Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on a Suzuki Swift 1996, any help/knowledge

• 13-09-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I'm going to look at a Suzuki Swift tomorrow, its a 96, so I'm not expecting much. I don't know anything about these cars what so ever, but I'd imagine thy're not the worst car in their class, are they? If anyone can tell me bit about them it would be great; problems and nuances and the like, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Whatcher wanna know? Spent a lot of time in/under/around Swifts. 1.0 or 1.3? 3 cylinders or four? The one drawback, and it's the only one apart from the looks, is that they are a bit poor in a crash- not the worst by any stretch, but not the best. Mechanically, they are as good as it gets. They will absorb abuse that no other small car, including micras and starlets will. You can do front wheel dounuts in them all day long and nothing will break. They are super economical, very quick indeed, and a hoot to drive with great handling, brilliant in the twisty stuff, even the 1.0 3 cyl. absolutely flies for a small engined small car. Spare parts are rarely needed, they are usually fixable without, brake pads last for ages, clutches are very very strong and the engines are unburstable. If you don't mind the looks(I actually like them), they are a brilliant buy and one of the cheapest cars to keep on the road. They are also a hoot to drive, did I mention that? Up there with the Civic in terms of longevity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

you would have to shoot it to kill it, go for it they are bombproof little motors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

parents used to have one years ago and could never say enough good things about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With any 15 year old car judge it on it's current condition rather than reputation. Make sure it runs ok, isn't overheating, no fluids are leaking, steering and brakes are working fine. Does it have much NCT left on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pARTner81

Nice one peeps, thats a great help. With a bit of luck I'll have it tomorrow. Thanks again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Post a few pics when you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Apart from bean can build quality, they are a little flyer. Very reliable, nippy and extremely economical. Highly recommended if you want a good motor for peanuts. Gearboxs are weak on early ones though. Make sure it hooks the gears properly. Any baulking or funny noises from the box then walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Front crossmembers rust away to nothing - make sure it's okay, as they can be a nightmare to source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Check the sills for corrosion carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

I have only recently departed with my Swift. I got it free 3 years ago, it was a 1997 model. Absolute beaut. The exhaust was a little bandy, but other than that, it was awesome. I miss it alot. It had loads of little things wrong, just from wear and tear, but it was so reliable. I miss it terribly. Great car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement