Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crow control

• 14-09-2011 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

May I say now that we are totally on your side re crows, knowing how much damage they can do

OK: that is clear!

A couple of weeks ago, mid afternoon on a clear day, there started gunfire very near the house. We are in a very rural area surrounded by fields, mostly grazing/hay/sileage.

It was very close, and clearly there were several guns involved.

We have an old collie who is thunder/gun phobic; we have thankfully sorted a local crowbanger addict.

I very quietly gave the dog what medication I have for her, closed all windows and doors etc.

That was effective for the first hour, but the gunfire got closer and collie went bad fast.

After 2 hours, I called our landlord, who farms locally. He told me that it was them shooting crows in a barley field and advised me to call the guards - his remedy for all things!

By now collie was on the verge of a heart attack.

When I called the guards, they could hear the dog screaming.

They said that if the shooters had paperwork that was legal, there was nothing they could do, but they would come out and check. I said that by now this was three hours and that no word had been given to us of an intended cull so that we could make provision etc.

Then I sat on the stairs with a demented collie on my lap.

When it stopped, she knew before I did! She shook herself, went off to eat and drink and then the medication finally poleaxed her.

Landlord later told me he too had been to visit the shooters and that they had planned to visit to apologise. They never did but that is fine.

Just needed it stopped.

We seek to be good neighbours here and we know at this time oif year how hard farmers work and the noise levels etc are dealt with ear plugs

But is there no system here of advising re this kind of event so that eg be cared for? We all in the UK re Bonfire Night in advance.

And is shooting the best way to deal with crows?

NB please do not suggest I should have gone roiund; gunfire terrifies me too!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

IMO, gunfire is one of the things that you have to learn to live with if you want to enjoy country living - along with the smell of slurry being spread quite near your front door and the sound of cows and calves roaring at weining time and the smell of silage in winter time.

While there is nothing illegal about shooting, people shouldbe curteous about it and try to shoot as far from dwellings as possible to reduce the exposure to noise. Perhaps the shooters didn't realise you were there or that the gun fire would affect you so much?

In years past, many farmers used to poison crows. However, this had a big impact on the environment. Dead crows were often eaten by other wildlife which passed on the poison. Worst cases saw domesticated dogs out for a run through the fields and eat some of the poison or eat one of the poisoned crows and die themselves - which would be a far worse threat for your collie.

There are crow cages available to buy to control crows. But these would be very ineffective for the amount of crows that would be haunting a barley field.

There is no radical solution for you but to talk to the people who were shootng and ask them to inform you when they intend to shoot again if they could inform you so that you could at least bring your dog out for a walk to a quiet place where the shooting would not impact on him.

Graces7 wrote: »
    May I say now that we are totally on your side re crows, knowing how much damage they can do

A couple of weeks ago, mid afternoon on a clear day, there started gunfire very near the house. We are in a very rural area surrounded by fields, mostly grazing/hay/sileage.

We have an old collie who is thunder/gun phobic; we have thankfully sorted a local crowbanger addict.

I very quietly gave the dog what medication I have for her, closed all windows and doors etc.

That was effective for the first hour, but the gunfire got closer and collie went bad fast.

After 2 hours, I called our landlord, who farms locally. He told me that it was them shooting crows in a barley field and advised me to call the guards - his remedy for all things!

They said that if the shooters had paperwork that was legal, there was nothing they could do, but they would come out and check. I said that by now this was three hours and that no word had been given to us of an intended cull so that we could make provision etc.

When it stopped, she knew before I did! She shook herself, went off to eat and drink and then the medication finally poleaxed her.

Landlord later told me he too had been to visit the shooters and that they had planned to visit to apologise. They never did but that is fine.

Just needed it stopped.

We seek to be good neighbours here and we know at this time oif year how hard farmers work and the noise levels etc are dealt with ear plugs

But is there no system here of advising re this kind of event so that eg be cared for? We all in the UK re Bonfire Night in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Graces7 wrote: »

Just needed it stopped.

I notice you say, the collie is old. Shure give him another year or so, and he will be deaf and blind. Problem sorted;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Thank your government for this one, but you can no longer use traps on rooks and jackdaws so shooting with rifle and shotgun is now the only way to control them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Why the hell do people keep using "shure" as a word? Shore or sure, take your pick.

Shooting is the best method to control crows, poisoning them is indiscriminate and illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Why the hell do people keep using "shure" as a word? Shore or sure, take your pick.

Shooting is the best method to control crows, poisoning them is indiscriminate and illegal.

Siure it doesn't matter that much does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ladder traps are even better. They work all day every day and any non target species can easily be released, unharmed, when the trap is checked daily. There is food and water in the trap too.

Can't use them for rooks or jackdaws though so if they do sneak in then they must be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Oscar the grouch

LostCovey wrote: »

Siure it doesn't matter that much does it?

