D I regularly get comments about how well he looks for his age, they are a mad breed, and just so much fun :D

The breed is designed to be an all day working dog so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I gave up bringing water with me as Boe much prefers to find puddles and then empty the water bowl when he gets home :D

9 :eek: Does that mean my retirement isnt soon :rolleyes:

They are just the best dog ever :D
    Always wanting to please and to be loved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Welcome to the world of springers. They are a very high energy dog, mine were working dogs and would be out for up to 5 hours and I would get home wrecked and they were looking at me thinking why ya stopping now?
    They love to run and run and run, into everything and their whole bodies look like they are being controlled by their tails. They will take a drink when they are thirsty and more than lilkely out of the muckiest water they can find rather than the fresh stuff ya have with you.
    They love to swim so is there a lake or river near you that you can bring him?
    My last 2 were 15 before they started to walk at my pace and Flint that I have now is waiting at the door as soon as he sees you move from the chair. You are going to have loads of fun and find that you have a breed of dog that is so loving and fun to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

A good low protein food will calm him down as much as your going to get :D Try something like Burns or Luath (18% protein). If he's on a very high protein food at the minute though go for something in between the two as a stepping stone for a few months or mix the two together for a few months. A big drop suddenly, will make him ravenous and he'll eat everything round him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

bubblypop wrote: »

Collie here is the same and it used to scare me like this, but five years in and nothing bad has happened.. lol....

• Advertisement

A good low protein food will calm him down as much as your going to get :D Try something like Burns or Luath (18% protein). If he's on a very high protein food at the minute though go for something in between the two as a stepping stone for a few months or mix the two together for a few months. A big drop suddenly, will make him ravenous and he'll eat everything round him!

This has helped collie too.

She gets eg a raw chicken leg in the morning, then a home cooked meal at night, which is usually chicken stew with vegetables, barley, pulses and wholemeal bread. Just now there is a glut of greens and lettuce in the garden and these chop in finely too. It fills her and settles her for the night. And she loves it.

4 years and springers start to get quiet. Untill then you have a little tornado . We have one springer that vibrates so much she is nearly able to enter another dimension.

4 years and springers start to get quiet. Untill then you have a little tornado . We have one springer that vibrates so much she is nearly able to enter another dimension.

lol; I was told two years re our JRT Basset cross, for stopping bouncing I mean. I have a stair gate and each morning I cannot get out for this four legged rubber ball.

Good to see so much health and energy though..

Advertisement