Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For You, Grandad - v2.0

Options
  • 14-09-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

After my last failed attempt of a log, I’m back. Hopefully I’ll be here for good this time.

A little bit of information about my last log. It was the diet that let me down mostly, along with my OCD. I did try, both outside and in the kitchen. I would get my diet in order and do my runs early in the week. By about Wednesday, my mind would start searching for ways to allow me to break my diet. Eventually, I would end up binging and feeling depressed. Then I would decide that I might as well binge for the rest of the week and restart the program the next Monday. Basically, rinse and repeat for every week of the summer.

I had always told my friends that I would start my new “lifestyle” after the Junior Cert. We're getting our results later today, so tomorrow seems to be a perfect day to start again, but for real this time. I’m going to Savoy later tonight, and McDonalds after, so that seems like a good way to end my old lifestyle.

I’m sitting here, as I always do, thinking that I’ll have no problem keeping my diet in order. But I know by now, it’s extremely difficult for me. But, honestly, if I can’t manage to last for a reasonable length of time on this attempt, I don’t know what I’ll do with my life. I’ve made bets with my friends that I can last longer than them, so that will be an added bonus. I’ve also snapped Black Ops in half – I’ve wasted enough of my life on my PS3.

Anyway, on to the actual training. My fitness isn’t very good at the moment, as I have been eating excessively for the last while. Few facts about myself: I’m sixteen, around 6’1 and I weigh around 145 pounds. I don’t know what my body fat percentage is, but I’m looking to reduce it anyway. Since I don’t have any accurate way of measuring, I want to cut back until my abs are clearly visible. I will relax the diet a bit once I get to that point.

My diet will be nothing special. The main thing for me, psychologically, is that I do not eat any “junk” food. All I want is to not have any chocolate, crisps, jellies, sweets, ice-cream, fizzy drinks, etc. I will be calorie counting using Fitday.com, and I will look to maintain a calorie deficit each day.

I will start out by following the training plan ecoli originally made out for me. I would like to apologise personally to ecoli for letting him down and keeping him in the dark. I know I should have at least messaged you. I received a year’s gym membership as a present ten days ago, so most of my runs will be done on a treadmill. I know that running outside is more beneficial than running on a treadmill, but running on a treadmill is better than not running at all.

I will also be following the Convict Conditioning program. Basically a bodyweight exercise program, focusing on six different exercises: pull-ups, bridging, leg raises, push-ups, squats, and handstand push-ups. I will be following the program, but I’m not going to bother with the handstand push-ups. I need something structured like this. I will probably do the 100 push-up program before I start the push-up section of this program though.

I’ve talked for long enough at this stage. I hadn’t intended for such a long post, but fair play if you read it all.

Once again, I would like to dedicate this log to my Grandad, who past away on the 26th January 2011. My Grandad was an avid runner and was the Munster Cross-Country Champion for a number of years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Sorry to hear about your grandad, I did read the other log randomly before but didn't realise it was you.

Best of luck man.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Cheers Lee! Appreciate it.

I got 5 A's and 5 B's in my Junior Cert. Absolutely delighted! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

FYG wrote: »
    I’m sixteen, around 6’1 and I weigh around 145 pounds. I don’t know what my body fat percentage is, but I’m looking to reduce it anyway.

Youre tall and weigh 10 stone 1 lb. This is not heavy at all. Not sure why you would want to calorie count?

Cut out the junk food no problem, but be careful with cutting out food!

Congrats on your results and good luck with the training.

Youre tall and weigh 10 stone 1 lb. This is not heavy at all. Not sure why you would want to calorie count?

Cut out the junk food no problem, but be careful with cutting out food!

Congrats on your results and good luck with the training.

Thanks.

I may not be heavy and I'm in decent shape, but I could definitely do with getting rid of some body fat, especially around the stomach. Oh, and I'm 10 stone 5 pounds, not 10 stone one pound.

I'm not really going to be cutting out food, apart from junk food. I'm just calorie counting to make sure that I have a calorie deficit each day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Just FYI - You won't run well with a "calorie deficit" each day....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Eat more healthily, instead of eating less.

drquirky wrote: »
    Just FYI - You won't run well with a "calorie deficit" each day....

But I can't lose body fat without maintaining a calorie deficit.
    RayCun wrote: »
    Eat more healthily, instead of eating less.

That's generally what I'll be doing, I won't be starving myself or anything. For example, today I've consumed ~1,892 calories. Now, according to Fitday, I burn 2,826 calories a day, which leaves me with a deficit of 934 - and I've just eaten normally.

