Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brown Thomas best personal foundation

• 13-09-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

I'm going I into BT tomorrow, I need a new full coverage foundation. I'm sick of buying one in a shop after having someone put I on me, it look fine & then putting it on at home to find it the wrong colour.

I have paleish skin & pale freckles which I would love to cover up.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I use Bobbi Brown foundations as I find they are the only ones who have foundation in a colour that's an exact match to my skin.

I use two of their foundation, the Natural Finish Long Lasting Foundation and the Luminous Moisturizing Foundation the natural finish foundation is around €40 in BTs, I don't know how much the luminious moisturizing foundation is but I would guess it is around the same price.

The luminous foundation is slightly fuller coverage than the natural finish, but both foundations can be built up to fuller coverage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ask for samples and take them home to try. That way you can see it in natural light, rather than under the bright department store artificial lighting.

Some counters don't off samples but will allow you to take your own from the display if you have a container. You can usually pick these containers up inBoots, just don't forget to mark which one is which!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

Dior are usually good with foundation samples. I use two of theirs one is light coverage the other is medium to full that lasts all day. They do have stronger coverage foundations but not sure what they're like. I'm very pale and a 10 suits me perfectly.

Mac are supposed to have a new foundation out that suits oily skin but have pale shades and shu uemura are supposed to be good for pale shades as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Hihello

Mac full coverage is the best foundation for covering EVERYTHING. Its very heavy tho. Its 33e and lasts a very long time as its a cream foundation. I only use mine for going out so might not be ideal.

I heard laura mercier silk creme foundation is meant to be great. or you cant go wrong with Chanel Prolumiere (although it is being discontined in Nov, very sad) I really think chanel foundations are great.

Maybe Nars sheer glow I've never tried it but heard it hs a decent amount of coverage.

I'd definately ask for some samples or if there is a foundation you really like get the girl to match you wear it for a few hours and go back if its what you like. Also heard there is a new Shu Amuru (dont know if I spelt that right) counter in BT Grafton St, maybe check them out

OH and also +1 for Dior, they are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

Thanks guys for all your help!
    I ended up getting ester Lauder double wear In their lightest shade.

I went to the shu emeura or however you spell it! The girl said they were only open 3 wks. She was a lovely girl but hadn't a bulls notion. She blobbed yellow all over my face. I looked like a right eejit. So I went to bobbi brown, I had used the moisture compact before. I was going to buy it until the jumped up manager came over and was so obnoxious and demeaning I refused to leave my money at her so that's when I went over to estee Lauder. The girls there are lovely & know their stuff. I also went to mac on my way in. Am I the only one who finds most of the mac staff awful? It's like the customers are getting in their way. I stood beside a cute little teenager who was probably spending a months pocket money on foundation & the girl told her that no foundation could help her 'severe acne' in the most horrible tone. The girls face went purple! I saw her when I was walking out of the shop and whatever mac did to her she looked like a kid in a dress up box.

I wonder are all brown Thomas workers trained in their job?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Well you went in there for foundation, not to be a mystery shopper. If you felt one product was right for you, you should have just got it and if you truly felt the person was being rude made a complaint.

To be fair, no foundation can help anyone with severe acne. The employee was just being honest. I dunno, sorry now I don't mean to come across as snipey/defensive but I always take people's accounts on Brown Thomas with a pinch of salt.

I think people go in their with pre conceived notions that they don't belong there/the workers are better than them (or think they are) and then of course anything an employee says or does is going to be magnified/called bitchy. That's just as bad as an employee looking down at you and in my experience has never happened.

The only power they have over me (well MAC anyway) is their 60% discounts. :P
    All I am saying is, you buy foundation to make you look and feel good not because the employees are nice. You can't take that home and if they are being nice it's because they work on commission (well it's one hell of an incentive at least). I just hope you did get what you wanted and didn't let your annoyance cloud your judgement for the best product for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

Resi12 wrote: »
    Well you went in there for foundation, not to be a mystery shopper. If you felt one product was right for you, you should have just got it and if you truly felt the person was being rude made a complaint.

To be fair, no foundation can help anyone with severe acne. The employee was just being honest. I dunno, sorry now I don't mean to come across as snipey/defensive but I always take people's accounts on Brown Thomas with a pinch of salt.

I think people go in their with pre conceived notions that they don't belong there/the workers are better than them (or think they are) and then of course anything an employee says or does is going to be magnified/called bitchy. That's just as bad as an employee looking down at you and in my experience has never happened.

The only power they have over me (well MAC anyway) is their 60% discounts. :P
    All I am saying is, you buy foundation to make you look and feel good not because the employees are nice. You can't take that home and if they are being nice it's because they work on commission (well it's one hell of an incentive at least). I just hope you did get what you wanted and didn't let your annoyance cloud your judgement for the best product for you.

I am well happy with the foundation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Glad to hear it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I disagree, sales attendants are there to help you, not for their own amusement.

Advertisement