Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Proof Garden

Options
  • 14-09-2011 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone in the area has done this? And if so did you hire someone? I have found a kit I can order but it is pricey and wondering if anyone in the area had any cheaper solutions.

I'm in Charlesland by the way.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

To keep your cats in or keep other cats out?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

To keep my cats in. I have lost one this year and my other cat got hit by a car two months ago and ended up in the vets for days and getting his tail amputated. You might have seen him wandering around Mike, he looks a bit strange :-D

We have two new kittens now who have never been outside. We don't want them as indoor only as not opening the back door isn't an option. So even though our older cat might complain about being restricted to the garden it would make me much less worried about him.

Has anyone done this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

As a temp fix you could get some of that green netting that people use to protect fish ponds, string it between the fences. Maybe check with neighbours first as it won't look pretty.

Best advise I can give you is to coat all the kittens paws with some soft butter and then let them out, they will find their way home much easier should they decide to go wandering, either way they should not stray too far. Also neutering them as soon as you can will help keep them close to home.

They are all neutered, vaccinated etc. I am not so much worried about straying, its being killed on the road, I have lost one cat that way and the other seriously injured.

Netting is an option and I have found some good solutions online, however I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar in greystones. I'm not great at DIY so I expect we'll need someone to install it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I've only seen him once recently and had meant to ask. Hopefully he'll make a full recovery.

A lot of fence toppings are pricey, but worth it if it saves any more stress!

• Advertisement

He is fine thankfully, grumpy as ever! :-)

Think I'll just have to order the kit from the UK site, cat proofing doesn't seem as common in Ireland.

Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement