Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing roof slates... the mine field

Options
  • 13-09-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I'm looking at roof slates Cupa R5, Sierra, Gallega, Capco 98 Premier for my self build in Galway. Every supplier I talk to tells me their slates are guaranteed for x years. Though it seems some have pyrites and others roofers don't like to work with. How do you choose a decent slate for under €2.00? How do you know what your getting for your money?

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi,
    I'm looking at roof slates Cupa R5, Sierra, Gallega, Capco 98 Premier for my self build in Galway. Every supplier I talk to tells me their slates are guaranteed for x years. Though it seems some have pyrites and others roofers don't like to work with. How do you choose a decent slate for under €2.00? How do you know what your getting for your money?

Thanks

Ben
    let your architect decide:)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

BryanF wrote: »
    let your architect decide:)

Not ideal, many will only recommend one of the brands that give incentive to them to recommend, not ness. the best or best suited to your build .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

PaudyW wrote: »
    Not ideal, many will only recommend one of the brands that give incentive to them to recommend, not ness. the best or best suited to your build .
    its conspiracy time again:confused: may i ask what kind of incentives you are referring to? I once got at fake Leatherman off a certain roofing manufacturer, that lasted about a week.. is that the sort of thing you expect will incentivise an material specification:)

look my post was silly thing to post here... most architects do this for a living and could help Ben. or Ben can get advise on here... and then take the relevant certs of the materials into consideration, narrow down the product that will last, keep their colour, look appropriate, comply with planning and meet the cost requirements.
    what I'm suggesting is that he gets somebody who is trained in construction and can decipher a "decent slate" from one that is not. what the above qoute suggests is something underhanded, in a way slanderous and frankly unhelpful. well more unhelpful than my post at least...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭enol

I'm dealing direct with a supplier at the moment that my carpenter recommended, he does a natural slate (I think it's a spanish slate) for €1+vat. The range is called 'Crawford' but I'm not sure if they're exclusive to them or a generic slate they have branded themselves.
    Another supplier tried to sell me a Chinese slate but the roofer warned me off them and told me if I got them I'd have to find another roofer! I don't think it was anything to do with pyrites, he just said they were woeful to work with and sounded like a load of delf in the back of his van.
    I'll PM anyone looking for my supplier of the €1 natural slate if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Waters10

Thanks - Please send on PM details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 badger81

Waters10 wrote: »
    Thanks - Please send on PM details

me too pls

hi,do you still have that contact???

PM sent to Waters10 & Badger

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

Would you mind sending me a PM with that supplier information as well please? :)

enol wrote: »
    PM sent to Waters10 & Badger

Hi enol ...never recieved the PM details?

• Advertisement

Just PM'd Waters10 again & baby builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 olliecost

I'm dealing direct with a supplier at the moment that my carpenter recommended, he does a natural slate (I think it's a spanish slate) for €1+vat. The range is called 'Crawford' but I'm not sure if they're exclusive to them or a generic slate they have branded themselves.
    Another supplier tried to sell me a Chinese slate but the roofer warned me off them and told me if I got them I'd have to find another roofer! I don't think it was anything to do with pyrites, he just said they were woeful to work with and sounded like a load of delf in the back of his van.
    I'll PM anyone looking for my supplier of the €1 natural slate if they want.
    Can you PM me the details and supplier. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Can you also PM me the supplier please.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

Can you just name the supplier - its allowed in this section?

Just PM'd the last 3 posters. Not too keen on putting this guys name & mobile number on here as a post for the world to see without his permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just PM'd the last 3 posters. Not too keen on putting this guys name & mobile number on here as a post for the world to see without his permission.
    Right decision.

First of all mobile numbers are frowned upon. Any person in business really should have a land line number so for that very reason we would consider a mobile number to be a personal number.

If its a legit business and you have no association with it then there's no harm in posting the name here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 damissus

Hi could you pm me too please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ronanw

Hiya, only seeing this thread and probably too late. I work for a builders merchants in the North and have many slate suppliers say their slates are the best. Best advice I can give......
    1) Check your slate sample for small gold speckles, probably pyrite and may rust in future.
    2) After you get a sample and you're interested, ask the rep where there are other houses that have this slate on. If it's a decent slate he'll probably have sold it before to someone else locally. Ask for the address and go have a look. Ask how long the slates have been on.
    3) I assume you're asking a few roofers for a price. Ask them about certain slates. Roofers opinion is usually best if you are buying the slates though he will probably want you to go for a high quality slate with less grading.
    4) Above all (and I hope I'm not being sexist), get your wife/partner to pick the slate. If she doesn't like it, she will remind you for the rest of your life...........

• Registered Users Posts: 21 brickee

Can u please PM me the details too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

If your slate contains pyrites are there any guarantees you can get to get the slates replaced if pyrite shows up, say after 1 winter?

I noticed gold speckles in some of my slates there after looking closely at them. Is there a chance the gold isn't pyrite or that it wont affect my slates in time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 bigreddog

If your slate contains pyrites are there any guarantees you can get to get the slates replaced if pyrite shows up, say after 1 winter?

I noticed gold speckles in some of my slates there after looking closely at them. Is there a chance the gold isn't pyrite or that it wont affect my slates in time?

As far a I know, the "Thermal Cycling" test result as listed on the Slate's CE Cert will show the presence of any pyrites. T1 being the best.

Advertisement