I agree shooting seems to be the best form of control

But there is no need for smart ass comments from some people(dazed+confused)I'm looking at you op is only asking for advice not not snide remarks from someone as anal retentive as yourself,shore it not like any body is going to die from punctuation errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Graces,

I'm not altogether sure of your motive for posting these types threads in this forum. You've a problem with crow bangers. You've a problem with muck spreading. Now, you've a problem with shooting.

Perhaps you should reconsider the types of areas in which you chose to live, they do not altogether seem to be in harmony with how you wish to live your life.

Thread closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sad is this... response to the crow thread,,, By all means serve an infraction, but never say we did not try to approach and learn
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    Worse than we expected, frankly. And which reflects on many aspects of life,

A total lack of tolerance and neighbourliness .

So no one can ask re issues around them? No one can say that anything is wrong?

NB crowbangers are illegal,

Not all who choose to live in rural areas are farmers; all residents have rights and needs of consideration and courtesy,

We pay rent; we also get services improved eg rural transport for the elderly. And we use rural facilities that may otherwise be withdrawn.
    Ive in these areas for many reasons, medical and otherwise, andyes I would expect some consideration and courtesy friom neighbours and to be able to ask re what is going on and learn,

It is not up to you where I live; such a personal accusation reflects si badly on you.

This kind of response is blinkered and ignorant, frankly. Closed minds.

And we wonder why Ireland is in the toilet! He who is rudest and shouts loudest and shakes the petty power of a mod's stick so that noone can speak with friendship and understanding.

And you wonder why Ireland is in the toilet!

Thankfully many of our farming neighboiurs are considerate and we get on well with those we meet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Graces7 - Neighbourliness goes both ways- particularly in the countryside, its normal for folk to get to know their neighbours and take part in life in the area, keeping in mind the traditions of the area.

Not all people who live in rural areas are farmers, no. However most rural areas are farming communities- and are tolerant of what are considered to be normal farming practices.

You are stating that crowbangers are illegal? Please point out where this is legislated against. The last proposals were that all deployed crowbangers were to have photocells attached to them, and their use limited to hours of daylight. There was no proposal to outlaw them- other than in urban areas, where the EPA was to monitor their use and take action against any offendors who were deemed to be creating a noise nuisance. This action by the EPA was to be limited to urban areas, and the IFA undertook to liaise with its members in this respect.

Not all people who live in rural areas are farmers- and indeed, as you assert, everyone is entitled to reasonable consideration and courtesy. You do have to accept however, if you're moving into a farming community- that there is a way of life that you are subscribing to- you cannot expect to impose a whole new set of standards on people who have lived in a particular way for a protracted period of time. By trying to impose your standards on other people- by reporting them to the Gardai, the EPA, the local council etc- you are going to create a rather incredible negative attitude towards yourself, and any potential goodwill that many people might have towards you- will evaporate before your eyes.

Paying your rent etc- are normal everyday activities- a cash payment for the provision of a service. They do not entitle you to dictate to the neighbours that they change their farming habits. You can live wheresoever that you choose- no-one can stop you from doing so- but you have to recognise that you are making a personal choice to live in a community- and subscribe to what are considered to be the social norms for that community. If you disagree with those social norms- you are equally free to move to any other community that more closely reflects the standards that you wish for yourself.

If you have a particular issue with what someone posts- either refute the post factually- or use the report post function, detailing the reason your reporting the post. Personalising your posts, attacking other forum users, or arguing with a moderator on thread- reflects very poorly- and will result in people responding in a personal manner when you personalise your posts, people attacking you back- when you attack them- or a ban if you decide to argue with a moderator. If you do get a ban (as you are implying in your post appears to be on the cards), the PM informing you of the ban will contain a link to our dispute resolution process/procedure, where you can get elect to elevate the dispute beyond the forum in question.

I do agree with you that Ireland is in trouble- and he who shouts loudest and is rudest- seems to get their way- look at the physical attack on the Minister for Health by pensioners when it was proposed to remove the automatic entitlement to a medical card without means testing, from pensioners. It always has been the case- obviously its wrong- but thats how this country seems to work (or not as the case may be).

Regarding the moderation of this forum- this is not a democracy- and there are rules that must be followed- as spelt out in the forum charter. If you disagree with these rules- you can discuss this privately with the forum moderators. If you decide to challenge these rules, or the decisions of a moderator on forum- you will be summarily banned, plain and simple. Its not a democracy, and we do not pretend that it is. This is one of the easier going forums however, and there is normally little call for moderator intervention- however if and when it is necessary, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to- creating a nuisance and/or being overly aggressive towards other forum users, intervention will be taken.

I am glad that you get on well with many of your farming neighbours, and I hope you can mend fences with those you don't get on so well with. A little bit of understanding and making allowances by all- goes a long long way.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Advertisement
Advertisement