Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Installation Wexford

Options
  • 14-09-2011 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend someone for sky/satellite installation in Wexford town? Justv moved here and the fuzzy tv is driving me nuts already.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Try

Joyces of Wexford
    3 North Main Street, Wexford, Wexford, Co. Wexford
    Telephone: 0539170919

or

Joyces Expert
    Clonard Retail Park, Killeens, Wexford, Co. Wexford
    Telephone: 0539170500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Better still book it through this site and get cash back also

http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/sky-ireland/

it takes up to a week but why pay through the nose when you can get it all free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

B-Direct Communications

just outside New Ross.

Link to their facebook page with contact details

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ledger wrote: »
    B-Direct Communications

just outside New Ross.

Link to their facebook page with contact details

They may brush up on their spelling,not very professional looking if they can't spell digital satellite properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

To be perfectly honest. I would give Sky a call yourself. Mainly because you could actually get a good deal if you 'hmmmm and awww' abit when signing up. And chances are they will use a local installer in the first place. I had an awful experience when signing up to the stall in Tesco and I would much rather deal with Sky directly now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

zerks wrote: »
    They may brush up on their spelling,not very professional looking if they can't spell digital satellite properly.

yeah just noticed that myself, i can tell you thats not a reflection on their quality though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Dougal.

I only found out a couple of weeks ago that there is no such thing as a Saorview sales agent or Saorview approved installer. Saorview can only be sold through registered retailers. But there are guys and sales crowds going around misinforming people about this Saorview. There is even a Guy driving around Gorey with Saorview signs on his Van.

Any one who is confused about saorview and the switchover have a look here http://www.saorview.ie/news/avoid-scams-door-to-door-seller-warning/
    there are links to registered retailers and recognised installers in each county
    if some people feel that they are been misinformed or are been approached by any of these so called sales reps selling something that seems cheap or to good to be true they should contact
    either
    http://www.saorview.ie/
    or
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Contact_Us/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Any satellite/cable installer can put in saorview for you, its no big deal. Its just a box. Most new televisions will have it built in anyway.

I wouldn't be too worried about having a registered installer, it will probably only cost you more money for a process that is very simple.

1. Plug aerial into box
    2. Plug box into telly
    3. Tune box

I am getting saorview at home with a rabbit ear antenna from the euro shop.

• Advertisement

TheChevron;Any satellite/cable installer can put in saorview for you, its no big deal.

Technically any 1 who is competent can but legally only registered retailers/installers can sell IDTV.s and saorview approved STB.s
    Its just a box. Most new televisions will have it built in anyway.

The majority of older people living in the countryside wont have a new mpeg 4 TV.
    I wouldn't be too worried about having a registered installer, it will probably only cost you more money for a process that is very simple.

There is a lot to be said for having a long term Aerial rigger call to your house and to Fit wideband Aerial with a lashing kit and pole to your chimney run a coaxial cable to your TV and explain to you how to work it. That Rigger will have the Right Ladders, Tools and Equipment to carry out that Job he will also be Able to provide the customer with a reference of PL insurance and a Receipt.

Or a customer can and get any handy man to hang an Aerial over their front window.

1. Plug aerial into box
    2. Plug box into telly
    3. Tune box

Before all That

0. Put ladders up at Facia run roof ladder up to Chimney and secure both ladders. Fit wideband Aerial with a lashing kit and pole to your chimney Align Aerial to Max Signal over 60db in some places the signal would need to be Amplified and run coaxial cable to TV or STB.
    I am getting saorview at home with a rabbit ear antenna from the euro shop.

Any one living up where you are will get reception on even a coat hanger for the moment but when Oct 2012 comes then people will need proper wideband Aerials installed.

The Thread started with the Op looking for a recommendation he was giving a few recommendations. The FB page that was linked by another poster is Breaking the Law. They are not Approved by RTE to sell Saorview.

scaller wrote: »
    Technically any 1 who is competent can but legally only registered retailers/installers can sell IDTV.s and saorview approved STB.s

The majority of older people living in the countryside wont have a new mpeg 4 TV.

There is a lot to be said for having a long term Aerial rigger call to your house and to Fit wideband Aerial with a lashing kit and pole to your chimney run a coaxial cable to your TV and explain to you how to work it. That Rigger will have the Right Ladders, Tools and Equipment to carry out that Job he will also be Able to provide the customer with a reference of PL insurance and a Receipt.

Or a customer can and get any handy man to hang an Aerial over their front window.

Before all That

0. Put ladders up at Facia run roof ladder up to Chimney and secure both ladders. Fit wideband Aerial with a lashing kit and pole to your chimney Align Aerial to Max Signal over 60db in some places the signal would need to be Amplified and run coaxial cable to TV or STB.

Any one living up where you are will get reception on even a coat hanger for the moment but when Oct 2012 comes then people will need proper wideband Aerials installed.

