Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My foot won't stay in my SPD

• 13-09-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi
    My left foot comes out of the pedal on the up stroke, any ideas? I'm using 1/2 1/2 mtb pedals, not sure the brand( same as the shimano)
    Any ideas:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

tighten it up
    there should be a small allen key on the front/back side of the pedal.
    that will tighten the spring loading and hold the shoe.

try it out. bring an allen key with you and adjust til right.

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

I was thinking there should be a way to tighten but couldn't spot anything, would it be behind the reflector?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I think that the pedals you are using are flat on one side and have the SPD on the other side,right ?
    If so,on the SPD side,one one of the "claws" there should be a little hole for an allen.It is probably 6mm so it is small.
    On the Shimano one there is also a + and - written/stamped on the pedal.Turn towards + to tighten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

little allen nut at the tow side of the cleat with a "+" & "-" symbol - towards "+" tightens the spring, and so makes it harder (and more secure) to get in and out, "-" loosens it and foot can slip out easier. Might be worth throwing a bit of muc-off or lubricant on the springs as well. Make sure ou practice - the first time you stop is not a good palce to learn you've tightened them too much!

Thanks folks, I'll have a good look at that tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Are you sure your cleats are adjusted correctly? It may be that your foot is twisting naturally to its natural position, which is causing it to disengage (remember those SPDs can disengage either by twisting your foot inwards or outwards).

I have Shimano M525 pedals (double sided) and even with the cleat tension as low as it can go, my foot never unwillingly comes out, even during harder efforts.

Are you sure your cleats are adjusted correctly? It may be that your foot is twisting naturally to its natural position, which is causing it to disengage (remember those SPDs can disengage either by twisting your foot inwards or outwards).

I have Shimano M525 pedals (double sided) and even with the cleat tension as low as it can go, my foot never unwillingly comes out, even during harder efforts.

It's not the cleats, I also have the M525 pedals on my mtb and they work fine with the same shoes. The right foot also works fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

If you have cleared out all of the grit / muck and lubed up the pedal without any improvement then you may have a physical problem with the pedal, if you use it for MTB than you may have deformed the pedal slightly through impact with rocks (very easy to do) or the spring may just be shagged!

I went through a stage last year when I was smashing pedals about every 6 weeks, until I moved to the Shimano 424 type with the cage around the SPD mechanism.

The pedals are on my road bike so mud and grit are not an issue,
    I found the "+""-" (behind the reflector:mad:) and gave it a good few clicks in the + direction,they are now hard to click into but I still pop out :confused:

Advertisement