Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assignment Help

Options
  • 13-09-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi!
    I'm a Culinary Arts student and one of our assignments is to hold a themed event for 30 people. We have to design our own menu, decorate the college restaurant, have the music n blady blady blah.

I've been racking my head for a few days now and I can't come up with something original that has an edge.
    If any1 has any ideas id be more than grateful!!!! :D

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭labradoodlelady

How about picking a country and going with that theme. Do you know what the others will be doing? Italian/mexican could end up being quite common!

Or, how about a healthy eating/calorie concious meal? Kids birthday party? Christmas dinner?

I remember a friend of mine from college had a lot of international students in his course. They did a "your country' dish theme each one night for a week. Polish, French, Russian, English, Irish (irish stew). Incidentally Tesco blue label stew but went down a treat nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

agh!! wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm a Culinary Arts student and one of our assignments is to hold a themed event for 30 people. We have to design our own menu, decorate the college restaurant, have the music n blady blady blah.

I've been racking my head for a few days now and I can't come up with something original that has an edge.
    If any1 has any ideas id be more than grateful!!!! :D

Thanks!!!

Roman banquet - lots of people in togas, benches to lounge on. look up web for original roman dishes...oh and dont forget the dancing girls etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Wedding - that would be easy!

Coeliac friendly meal, vegetarian hippie feast, afternoon tea party (that could be cool - string quartet and cucumber sandwiches), Deep South party (fried chicken, jazz music, New Orleans feel), 'Under the Sea' event (lots of sea food and decorated like a prom event in the US - I think they had something like that in 'Grease').

I think a kid's party could be good though - people are mental these days about having sugar free, allergy this and that, low fat, organic, home cooked birthday parties.. You could do very well if you researched it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

How about a deconstructed Christmas dinner theme? You could have it in a summer setting like a picnic with loads of blankets. Yorkshire puddings could become little hand-held bowls with a filling, turkey and ham tea sandwiches with the crusts cut off, make jelly in orange wedges like this served with little ice cream cones...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi OP - Have you considered that your tutors may use this forum? Could be a bit tricky if they copped that you used ideas from posters here after them spending all that time teaching you Culinary Art.

Just a thought.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Good artists copy, great artists steal! :)

how about a date night theme? Food considered to be aphrodisiac, textures and tastes to stimulate the senses, mood lighting, complimentary music, taste test games with blindfolds for speed dating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Or you could take a historical era and research the menus of that time. Victorian menus are easily found or Renaissance feast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hi OP - Have you considered that your tutors may use this forum? Could be a bit tricky if they copped that you used ideas from posters here after them spending all that time teaching you Culinary Art.

Just a thought.

tHB
    Could they really mark down for that? I don't really see this as being any different than asking friends or family for ideas. No-one's been posting recipes or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

gozunda wrote: »
    Roman banquet - lots of people in togas, benches to lounge on. look up web for original roman dishes...oh and dont forget the dancing girls etc

As long as its not too historically acurate, Romans ate themselves silly at banquets and made themselves vomit so they could eat more!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Corsendonk wrote: »
    As long as its not too historically acurate, Romans ate themselves silly at banquets and made themselves vomit so they could eat more!

This is the scenario down the local every friday night....(with "drink" instead of food)

Romans had the first gormet culture btw with celebrity chefs and cookbooks! (the whole vomitorium thing is no longer considered to be accurate btw)

The roman custom of dining whilst reclining is considered to be much better for the digestive system than sitting upright in a chair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Eviledna wrote: »

how about a date night theme? Food considered to be aphrodisiac, textures and tastes to stimulate the senses, mood lighting, complimentary music, taste test games with blindfolds for speed dating?

Ooooh me loves this idea:P
    Asparagus
    Oysters
    Chocolate
    Honey
    Spices
    A bottle of bubbly...

And have your waiting staff serve your guests in lingerie and all...

Good one, Eviledna:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Ooooh me loves this idea:P
    Asparagus
    Oysters
    Chocolate
    Honey
    Spices
    A bottle of bubbly...

And have your waiting staff serve your guests in lingerie and all...

Good one, Eviledna:D

Front page of the Sunday World! "Taxpayers pay for students drunken orgy with Teachers":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

you could do a 10 mile radius menu.

everything produced within 10 miles of where you are, would take alot of planning and research.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrmrbungle

why not food that anyone can make and just make the easiest stuff? give out recipes at the end

Advertisement