However, I doubt those figures are correct. 2,826 seems like a lot to me?

Day 1 - Thursday 15th September 2011.

I had a good night at Savoy last night. I was wrecked after it. I would actually consider it a workout! :P I was dead from all the jumping up and down, and my calves have been sore all day today. McDonalds afterwards was good too. Last time I'll be having that for awhile though.

I didn't have time to make it to the gym today. I had football training at 5:15, but I was there 15 minutes early, so I said I might as well do something. I did 10:38 at an easy pace. I didn't push myself at all as I had two training sessions ahead of me and my body was still recovering from last night. After that training, I trained with the senior 'keepers for over an hour. That was an intense enough session and it went well enough.

My diet was decent. One day without eating any ****. Delighted. I usually don't last a day, and if I do, I really struggle through it. I didn't really have any problems today. We had chocolate cake for my sister's birthday and I had to turn that down too. The aim is twenty-one days for now anyway, as that's how long it's supposed to take to form a new habit.

Might as well post my training plan for this week.

Week 1:

Monday: 10 minutes easy.
    Tuesday: Flexibility.
    Wednesday: 10 minutes easy.
    Thursday: Flexibility.
    Friday: 10 minutes easy.
    Saturday: Circuit.
    Sunday: 10 minutes easy.

As you can see, this was planned out for a full week, but I started on a Thursday. I'm still planning on finishing this by the end of the week. The runs at least. I'm planning on going to the gym after school tomorrow to do a run. Then I'll probably go Saturday and Sunday too. Could just end up going one day over the weekend and doing two runs that day.

All credit for the training plan goes to ecoli.

• Advertisement

That's generally what I'll be doing, I won't be starving myself or anything. For example, today I've consumed ~1,892 calories. Now, according to Fitday, I burn 2,826 calories a day, which leaves me with a deficit of 934 - and I've just eaten normally.

However, I doubt those figures are correct. 2,826 seems like a lot to me?

I have no idea how many calories I consume or burn every day, sorry. You might want to check in on this thread, you'll get better guidance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Michael Pollan says it best: 'Eat food, not too much, mostly plants'.

Youre 16. I wouldnt be counting calories if I were you. Eat decent quality food without stuffing your face with high GI processed rubbish (and without worrying about it) and you'll be grand. Follow ecoli's plan, gradually increasing the training stress and your body will reward you in both its shape and your fitness.

Follow ecoli's plan, gradually increasing the training stress and your body will reward you in both its shape and your fitness.

+1 on this. It's a gradual process - if you try to go too fast you'll run into problems. Try to lose too much weight, and you won't have the energy for running. Try to improve your running too quickly, and you'll get burned out or injured. Better to have three months of steady improvement than to have one super month, blow up, and spend the next two months on the couch.

+1 on this. It's a gradual process - if you try to go too fast you'll run into problems. Try to lose too much weight, and you won't have the energy for running. Try to improve your running too quickly, and you'll get burned out or injured. Better to have three months of steady improvement than to have one super month, blow up, and spend the next two months on the couch.

Yeah, I'll be following ecoli's plan for nine weeks anyway. Hopefully he will still be happy enough to continue making out a plan for me by then. Though I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.
    Michael Pollan says it best: 'Eat food, not too much, mostly plants'.

Youre 16. I wouldnt be counting calories if I were you. Eat decent quality food without stuffing your face with high GI processed rubbish (and without worrying about it) and you'll be grand. Follow ecoli's plan, gradually increasing the training stress and your body will reward you in both its shape and your fitness.

Yeah, today was not a good day. I've given up on the whole diet thing. I lasted until lunch-time today. I decided it's just not worth it. It's not like I am overweight or have confidence issues because of my body. I'm happy with my body and weight at the moment. Obviously, I would like to cut down on the body fat, but I don't want it enough to sacrifice the nicer things in life.

Yeah, today was not a good day. I've given up on the whole diet thing.

This is the problem - try to do too much and you'll end up doing nothing. Instead of calorie counting everything, feeling miserable, and giving up, try cutting out one or two of the worst things from your diet - no more soft drinks during the week, for example, make sure you have fruit in the house to snack on instead of sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

This is the problem - try to do too much and you'll end up doing nothing. Instead of calorie counting everything, feeling miserable, and giving up, try cutting out one or two of the worst things from your diet - no more soft drinks during the week, for example, make sure you have fruit in the house to snack on instead of sweets.

Good advice Ray.

