Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Lights - Road use only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes and yes.

I'd take a TK with compatibility with the 18650 battery though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Or one of these if you want probably-better quality...

Fenix TK Series
    http://thephotonshop.co.uk/page15.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Get the brightest light possible, light yourself up like a christmas tree so you can see where you are going and everyone else can see you. Why can cars have extremely bright lights and not bikes???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm not sure where I'd fit a couple of headlamps on my bike.

• Advertisement

And a car battery.

Get the brightest light possible, light yourself up like a christmas tree so you can see where you are going and everyone else can see you. Why can cars have extremely bright lights and not bikes???

Car lights are engineered to be both bright and safe. For instance, HID car lights must include a self-levelling system to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. There are now many powerful LED lights on the market which are unsuitable for road use on a bike, having both high output and an unshaped beam.

Blinding drivers is a great way to get someone killed.

Also, "moth effect".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i have been using the dealextreme light (the first one you linked to for a couple of years commuting (i ride dark back roads though)

i would buy the brightest lights possible

Would agree with that-just concerned that some lights may have too focussed a beam and dazzle oncoming traffic-ergo-increasing danger to me!!! May not be that much of an issue.

Lumen wrote: »

Don't be so dramatic,
    I've never been blinded by a bike light, I have however come across bikes with no or crap lights...
    OS

• Advertisement

Also, "moth effect".

Agreed.

Thanks for the other link Lumen.
    Have you ever used them on the rear with this filter
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fenix-red-filter-adaptor-cap-flashlight-signal-lamp-red-39-7mm-diameter-54702
    or would that be too bright for a rear? Memories of James Cracknell on his RAAM come to light -he was hit from behind if I am not mistaken.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think there's a difference if, like me (and a number of others aound here), you do a lot of riding on unlit country roads. Bright lights to illuminate the roads make a massive difference (particularly given the current state of some roads). It is important to align them correctly though, so you don't dazzle oncoming traffic

On well-lit roads in the city it's as much to be seen as to see, and having the brightest lights is not as important

I tend to turn the Xmas lights fully on around early October (currently I just tend to be using a flashing back light on the commutes);)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't be so dramatic,
    I've never been blinded by a bike light, I have however come across bikes with no or crap lights...
    OS
    Seriously, you would be blinded by mine if I did not have them pointing in the right direction

Don't be so dramatic, I've never been blinded by a bike light, I have however come across bikes with no or crap lights...OS

I don't understand your logic. Have you ever used a P7-based light?

Here is a detailed test comparing a Magicshine with a well-designed bike light....

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/koplampen_zonder_afkapping/Magicshine_mj808/index_en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Don't be so dramatic,
    OS

The OP's post includes a link to a 900 Lumen light.

Here's what 900 Lumens looks like - go to 2m40s:

You may not have been blinded by a bike light before, but it's pure irresponsible to imply that you could never blind a driver with a bike light.

For the OP to buy and use a light like this would be absolutely mental, and properly dangerous.

Don't be so dramatic,
    OS
    You've probably never encountered some of the lights being discussed here. They can be quite painful on the eye on full power. I won't be looking into my TK11 again anytime soon. If you have two big lights on full, cars will flash you to dip, which is a hard thing to do on a bike in a hurry.

Aside from all that, the only problem with the TK11 is that there isn't much(any) side illumination with it. I often wonder if people coming out of side roads can see me. I plan to strap a couple of knog frogs on to the drops to illuminate my sides. Also, the battery is not one of the common sizes. But I have mine for over a year with no problems. Dropped it a few times and it still works. Waterproof too.

If it ever fails on me I might look into* the LED Lenser B7 or P7. They take normal AAA batteries. I got a P7 for my da and it can be focussed to give different beam patterns. Though I'm not sure if the vibrations of being mounted on the handlebars would cause the focus to unintentionally change.

*i.e. research, not actually look into it, not with it on. See lesson learned in paragraph 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats the difference between an badly mounted car head light and a bike light?

Or the flip of that a properly mounted light, aimed so to not blind/dazzle?

A bike light that blinding a car is not pointing at the road in front of you, so would be pointless.

