Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"grow old along of me.."

• 14-09-2011 9:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Our rescued and formerly much abused collie is into double figures now.. She was not "planned" just arrived in our lives in such a way that we took her in.

So many problems we have had with her. It took two years before she would go through a door normally as she had been shut in a dark shed 16/ 24 for years. Thunder phobic to an untreatable degree, and so utterly devoted to me especially that she vanished during one storm seeking me and was gone 11 days.

Each crisis sees her more and more devoted. A couple of weeks ago, there was gunfire nearby foir several hours and I sat in the stairs with her until we got that sorted.

Seeing her run free in our landlord's fields is a constant joy,

And she dances and sings when food is due. Happy collie at peace with her life...

She is ageing now, her black muzzle snowed with grey and we limit her running some now. She has had episodes of arthritis.

And from time to time now, puddles. Always when the door is open and she clearly heads out but does not quite get there. ALMOST at times...

The floor is old lino so that is fine too.

And as I age also, that feeling is one I empathise with totally.

So we grow old together, this beautiful dog and I together. We commiserate with our aches and pains and the problems of ageing. And the beauty of her when she comes and lays her head and paw on my lap, seeking simply the assurance that she is loved, and than edances away all "twittipated"

But OH! How I wish she would stop chasing the cats!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Graces7

you've done something so beautiful ... and so well written. cant stop reading it. made my day. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Enjoy the time you have with your dog Grace for like all things in life, it won't last forever. My last Collie was with me for 15 years (which at that point was half my life) and as I grew from a boy into a man, he aged much quicker from a pup, to a healthy dog to one that walked slower, didn't run anymore and finally got sick and died. Owning a dog is a mirror to our own mortality and its like watching our own life cycle speeded up. Losing that dog hurt more than losing some people I've known but thats the way of things and there's no point fighting it or dreading it.

We now have a new collie, an 8 month old that we recently got from a Dog Sanctuary that my kids have really taken to, and him to them. However, he will grow and age much faster than them and so in 10 or 12 years, he and I can sit and discuss our aches and pains while my kids are still young fit and healthy.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks to both the replies.

And yes, I will treasure the time now.

For me, the hard part has been that I am not/was not a "dog person"; cats are my love and I used to breed Siamese, before I decided that there were enoough cats and started taking in rescues - and the first of those arrived much as the collie did!-

A relative here with me "had " to have a dog and so that was when wee dog arrived, and when the relative had to move abroad, it was either rehome or cope,,,,

Just learned to cope when I moved house and there was this lovely collie, chained to a 56 lb weight 24/7,, by our house and by our landlord. Unwanted.

At times she has been the most maddening creature on this earth, but gradually I have learned her needs. Watching her demolish half the raw turkey carcase at Christmas was the deepest of joys. She had been half starved for years.

She is an "Irish suicide dog" addicted to passing traffic, but she cannoit get on to the road here so when she races off, I call,"Bye bye" and head for home, and as as she realises I am no longer there..

And that glorious collie grin; she has one ear up and one down.

And she is safe here, loved and totally safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

I'm almost in tears, beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Have you any pics Graces7??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

minxie wrote: »
    Have you any pics Graces7??

Hoping this comes over.....

sandy%2Bface.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Beautiful girl and beautiful sentiments. This has to be some of the best posting I've ever read on Boards. I'm watching my doggie sleeping on the arm of the couch and so glad he's in my life. Grace, tis no wonder your girl is happy you've given her an amazing life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

beautiful dog, beautiful owner ... highlight of my day now: heading home to my 2 angels, cant wait to see them running around the table and cry for joy when I get back !!

Advertisement