If you keep a food diary for a while, it might help. You can review it and identify any patterns in your eating that you want to break. eg - having a mars bar when watching telly at night, drinking soft drinks instead of water to quench thirst, large desserts.

As Ray said, set yourself 1 goal at a time to remove or reduce one of these bad habits, which you want to make a long term lifestyle change, not a punishment or a diet.

Good luck.

Okay, I am going to be 100% honest in this log, unlike in my other log, as there is no point in not telling it as it is. In my last log, if I didn't run on a particular day, I would not say it, and I was just post the update for that day once I had managed to get the run done. This is my log and I'll be honest here.

Today and yesterday, I did nothing. They were days for thinking and reflecting. Yesterday, I failed with my diet and eat some chocolate in school... then I went on a binge. I decided that there was no point in trying to give it up when I know I'll just end up binging anyway. I felt it wasn't worth the effort for the return.

However, today, I changed my mind. I'm not going to settle for second best. I want to be the best I can possibly be. Suffer now, and live the rest of your life as a champion. I won't be calorie counting, as you're right, there is no need for that at this stage, but I will be completely cutting all the crap out of my diet. I don't know how many times I've said that, and how many times I've failed, but this time, I'll get it right and succeed. I'm not going to be focussing on losing any weight or anything, but hopefully by Christmas I will have lost some of the body fat I would like to get rid of.

Anyway, just thought I would post that to keep everyone updated on what's been going on. I'm planning on getting my three final runs done tomorrow. I've set my alarm for 8AM - aiming to be at the gym for 9AM when it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

but I will be completely cutting all the crap out of my diet. I don't know how many times I've said that, and how many times I've failed, but this time, I'll get it right and succeed.

As RayCun said earlier ... this 'completely' changing what you doi today is a very difficult way to proceed. It runs a high risk of failure as you have found out. And in response to failure there is not 'Plan B'. And to be honest if you have significent OCD it is an approach that brings out the worst reaction.

Instead, try instead to allow yourself some treats in the day, e.g as a reward for a run. Try to substitute something healthier in place of some of the [EMAIL="'cr@p'"]'cr@p'[/EMAIL].

Failure is not the problem - it is the reaction to it that counts. We all blow the diet, miss the run, etc, etc. It's just life. When it happens recognise it for what it is and start again. Also recognise the danager points and when you feel like a binge step away, e.g. take a short walk.

Look back and figure out what has worked and what has not. Rather than repeat the patterns that did not work - try something new.

Day 1 - Monday 19th September 2011.

Okay, I've finally decided that I'm not going to try and completely cut all the crap out of my diet for now. I just can't sustain it. I lasted all yesterday and until 4 today. Not bad, by my low standards. I'm not going to calorie count either. I'm just going to eat normally, and try to cut down on the crap for the most part.

I went to the gym today after school and did my first ten minute run. I did just over ten minutes @6mph. That's 10 minutes per mile. What do you guys think of that pace? Is that just right for my "easy" runs, or is it too slow? The run was easy enough, as expected. I did start to feel it for the last two minutes though - in the area at the bottom of the shin and top of the ankle. It was grand though.

Day 2 - Tuesday 20th September 2011.

As expected, I have changed my mind in relation to my diet again. Surprise, surprise. I didn't have a good day at all today, diet-wise. However, I have, once again, decided that I want to give the diet another shot. I won't be calorie counting, I'll just be completely cutting the crap out of my diet. I'm starting Thursday as I've some bets with friends on it then.

I had no runs today as part of my program - I just had some flexibility exercises. I'm going to be starting the 100 push-up program tomorrow. I will probably do some bridging as well as I've been recommended to work on strengthening my back whenever I am doing push-up work.

Just another ten minute easy run scheduled for tomorrow. Will probably go to the gym at around two, though I may head earlier to avoid the after-school crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I went to the gym today after school and did my first ten minute run. I did just over ten minutes @6mph. That's 10 minutes per mile. What do you guys think of that pace?
    It's perfect, for when you are first starting out. 6 months down the road, if you stick to the plan, you'll likely revise that downwards (faster). For right now, it's spot on.

Day 3 - Wednesday 21st September 2011.

I enjoyed my day off school today - I had a great lie-in! Had another ten minute run today @6mph. No problems once again, fairly comfortable run. The person on the treadmill next to me brought a towel to cover the treadmill display. Probably not a bad idea as it is fairly tough when you look at it and seeing it going so slowly, second by second.

Diet started at midnight! Just enjoyed a can of Coke there. My aim is to last a respectable amount of time. Four days is my record - the first time I tried it - and it's gone steadily downhill on every attempt since. I would like to see if I can last until Christmas, but I'm realistic, so anything longer than four days will be positive.

