Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nephew hates school

Options
  • 14-09-2011 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Im really worried about my nephew, since he has started senior infants he doesnt like school at all. He told me no one will play with him and he wanders around alone then sits down and waits for play time to be over. He is a bit younger than most the people in his class but he still isnt the youngest. My heart is breaking for him thinking no one plays with him? His best friend from junior infants was kept back so they dont really see each other. What can i do to help as his parents tried speaking to the teacher. Im asking on their behalf really

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

What did the teacher say? I ask because saying 'no-one will play with me' is a really common thing kids say and it may not be true at all. So first off, establish this is really the case.

If it is then his parents can foster friendships by inviting other children for playdates ( one on one is usually best), getting him involved in local activities and so on. It sounds simplistic but the simple ideas are the ones that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the teacher said she would try get the junior infants teacher talk to his friend and have them meet up at the door for playtime but in fairness he should be able to make friends in his own class.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Agree with Wanttobe. Children often say no-one plays with me,usually what they mean is that for some portion of break they were doing their own thing-or even sometimes they use it to seek attention.And sometimes, children just prefer to be alone!
    Boys as a very broad generalisiation can be slower to mature and can stuggle somewhat socially if they are younger starting school.

Have his parents spoken with the teacher since?If she can keep an eye on the yard for a bit she will be able to put parents' minds at rest or if he really is alone all the time put some kind of intervention in place.

Advertisement