Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buisness Information Systems q??

• 13-09-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Im starting bis next monday and i was wondering if anyone had a booklist for this course? Its my first day in college next week and I dont want to turn up unprepared! Please answer someone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Hey, I'm not in BIS but no course will expect you to have books the first week, and lots don't have them at all. I'm starting final year and I've never bought a book for my course, get them out of the library if I need them. Each lecturer you have will tell you what you'll need to get for that class.

Just bring an a4 pad and a pen for the first couple of days anyway. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Going in to fourth year BIS. As confusticated said, bring an A4 pad, you're not going to need any books for the first few days. You can get most if not all the books from the library and any that you can't the second years will probably be selling on to ye anyway. The only books I'd say that you will really want to look at are the programming ones. They tend to be in high demand, so if you need it for something, get to the library quick. Don't think you're gonna be able to grab a copy the day before an exam or anything.
    One of the lecturers posts here the odd time, he might be able to give you a bit more help if you need anything. The lecturers are all pretty sound anyway, so you should be grand. It's a good course, I hope you enjoy it.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 claddy

The only book you will need is the visual basic book. Visual basic is the only difficult part of first year, the rest of the course is easy enough. People from 2nd year will send emails to your class selling books so i suggest you get it by that. You will have no work to do for the first 6 weeks or so. enjoy it while you can. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭JeremyH

I should have addressed this in the in the orientation lecture - sorry!

Don't buy any books for now. Lecturers will give you a list of recommended and required texts. If a book is 'required', you really should buy it, if it is 'recommended', you can get by if you borrow it from the library from time to time.

Also, be wary of edition changes. The programming book is changing this year so don't buy a second hand copy from the 2nd year students as they used an older edition.

As the others said, a pad and pen will be enough to get you through next week at the very least.

Good luck.

Jeremy

Advertisement