Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaking of things that bite,,,eg spiders, wasps

• 14-09-2011 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Having shuddered at the soider thread while killing a few huge ones that are trying to take up residence here,,

Yesterday, early afternoon, I got stung by a wasp, inside my knee, while out with the dogs picking blackberries. Most ungrateful as I have been feeding the dying ones for weeks now,

The sting was still in; thought at first it was a bramble but the pain was so intense. Realised then that something was crawling up inside my thigh and threw out a furry body.. yukk..

Have been up all night with the pain. Tried bleach and other things that are supposed to work, and I had removed the sting of course.

Really intense, sickening pain.

Took anti histamine and painkillers.

The only thing that helped was ice; thankfully plenty of bags of frozen blackberries in the freezer...but am still in some pain; only been stung once before years ago and that was on the head when a wasp had gone to sleep in a hood. And it did not last or affect like this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Bleach?! Ouch! Bleach is a base, and so is a wasp sting so this would make it worse.

If it was a wasp, then you should try to neutralise the reaction by using acid (vinegar/lemon juice).

Ice is the right treatment for the swelling.

But you're probably feeling a lot better now - they do hurt like a b***h, but it reduces over time. I know for me, I can feel it for 3-5 days, and the first day is pretty nasty (even with vinegar!) but I think it just depends on your sensitivity.

We have an aspivenin thingamabob for bites and stings, it basically sucks out the venom if you can get to it fairly quickly. http://www.aspivenin.com/english/main.html

I hope you feel better soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Kash wrote: »
    Bleach?! Ouch! Bleach is a base, and so is a wasp sting so this would make it worse.

If it was a wasp, then you should try to neutralise the reaction by using acid (vinegar/lemon juice).

Ice is the right treatment for the swelling.

But you're probably feeling a lot better now - they do hurt like a b***h, but it reduces over time. I know for me, I can feel it for 3-5 days, and the first day is pretty nasty (even with vinegar!) but I think it just depends on your sensitivity.

We have an aspivenin thingamabob for bites and stings, it basically sucks out the venom if you can get to it fairly quickly. http://www.aspivenin.com/english/main.html

I hope you feel better soon :)

Thank yoiu; this is fascinating,, I was always taught " vinegar for vasps and boracic for bees" but the bleach idea came in from family. I had already tried the vinegar,.. I got stung a few years ago, on the head, bit it was nothing like this; we wonder if the critter hit a nerve.

I am not well and very tired so maybe this has exacerbated it; better than lasy night anyways!

One of our cats once swallowed a wasp and got stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Old wifes tail that works.

Cut an onion in half and hold it to the skin.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

That sounds nasty OP, hope you are feeling better. Are you sure it was a wasp though? It sounds like a bee as the sting was left in the skin.

Maglight wrote: »
    That sounds nasty OP, hope you are feeling better. Are you sure it was a wasp though? It sounds like a bee as the sting was left in the skin.

Apparently wasps do finally lose their sting like this and then they die, and I was so horrified when I realised the critter was stilll there, and crawling up my inner thigh I just grabbed it and threw it, but it was long, and there are so many wasps around and very few bees. I felt so sorry for them and was leaving sweet stuff iin jars well away from the house.

My fault for having bare legs; will cover up from now on.

• Advertisement

Interesting.. I took the dogs under the electric fence into the fields as usual. When we came back through - the place I was stung - there were so many.. flies ? Wasps!

It seems there is a nest in a tree stump there.

I escaped this time. Will ask on the nature forum re this.

Advertisement