The Thread started with the Op looking for a recommendation he was giving a few recommendations. The FB page that was linked by another poster is Breaking the Law. They are not Approved by RTE to sell Saorview.
    :D

Are you an official Saorview installer? You seem to be very passionate in the defence of the "Official Installers".

Heres a box for under 100 euro that has saorview and FTA Satellite in one with a pvr. Sorry I correct myself, it does not have official saorview, but it has the ability to pick up the irish digital stations with full epg etc...ie saorview.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056284276

Scaller, are you saying that because this box is not endorsed by Saorview, that people should not buy it?

OP if your not wanting to pay Sky or official Saorview installers extortionate prices, have a look at one of those boxes. You get all the free satellite channels and all the rte channels, and you can record on it. I know a guy who can stick up and aerial and dish if you need it at a reasonable price.

That box indeed is a good combo box I installed a 200 version yesterday out in the Milehouse for Irish DTT TV and English/German satellite TV. The only down fall is that it will not be able to provide MHEG5 or digital TXT after Oct 2012 and it will need to be retuned every couple of months when satellite channels start to change their TP's. The customer also knew before he bought the box that it was not a saorview box.

If people want to get some handy man to stick up a cheap Aerial then that's there choice. But do make sure that this handy man has public liability insurance. As the saying goes You only get what you pay for.

There is no such thing as Saorview agents official or approved Installers. I do work for a Few Saorview registered retailers. But that's not the point here. The main point here is that a guy linked a face book page that claim to be Saorview approved agents when there is no such thing.

That box indeed is a good combo box I installed a 200 version yesterday out in the Milehouse for Irish DTT TV and English/German satellite TV. The only down fall is that it will not be able to provide MHEG5 or digital TXT after Oct 2012 and it will need to be retuned every couple of months when satellite channels start to change their TP's. The customer also knew before he bought the box that it was not a saorview box.

If people want to get some handy man to stick up a cheap Aerial then that's there choice. But do make sure that this handy man has public liability insurance. As the saying goes You only get what you pay for.

There is no such thing as Saorview agents official or approved Installers. I do work for a Few Saorview registered retailers. But that's not the point here. The main point here is that a guy linked a face book page that claim to be Saorview approved agents when there is no such thing.
    Does the box not have a blind scan function? surely then there would be no need for it to be returned.

Its interesting what you say about the MHEG5. What will be the main significance of this? Are you sure the digital text function will not work?

Does that mean my telly will lose text as well as it is not saorview approved?

TheChevron wrote: »
    Does the box not have a blind scan function? surely then there would be no need for it to be returned.

Its interesting what you say about the MHEG5. What will be the main significance of this? Are you sure the digital text function will not work?

The box does have a blind scan but when a channel changes frequency the box wont automatic retune the channel back in. it will happened today with BBC news http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056397663 The only boxes that auto update and retune are branded SKY and Freesat boxes. Generic FTA boxes like the Ariva 120 and 200 and all other makes wont auto update.

Mheg5 is like the interactive on Sky and Freesat it covers the digital TXT and interactive services.

The TXT your are receiving now on this box for RTE is analogue TXT
    as you will see you wont get BBC txt or Ceefax on this box. Unfortunately you will lose Txt next year if your TV is not an MPEG4 TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheChevron wrote: »

Not returned-retuned as Scaller stated,many people haven't a clue about doing this and a 'handyman' installing generic fta boxes generally don't either and this ends up with people getting aggravated over losing channels.
    MHEG5 is essential for reception of digital text,my tv has it as it's a new model but I had to install an attic aerial to get Saorview even though I live within view of Mt Leinster.

The moral of Scaller's tales on the subject is that you get what you pay for-a bargain sometimes is too good to be true,imagine a handyman with limited knowledge and little else except a drill and a ladder falls off your roof or drops something on a passer bye or your car? Hardly a bargain install then..

I've met people who paid a local guy they knew who was "handy" to install satellite systems and it ended in tears with no comeback and I'm afraid there's gangsters rubbing their hands at the prospect of a fast buck ripping off people when Saorview is essential next year.

Fair enough for people who know about it and what they're doing and are capable of a diy job with an aerial, but the vast amount of those receiving only RTE are older and vunerable and this is why RTE are insisting on certification for Saorview sellers and installers.

Originally Posted by Irish Independent

HOUSEHOLDERS have been warned about door-to-door sales people claiming to represent the new free-to-air digital TV service Saorview and charging €350 to install new equipment.

Around 340,000 householders currently receiving their TV signal through aerials will have to install new technology to access the digital service from 2012. But those who have to make the switch can buy the necessary equipment for as little as €59.

Now householders have been reporting sales people claiming to be from Saorview offering to carry out the work for €350.

A salesman calling to homes in north Co Dublin claimed to be from Saorview and offered to upgrade one home's TV service to accept the new digital service from RTE by installing a satellite dish, new set-top box and new wiring.

