Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin County Council video re Grand Canal cycle path lights

• 13-09-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Re the Grand Canal cycle path mentioned in the infamous "Should traffic laws be further enforced for cyclists?" :cool: thread, among others, I came across this today by chance (apologies if it's already posted elsewhere, but I didn't find it):

Haven't been out that way myself recently, so I don't know what stage things are actually at, nor do I know exactly how the sequence will go and work out in practice. Will be interesting...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

Bicycle sensors! At last! They should put them on regular roads for bicycles turning right on a T-junction. You'd be waiting for ages until there's a car that goes the same way as yourself. I tried and that sensor didn't sense me at all :( Had to wait for a car :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

stas wrote: »
    Bicycle sensors! At last!
    Yeah - the shock of it :D
    They should put them on regular roads for bicycles turning right on a T-junction. You'd be waiting for ages until there's a car that goes the same way as yourself. I tried and that sensor didn't sense me at all :( Had to wait for a car :)
    Not good :mad:. Googling the "regular" sensors recently I got the impression that some can also detect cycles, but don't know if there are any of these in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

that video shows a ''perfect'' world version of what actually goes on,nothing said about the pedestrians that walk out without looking midway threw the path or the retards that play cycle chicken.Its a great idea in theroy but it wasnt finished properly IMO

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Bicycle sensors! At last! They should put them on regular roads for bicycles turning right on a T-junction. You'd be waiting for ages until there's a car that goes the same way as yourself. I tried and that sensor didn't sense me at all :( Had to wait for a car :)
    Not good :mad:. Googling the "regular" sensors recently I got the impression that some can also detect cycles, but don't know if there are any of these in Ireland

Yes, most of the in-road sensors can pick up cyclists -- there are often left over signs of where they are in the road, sometimes it's a case of having to mover over them (ie they may not be where you are at the side of the road). Other times they are broken due to road works etc or just not able to detect cyclists.

Sometimes there are also sensors on the top of traffic lights (kind of looks like a web car) -- for these you need to move around into a position where the sensor picks you up, you will know when the dot of a red light turns on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I suppose you have to start somewhere. Maybe it'll become familiar and people will start to pay attention...

• Advertisement

Passed the bike lights on the canal yesterday evening and again this morning after 10am -- yesterday most were off and one of the bike lights was set to say at red, and this morning all of them were off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I used one of those cycle paths purely by accident a while back, I was looking for parking near Milanos on Baggot street and ended up on one of them.

Full of pedestrians, at night they were nearly invisible under the trees along the canal. Furthermore, if you need to make a turn at some point, there seem to be very few places to do so. The lane is flanked by a high kerb with only occasional openings.

Nice idea with the lights though, but I'm still not sold on the canal path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Awww, baby traffic lights for bikes, cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

I love the part at 54 seconds where the pedestrians stand patiently for the cyclist to pass!

I cycle this route every day to and from work and I can guarantee you pedestrians wont be waiting patiently at green cycle lights.
    The section of cycle path from Baggott street bridge up to Leeson street brige is pretty much used as a footpath by all.
    Like mindless zombies they wander up and down it every morning and evening.

Also, unless the bike sensor operates the lights quickly there's no way in hell cyclist are going to wait... mad bastardos don't wait for no man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Can anyone pls tell me where does this start and finish??

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

In Copenhagen, if you cycle at a constant 20km/hr you wont have to stop at a traffic light on the cycleways as the junctions are timed for bikes.

ccull123 wrote: »
    Can anyone pls tell me where does this start and finish??

thanks!

All over the place at the moment. Work is advanced but still on going on a large section, at a key junction and all but one other junction the lights are currently out, or at least were so this morning.

When finished, it will go from Portobello to Sheriff Street in the North Docklands. Starting at the North Docklands it goes over the Samuel Beckett Bridge and into Grand Canal Square and then along the Grand Canal, intersecting with:
    • Pearse Street / Ringsend
    • Grand Canal Street
    • Lower Mount Street / Northumberland Road
    • Lower Baggot Street / Pembroke Road
    • The N11 at Leeson Street
    • Under the Luas Green Line at Charlemont
    • Charlemont‎ Street / Ranelagh Road
    • Richmond Street / Lower Rathmines Road

It then ends in Portobello where you can continue on the quite streets along the canal as far as Harold's Cross.

teol wrote: »
    In Copenhagen, if you cycle at a constant 20km/hr you wont have to stop at a traffic light on the cycleways as the junctions are timed for bikes.

To be fair, is there that many routes in Copenhagen which have green wave and there there is 10 signalised junctions in the short space of 3.5km. And many of the intersecting junctions are with primary routes into the city centre.

We will only be able to tell how well the lights work when it's all up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I used one of those cycle paths purely by accident a while back, I was looking for parking near Milanos on Baggot street and ended up on one of them.

Full of pedestrians, at night they were nearly invisible under the trees along the canal. Furthermore, if you need to make a turn at some point, there seem to be very few places to do so. The lane is flanked by a high kerb with only occasional openings.

Nice idea with the lights though, but I'm still not sold on the canal path.

I used a stretch of it on Sunday after the Sky Ride to get home with my 12 yr old son. Didn't meet pedestrians on it, but I did notice two of them in this video at 1:16.

If it is the beginning of a usable additional infrastructure for bikes then it is of course welcome. The youngfella thought it was great anyway.

Advertisement