Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Servers - Daily/Weekly/Monthly Safety/Running Checks

Options
  • 13-09-2011 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to build some template that will be used in checking the server's health.

Basically,a template ,can be used as an SLA,that i need run it remotely / on-site and validate all points,one by one...

As...

logical & physical disks
    disk space
    antivirus
    backup
    UPS
    CPU/RAM Performance
    Event logs
    router logs/firmware updates
    Windows updates
    server BIOS/Service packs updates
    RAID status
    AD backup
    AD replication errors
    Security logs
    Exchange IS size

and so on...

I am using a remote agent that 'takes care' of servers every 5 minutes ,but i will like to have some hard copy for end user satisfaction.

Thanks in advance for sharing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Have you look at Nagios, OSSIM or Splunk?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Monitoring windows on zero budget, I'd look at using Nagios.

Some server will have to run Nagios.
    On windows machines, install the nsclient++ service which will report back to the nagios server.
    There are built-in plugins that'll do basic checks for CPU and diskspace,
    but for your requirements, you may require nsclient to run a powershell script to carry out the more complicated acts.

From
    www.powergui.org you can download scripts which will allow you to interrogate WSUS for updates pending, newer versions of exchange, WMI, installed programs.

RAID status depends on what controller you're using.
    The Dell Perc \ LSi Megaraid status can be retrieved using
    get-wmiobject -class win32_systemdriver | where-object {$_.displayname -like "*mraid*

If you're running windows 2008, the UPS is reported as a battery and can be checked using
    Get-WmiObject -class Win32_Battery -computername
    The returned object has a status value. When this equals 2, the UPS is on AC. When 1 the battery is discharging.

I've not tried it with vmware / hyper-v.
    ---
    Edit:
    but it looks like you're asking for documentation / a layout which can be automatically generated and later audited more-so than methods of carrying out the checks, and I've misread you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 PCrepairman.ie

Nagios and or Powershell scripts would be the cheap and flexible options for this.

Joe

Advertisement