I'm planning on taking it in small periods, and try not to look at the bigger picture. I'll take it hour-by-hour when I need to. What I want and what I expect are two totally different things; however, my target is twenty-one days. Apparently how long it takes to form a new habit, so hopefully when I reach that it will get easier. :o

Oh and I did Week One: Day One of the 100 push-up program. Sets of 10/12/7/7/9 with one minutes rest in between. The last set was maximum reps, with a minimum of nine, and I just managed the nine. I can imagine this program being very, very tough for me to complete. That was hard enough and it's only the beginning.

Day 4 - Thursday 22th September 2011.

It's good to see this forum is so busy! It's only been around 24 hours since I last updated my log, and it was on the third page of the forum! Only had flexibility today and didn't do any other exercises, so here's yet another entry that will be dominated by diet!

Today was supposed to be my first day without eating crap. I didn't eat any crap anyway, so I suppose that's good. Although I did decide that if I want a sustainable diet, I would need something to keep me going, so I decided to allow myself to drink Coke.

However, tonight, I once again changed my mind. I want to lose the weight and extra body fat. And I want to do it before Christmas. So my aim is to cut out the crap and lose weight for exactly three months. Starting tomorrow, the 23rd, until we get our school holidays on the 23rd of December. I will probably allow myself one can of Coke a week on a Sunday evening, but I'll see how I'm going.

You're all probably thinking I'm retarded and that I'll only last a couple of days max, but I'll do well this time. Why? Because I really want it, and if I really want it, I can do it.

I have a ten minute easy run tomorrow that I'll get done after school. Oh, and I'm 147 pounds and 5 foot 11 and a half, not what I originally said I was. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Day 4 - Thursday 22th September 2011.

and I'm 147 pounds and 5 foot 11 and a half, not what I originally said I was. :o

Lad you dont need to loose weight.

You're all probably thinking I'm retarded and that I'll only last a couple of days max, but I'll do well this time. Why? Because I really want it, and if I really want it, I can do it.

Kid, you need to learn how to learn from your mistakes. Did all your previous diets and exercise plans fail because you didn't really want them, but now you do?
    No. You failed because you looked for quick fixes and big plans and relied on willpower instead of forming good habits. And if you keep trying that, you will keep failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Have to agree with the last 2 posts. I'm no expert on diet or anything but I have greatly improved my diet in the last year. I found small steps are the most effective, replacing soft drinks with water/juices, then junk food with fruits/veg, trying to stay away from deep fried food. Next target is chocolate (chocoholic :D). When you do "slip up" its not the end of the world, a little bit of rubbish will do you no harm, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Keep up with ecolis plan and you wont be long toning up as your not carring any excess weight. Just my 2 cents, good luck

Day 5 - Friday 23rd September 2011.

I did ten minutes easy @6mph again today. No problems again. Very comfortable run. No pains in my lower leg this time. I have one more ten minute run scheduled for Sunday, but I will probably do it tomorrow as I probably won't manage to get to the gym on Sunday as I have a match.

I think I'm still feeling the effects of those push-ups! The area between my chest and shoulders hurts whenever I stretch my arms. Well it doesn't really hurt, but I can feel it, if you know what I mean.

Diet was good. Didn't eat any crap. One day down, ninety to go.

Day 6 - Saturday 24th September 2011.

Didn't manage to get the final run of the week done today. I did some circuit work instead. I'll get my last run done tomorrow after my match. Next week is a step up with twenty minute runs and six runs instead of four. Looking forward to it.

Diet was good today. 2 days down, 89 to go.

Day 7 - Sunday 25th September 2011.

My match was cancelled today, so I had no problem getting my final run of the week done. Once again, I did 10:00 at 6mph. No problems, very comfortable run. Step up now next week with 20 minute runs. Should be fine. Looking forward to it.

Diet was grand again. 3 days down, 88 to go.

• Advertisement

Training Plan - Week 2.

Monday: 20 minutes easy.
    Tuesday: 10 minutes easy + Flexibility.
    Wednesday: 20 minutes easy.
    Thursday: 10 minutes easy + Flexibility.
    Friday: 10 minutes easy.
    Saturday: Circuit.
    Sunday: 20 minutes easy.

I definitely won't get a chance to do my runs on Tuesday or Thursday. Friday is doubtful too, so I'll have to work something out. I may end up doubling-up some of the ten minute runs and do the two of them in the one go.

Advertisement