Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating externally/Internally?

Options
  • 13-09-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

So whats it like? Where can you get a form? What are the costs involved? ...etc

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Repeating externally just involves sitting the exam or exams whenever they're scheduled. You pay around €200 for this and you cannot go to lectures, do continuous assessment work, or use the college's facilities, you can however pay around €50 extra for use of the library.

You can pick up a form from the exams office, don't wait for them to send it out to you, as this can take a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Repeating externally just involves sitting the exam or exams whenever they're scheduled. You pay around €200 for this and you cannot go to lectures, do continuous assessment work, or use the college's facilities, you can however pay around €50 extra for use of the library.

You can pick up a form from the exams office, don't wait for them to send it out to you, as this can take a long time.

Thank you! Just wondering if say, for one module theres a project for each semester. Can you do this project externally and then your lecturer mark it like everyone elses? Or is this counted as CA. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Do you still have to pay a registration fee of €1000

jessie37 wrote: »
    Do you still have to pay a registration fee of €1000

EDIT: Do internal students repeating 2 subjects have to pay the normal tuition fee(€1,819 for my course) /Student Contribution Charge of €2,000 ? If so, thats ridiculous.. Thats €4,000 + the payment of the repeated module which is around €5,000. Is this what I'm going to have to spend to repeat just 2 modules internally? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

i124Q wrote: »
    Thank you! Just wondering if say, for one module theres a project for each semester. Can you do this project externally and then your lecturer mark it like everyone elses? Or is this counted as CA. :/

I'm almost certain that you cannot do projects externally as they are counted as CA and as you are not a registered student you don't have access to course materials and services like webcourses. Your CA from the previous year would remain and be added onto whatever you get in the exam this year.
    However, even if you've failed CA, you can still pass overall if you get a high enough % in the written to bring you to an overall pass.

You do not have to pay registration fee for external repeats. As for internal repeats, the cost of this depends on how many modules you have to repeat. It costs €60 per ECTS credit. Most modules will have 5 credits, but certain modules may have more (core subjects for example). You have to pay a registration fee but it is heavily discounted to the normal one (€150 instead of €2000).

Let's say your 2 modules are 5 credits each, which would be €300 per module, plus €150 registration fee, so you'd be looking at about €750 to repeat the year internally. That said the €60 per credit fee can be slightly more depending on your course but thats the minimum that's charged (and what's charged for my course)

• Advertisement

I'm almost certain that you cannot do projects externally as they are counted as CA and as you are not a registered student you don't have access to course materials and services like webcourses. Your CA from the previous year would remain and be added onto whatever you get in the exam this year.
    However, even if you've failed CA, you can still pass overall if you get a high enough % in the written to bring you to an overall pass.

You do not have to pay registration fee for external repeats. As for internal repeats, the cost of this depends on how many modules you have to repeat. It costs €60 per ECTS credit. Most modules will have 5 credits, but certain modules may have more (core subjects for example). You have to pay a registration fee but it is heavily discounted to the normal one (€150 instead of €2000).

Let's say your 2 modules are 5 credits each, which would be €300 per module, plus €150 registration fee, so you'd be looking at about €750 to repeat the year internally. That said the €60 per credit fee can be slightly more depending on your course but thats the minimum that's charged (and what's charged for my course)

On dit website it says under External Repeat that we are 'eligible to sit any examination/submit assesments'

So that means we are allowed. Ill link ya to that source 2moro when im on a laptop and not on itouch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

EDIT: Do internal students repeating 2 subjects have to pay the normal tuition fee(€1,819 for my course) /Student Contribution Charge of €2,000 ? If so, thats ridiculous.. Thats €4,000 + the payment of the repeated module which is around €5,000. Is this what I'm going to have to spend to repeat just 2 modules internally? :/

No you paya pro-rata charge depending on the modules...roughly €350 a module including the PT capitation IIRC. Sorting this out myself tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

I got told it was only €60??

Maybe it's different for different courses??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I got told it was only €60??

Maybe it's different for different courses??

That's for the supplemental exams.

These guys/gals are talking about what happens if you fail supplementals.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Eh yeah I know it's 60 for supplemental exams, I just did some!

I got told it was €60 for an external repeat aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Yeah did this last year 60 euro to repeat the exams externally

Advertisement