Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Democracy/protest being stamped out in Drogheda.

Options
  • 14-09-2011 11:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Councillor Dom Wilton of Drogheda posted in on his facebook page (here).
    I repost it here because I think its very important:
    It might not be important to most people but it's a disgrace that a number of Councillors on Drogheda Borough Council took it upon themselves to bully new rules onto the councils 'Standing Orders ' to make sure you the PUBLIC WHO ELECT THESE COWARDS aren't allowed to voice your concerns ( big or small) in the form of protest at the at the public meeting held monthly in the town.

They made a rule that no more placards or groups or individuals can protest in the good old fashioned way. Some great protests spring to mind.

The bin charges
    The brownies and ladybirds ( that was fun seeing little kids with their posters and placards)
    And various residents groups protesting at decisions greedy councillors made ,
    Well it's a sad day that you the public can't vent your anger at these COWARDS anymore

* LABOUR Paul Bell, Linda Bell Woods
    * FINE GAIL Kevin Callan, Micheal O Dowd, Richi Culhan, Antony O'Donahue
    * FINE FAIL Frank Maher

Shame on you so called public servants for silencing the people who voted for you ,
    They must be scared of the water charges that they are going to vote for

So much for the ability to speak out then and voice protest in Drogheda Co Louth.
    The people pushing this through into by-law are a disgrace.
    Remember, these are the people that are stopping you NOW, in the future speaking out about something you object to, for yourself, your kids or extended family, friends and people.

They are silencing you, denying you your democratic right to protest and object.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd go and protest this decision but the irony may destroy Drogheda. :P

Between this and the tolls fiasco, I've lost all faith in local politics :/ Not that I had much in it to begin with.

I'd love to think someone could come along and make a difference. That someone would be come long and blow politics out of the water by saying things that need to be said and calling these idiots out on these stupic acts. But I guess thats a pipe-dream :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

When he says "bully new rules" does he mean "had a vote" by any chance?

Advertisement