Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not allowed time off to attend a funeral

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

InReality wrote: »
    I disagree with this.
    While there are always two sides to a story if you take a look
    through the stories here , there are plenty of cases where employers often abuse the power
    they have.

Disagree all you want.

Again, as you have said, there are 2 sides to every story. And all stories posted here, are one side of it.

Yes, some people do abuse power. Everyone knows that.

I'm not saying to lie down and take whatever ****e gets thrown your way, but it's a last minute request. I know, I know, it's a funeral. It's an emotional time, but with companies stretching staff as tight as they are, he may not have been able to cope. They may not have been able to get any cover. Other people may have been on holidays. They might have been off sick themselves. Jesus, the other staff might be attending the funeral themselves!

On the other hand, the manager might just be being a ****, having the roster done, and not arsed getting cover. I don't know. You don't know. I doubt the OP knows, but I'd say they have their own opinions formed.

Fact of the matter is, it's not family, you are not entitled to leave for it. The OP asked and was refused.

Taking off sick is petty (IMHO) and leaves the people you work WITH up shít creek, never mind the company. You're not "sticking it to da man," you're throwing your toys out of the pram when you don't get your own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...I was astonished to get three days off and a message and flowers from the management when my father died 8 years ago and I was working for one of the more demanding, strict and tightly run companies in the country. It made a nice change from the usual refusals and one-sided treatment and decisions always going the companies way.

I'd say in relation to funerals for friends it is a very difficult thing to adjudicate and plan for. Companies usually have a list of people, in terms of relations that they allow time off for. Legislation stops discrimination for gay couples, adopted children, second marriages etc so that the list of "allowed" relatives for which time may be gotten off can be quite large.

While it is infuriating not to be able to attend a friends funeral being at risk of having no job is more immediate and needs to be guarded against.

Advertisement