Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAT Testing Course

Options
  • 13-09-2011 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Is there any bodies or colleges who run PAT testing courses in Ireland and what cost andtime is involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Probably not worth doing.Even in the boom not very many companies were paying money for pat testing.I worked for a few companies who were tooled and trained up to do it but never once got employed by by customer to do it.They didnt even bother with it in their own offices

As for these days with money tight,I'd say its unlikely any companies are bothered with it now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I think it is more of a UK thing than an Irish requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lostgirl03

PAT Testing is an Irish Requirement as per the General Applications 2007 Regulation 81.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I'm qualified to do it although the company paid for it.

I think I was called out to test equipment twice at most generally it's not used it was only for when the health and safety boys got on their high horse.

Is there a position you're applying for that requires this or is it for your own benefit I don't think the course was cheap anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I work in a dairy factory only reason we do pat testing is for insurance purposes engineer wants it done about twice a year pre the insurance renewal date

Did a two day course few years back cant honestly say i learnt anything.
    If it helps you get a job do it by all means handy course to pass few multiple choice questions to answer and a small visual inspection of a few appliances followed by testing them and you hopefully get the cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

if you read the rules guarding it or should i say what i took from it was
    that the only time it has to be electrically tested is after a repair
    a PAT test can consist of visual tests only
    we had many an argument over how each of us saw the rules

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

leeomurchu wrote: »
    I'm qualified to do it although the company paid for it.

I think I was called out to test equipment twice at most generally it's not used it was only for when the health and safety boys got on their high horse.

Is there a position you're applying for that requires this or is it for your own benefit I don't think the course was cheap anyway.

Is it any more than a visual inspection, an insulation test and a resistance test where appropriate?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

dolittle wrote: »
    if you read the rules guarding it or should i say what i took from it was
    that the only time it has to be electrically tested is after a repair
    Not necessarily.
    a PAT test can consist of visual tests only
    No, there is a bit more to it than that

Is it any more than a visual inspection, an insulation test and a resistance test where appropriate?

yes you're required to test the lead for the appliance. You can test a pc/kettle lead through the tester it's actually a very handy piece of equipment you do the regular tests insualtion resistance etc.It depends on what you're testing there's different tests for say class 1 or class 2 equipment.

Our policy was to test all equipment once it was moved from one site to another as most safety officrs required a pass cert on all hand held appliances, drills leads traffos etc.

Visual inspection is a part of it but that's a basic part much like common sense if it looks dodgy it probably is.

yes you're required to test the lead for the appliance. You can test a pc/kettle lead through the tester it's actually a very handy piece of equipment you do the regular tests insualtion resistance etc.It depends on what you're testing there's different tests for say class 1 or class 2 equipment.

Such as?

What's additional to the insulation/resistance test?

• Advertisement

Such as?

What's additional to the insulation/resistance test?

Any particular reason for your line of questioning?

You could Google pat testing if you're so interested no doubt there's a plethora of sites?

Curiosity. I can't assume the PAT testing course to be anything other than a money spinning exercise unless there's something that I'm unaware of; hence my line of questioning. I would be grateful if you could expand on my questions.

I've read the legislation and it's highly ambiguous in my opinion. I've researched it but you're the first person I've encountered that has done the training :)

Curiosity. I can't assume the PAT testing course to be anything other than a money spinning exercise unless there's something that I'm unaware of; hence my line of questioning. I would be grateful if you could expand on my questions.

I've read the legislation and it's highly ambiguous in my opinion. I've researched it but you're the first person I've encountered that has done the training :)

There's not really much more to expand upon once our equipment was tested it was signed off by myself or another tester and tagged safe for use. If I remember right hand held tools had to be tested every few months and stationary equipment every 6 months. Don't quote me on that though.

I'd tend to agree with you in sayin that it's a money spinning racket but on some insurances policies it's one of the terms and conditions.

I was just going along with it as it didn't cost me anything and was a handy number. Safety officers on larger sites would have a safety review at month end and all equipment would have to be visually inspected if any faults were found on the equipment tags were removed and the equipment had to be retested.

GT Cramptons safety officers used to be notorious for removing equipment from a site for not having any test tags.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

All you ever wanted to know about PAT testing:

I would suggest that you have several cups of strong coffee first :D:D

Ah thanks. I may have misunderstood your post up the way a little. It is mainly the inspection, resistance/insulation test along with documenting and tagging the device/appliance etc. Thanks for that.

@ 2011, I might leave the video for the morning so, thanks matey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    I would suggest that you have several cups of strong coffee first :D:D

I will after I test my kettle after the video

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How much would pat testing equipment cost for a start up?

I can't assume the PAT testing course to be anything other than a money spinning exercise unless there's something that I'm unaware of;

Money spinning? That is a terrible thing to suggest.
    I suppose that you are going to suggest the same about Safe Pass next....:D:D:D

Money spinning? That is a terrible thing to suggest.
    I suppose that you are going to suggest the same about Safe Pass next....:D:D:D

I wouldn't dare that safe pass is the best snooze I get :D worth every penny

Id rather a days work on the site than that course.

• Advertisement

Yeah, God forbid they include something relevant in it next time, we might all wake up with a terrible fright :D

Yeah, God forbid they include something relevant in it next time, we might all wake up with a terrible fright :D

Yes, id like a section on how to walk up your own stairs safely included in it.

While everyone else laughs or falls asleep, I will be waking up and paying attention for that part...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I did a PAT testing training course a few years ago when a company I worked for thought it was onto a winner regarding the testing.They got two contracts,the meter was expensive to buy and seemed a money spinner regarding calibration,buying of replacement stickers,software etc.

I thought the training was a waste of time as a competent electrician would've figured it out himself .

Over the years I've done a lot of routine and breakdown maintenance,open skt checks,DB board checks etc but I thought PAT was a scam.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes, id like a section on how to walk up your own stairs safely included in it..

lol, "3 points of contact" I assume!

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes, id like a section on how to walk up your own stairs safely included in it..
    While everyone else laughs or falls asleep, I will be waking up and paying attention for that part...

Robbie I will try to say this delicately:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXq3uJDx31vRLu82y4SpcVaCbgn0HsL5uemiH0YRbpSC9y5rvOAw

That ship has already sailed :D:D:D

lol, "3 points of contact" I assume!

Let's just say that Robbie and stairs don't get along :)

Oh, enough said :)

That ship has already sailed :D:D:D
    My real point was, a section on how to fry an egg safely would be as helpful as the rest of the course.

Advertisement