Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trial hole Cost

Options
  • 14-09-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

Need to get trial holes done on our site. Is this a fair price to have the work carried out?

Digger Hire Quote 140
    Test Inspection Quote 450

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Recently completed this in Co. Laois -

Digger - €60
    Site Suitability Assessment - €550 (price set by county council)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

sounds about right, I know a fella in Mid-tip that'll do the site survey while waiting for the water to dissipate, perc test & survey for a grand. but you need to double check with whatever council your in and make sure the guy doing the perc is on their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,047 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Average here in Donegal would be around €400 + digger (€60 approx.)

BryanF wrote: »
    I know a fella in Mid-tip that'll do the site survey while waiting for the water to dissipate, perc test & survey for a grand.
    Bit on the steep side.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

just did the trial holes in Mayo

Digger - €70
    Site Assessment €500

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Bit on the steep side.
    really! what are you paying for a site survey at the moment

really! what are you paying for a site survey at the moment
    digital survey of half acre site would be approx. €200 - €250

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

Our site (1.5acre) characterization test & report (percolation test etc) cost €544.50 (incl VAT) excluding digger.

Digital site survey (levels etc) cost €726 (incl VAT)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

Hi Gear_ie

Would you be able to PM me the person you used? Our site is 1.6 acres, and we are being quoted in excess of a grand for the same tests in North County Dublin.

PM Sent.

• Advertisement

What’s the typical waiting time to have a Site Suitability Assessment carried out by your local county council?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badger81

Matt406 wrote: »
    What’s the typical waiting time to have a Site Suitability Assessment carried out by your local county council?

wonderin the same, digging tomorrow

am I missing something. is this not carried out when submitting the planning application?
    you go to the LA's website pick a guy to do it from the approved list, they do an inspection, perc test and report and you submit it as part of planning

The trial holes and results are part of the planning process i.e. they need to be submitted with the application. The local co.co will then visit the site to do a site evaluation and when this is complete you should get/not get conditional planning. You can then fill-in your trial holes.

yep, yep, thanks gear,:o I took Badger's "digging tomorrow"
    to mean starting building, but now see it was probably digging the trial hole:)

badger & matt, dont forget to mark/ place protection around the hole

• Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

am I missing something. is this not carried out when submitting the planning application?
    you go to the LA's website pick a guy to do it from the approved list, they do an inspection, perc test and report and you submit it as part of planning

bryan, in some counties (eg laois) the council themselves carry out the EPA test. Its a source of revenue for them.

you apply to them for a test, then depending on how busy they are, they give you a date on which to organise the holes to be opened.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    bryan, in some counties (eg laois) the council themselves carry out the EPA test. Its a source of revenue for them.

you apply to them for a test, then depending on how busy they are, they give you a date on which to organise the holes to be opened.
    interesting, so if your in Laois and your say a qualified Enviro Eng or whatever, can you carry-out the EPA test or must you deal with the council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

sydthebeat wrote: »

I wonder do they certify and supervise construction of the waster water/percolation too?

Would an Engineer be willing to certify someone else's design proposal?

yep, yep, thanks gear,:o I took Badger's "digging tomorrow"
    to mean starting building, but now see it was probably digging the trial hole:)

badger & matt, dont forget to mark/ place protection around the hole

yep digging percolation tomorrow.

what do ya mean about place protection around the hole brian?

badger81 wrote: »
    yep digging percolation tomorrow.

what do ya mean about place protection around the hole brian?
    H&S if you have houses/children around the site

• Advertisement

H&S if you have houses/children around the site

year old heifers count :D:D:D,
    all good

interesting, so if your in Laois and your say a qualified Enviro Eng or whatever, can you carry-out the EPA test or must you deal with the council

No we cannot submit SSA tests results to the council. They only accept their own results. Very frustrating!

I wonder do they certify and supervise construction of the waster water/percolation too?

Would an Engineer be willing to certify someone else's design proposal?

No they do not certify or supervise.

AFAIK they do carry their own PI insurance.

They condition 'a suitably qualified professional' to certify / supervise etc.
    As you say, it wouldnt be very professional to accept anothers results without some kind of recheck. This recheck is somehow worked into both the quote and the work involved in the supervision.
    Any certification will state that the installation is based on requirements as per councils Site suitability assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭enol

Cavan/Meath area

Man & digger = €50
    Perc test/report = €450

I’ve just discovered that Laois Co Co insist on being present when these trial holes are being dug! Is this standard practice in other counties??

Matt406 wrote: »
    I’ve just discovered that Laois Co Co insist on being present when these trial holes are being dug! Is this standard practice in other counties??

hi matt, im very familar with laois and i can tell you that they are one of teh few councils that carry out the tests themselves. they do not accept private independent site assessments which kildare, carlow etc accept. Its a revenue stream for them and it keeps people in a job... which i think is fair enough.

the proper procedure is that the site assessor should be on site when the holes are being dug, so they can insist in the proper depth sizing etc.
    The way laois works is that they will tell you the date that they will be out, and its up to you to organise a digger, water etc on site on that date.

Thanks Sydthebeat. Do you know how long this process usually takes? Been waiting since the start of September now!

the longest wait ive seen was about 2 months.

AFAIK threres two officals in the council that carry out the tests, but the two generally are not 'on the road' at the same time.

As we are beyond the period where holidays etc are a factor, id be expecting work pretty soon.
    Best thing to do is actually to contact them and ask them if they have a date organised yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Just finished my percolation test (and it passed :))

The cost for me was - €230 for the digger & two men to dig the holes. It took about 3 hours in total. They also fenced around the holes for me too. This seems on the expensive side after reading the previous posts

The engineer who did the test charged €500

I'm ragin' about the digger price now - i did search around and the prices were €150, €280 & €230....I am in the Kildare area BTW

Advertisement