A price of €349 was quoted. However, the house in question already had a satellite dish and did not need new equipment to receive Saorview.

A spokeswoman for Saorview said neither it, nor RTE, had commissioned or endorsed any door-to-door sales activities.

The state broadcaster is switching off the analogue signal at the end of next year.

Cable and satellite customers won't be affected, but there are still swathes of the country where viewers are reliant on the analogue signal -- especially in rural areas.

Customers will need either a digital set-top box hooked up to their existing TV, or else a modern TV with a built-in digital receiver.

They will face costs of between €60 and €200, the spokeswoman for RTE said.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bogus-digital-tv-sellers-hit-householders-for-up-to-euro350-2889147.html

Radio link here http://2fm.rte.ie/show/92 click on listen back and fast forward to 50 mins and then 120 mins . The sales crowd made a mistake and called to an installers door to sell saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rayfer

Have done work for BDirect Comm in New Ross(selling SKY and QSAT) and now they won't pay me for sales done. Anyone else out there caught by these scammers?

rayfer wrote: »
    Have done work for BDirect Comm in New Ross(selling SKY and QSAT) and now they won't pay me for sales done. Anyone else out there caught by these scammers?

Were you asked to sell Saorview door to door.

These Guys who call door to door selling Sky and Broadband don't work for RTE/Saorview and they are not registered to sell Saorview so people if some so called sales person calls to your door trying to sell Saorview then tell them to get lost or you will phone the guards.

It is happening in other counties. And the guards warning the public.
    http://www.kerryman.ie/news/conmen-p...s-2963962.html

CONMEN are calling to people's homes in north Kerry on the pretence of installing the new Saorview aerials, gardaí have warned.

A number of people in the north Kerry area have been approached by men claiming that they are there to install the new digital RTÉ aerials on their homes, despite the occupants never having requested assistance from any company.

Gardaí in Listowel are now warning the public to demand identification from any person claiming to be from a TV company or otherwise. This warning comes as gardaí appeal for safety in all areas in the run-up to the festive period.

"Legitimate companies will never simply call into a person's home without a request for help," Sergeant Declan Horan said. "So we would ask people to be vigilant at all times, request identification and write down a description of the person immediately. Better again, don't be afraid to take the license number of any car. Gardaí ask that people remain vigilant for any suspicious vehicles in their area in general over the period."

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/conmen-p...s-2963962.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

actually yes. what excuse did they give you? iv been too busy lately but i'll be back on to them when i get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 rayfer

B Direct have a scam on at the moment. They get you to sell SKY and Saor View on their behalf but then won't pay sales reps when work is done. Anyone else come accross this problem?

B Direct have a scam on at the moment. They get you to sell SKY and SaorView on their behalf but then won't pay sales reps when work is done. Anyone else come accross this problem?

BDirect or its sales reps cant sell Saorview door to door its against the law. Bdirect is not a registered retailer or a retail shop its a ASA Sky sales team.

Rayfer and Brian plank. You Guys were selling Saorview door to door which is Illegal.
    http://www.saorview.ie/news/avoid-scams-door-to-door-seller-warning/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Rayfer and Brian plank. You Guys were selling Saorview door to door which is Illegal.
    http://www.saorview.ie/news/avoid-scams-door-to-door-seller-warning/

no just sky. im not sure what they do with saorview.

no just sky. im not sure what they do with saorview.

Brian. Bdirect are blatantly advertising that they are selling Saorview Door to Door which is totally illegal as they are not retailers. From what we were told by newross aerial riggers is that Bdirect work out of a portacabin in a farm yard so it kind of says what sort of crowd you mixed up with. I hope you get your money from them/him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭scatter

They installed sky+ box for us ,sent wrong view card ,wrong subscription,no phone calls returned as of yet.(approx.22 calls by the way)

scatter wrote: »
    They installed sky+ box for us ,sent wrong view card ,wrong subscription,no phone calls returned as of yet.(approx.22 calls by the way)

It seems this Bdirect are only a new contract sales reps probably working on commision for a bigger company. What you should do is phone Sky 0818719819 give them your details {account Number} and ask them to tell you who is the ASA holder that you are signed to get their phone number from sky. Then phone them and complain about the mess this crowd left you in. They will have to rectify this for you.

what does ASA mean??????/

By the way i have rang Bdirect 33 times today with the 3 numbers i have for them.

scatter wrote: »
    By the way i have rang Bdirect 33 times today with the 3 numbers i have for them.

Bdirect are only a sales team Bypass them and go straight to the company that pays them.

ASA is short for Associated Sales Agent. All shops or sales companies that sell Sky have a ASA number.

How long has this mess being going on. Make sure you are not paying for your Non viewing.

• Advertisement

CSMI are the asa but cant find any contact for them

Advertisement