(exception being a flasher which is intended to be seen, not see by).

BostonB wrote: »
    Whats the difference between an badly mounted car head light and a bike light?

Or the flip of that a properly mounted light, aimed so to not blind/dazzle?

A bike light that blinding a car is not pointing at the road in front of you, so would be pointless.

(exception being a flasher which is intended to be seen, not see by).

It depends on the throw/spill of the light.

A very floody light needs to be pointed down to the extent that the road ahead isn't well illuminated. Not only that, but your eyes lose their darkness adaptation due to the near-field illumination.

A throwy light is easier to aim safely down the road, but you don't get much near field illumination, so you have to pay attention to avoid being surprised by a pothole.

If riding on a fairly quiet road, you can aim a reasonably throwy torch light like the Fenix TK-11 quite far ahead, then dip it with one hand for oncoming cars (if using a rubbery mount). When moving into a more heavily trafficked area, switch it down to low.

A problem with the P7 lights (aside from the power requirements) is that they're not a point source of light - there are actually four LEDs on the die, right next to each other. For optical reasons (i.e. laws of physics) you can't get a tight beam without using a massive reflector. So they tend to be quite floody.

I think 250 lumens is about optimal for a bike light, giving a decent balance of runtime, illumination and beam characteristics.

Hence the reasons why the Fenix TK and Hope Vision lights are well reviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think thats an answer to a different question, but I get what you mean.

In the Park, I sometimes use two lights, 1W LED's one aimed slightly ahead of the other.

-Chris- wrote: »
    The OP's post includes a link to a 900 Lumen light.
    For the OP to buy and use a light like this would be absolutely mental, and properly dangerous.

I did ask if it would be overkill to use these-and I clearly specified what I would be using it for. :D What I am looking for is a light that will aid me on dark roads-and wont be a hazard to other users-therby adding to the risk of cycling at night. Be safe-be seen. If you dazzle others-its not safe.
    Good debate on the subject. It seems lights are, quite rightly, an important subject for keen cyclists.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, and as a driver, thanks for asking the question before hitting the Buy button :p:).

Absolutely, and as a driver, thanks for asking the question before hitting the Buy button :p:).

Blinding drivers is less of a problem than blinding fellow cyclists, since (a) drivers don't need as much dark adaptation as cyclists, because their lights are more effective, and (b) drivers don't tend to crash when they hit an unseen pothole or wet drain covers.

On the other hand, a blind driver is more likely to run over the offending mobile lighthouse.

Or else we can enter an illumination arms race and see who wins.

Blinding drivers is less of a problem than blinding fellow cyclists, since (a) drivers don't need as much dark adaptation as cyclists, because their lights are more effective, and (b) drivers don't tend to crash when they hit an unseen pothole or wet drain covers.

Well, as a cyclist, I'm also grateful he's not buying the 900lumen monster, but as I'm primarily cycling in street-lit areas, it probably wouldn't have been used on full-beam in my vicinity anyway...
    On the other hand, a blind driver is more likely to run over the offending mobile lighthouse.

That'd be more my concern tbh.
    Or else we can enter an illumination arms race and see who wins.

Why not give peace a chance and we'll all turn off our lights. After a short period of our eyes adjusting to the dark, we'd be grand :)

Jesus, fair enough- that's pretty bright, my bad....!

Off topic, I use a 64,500 lux operating light in my clinic, now that's bright...

OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

I don't understand your logic. Have you ever used a P7-based light?

Here is a detailed test comparing a Magicshine with a well-designed bike light....

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/koplampen_zonder_afkapping/Magicshine_mj808/index_en.html

i think you posted a link to this guy's review of a phillips bike light a while ago, he seemed to think it was the best of 'em.

how would that one (phillips) compare with a tk11? he hasn't mentioned a fenix in any of the reviews i don't think

Jesus, fair enough- that's pretty bright, my bad....!

Off topic, I use a 64,500 lux operating light in my clinic, now that's bright...

OS

Don't look up! :D

Don't look up! :D

174404.JPG

Too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

G rock wrote: »
    i think you posted a link to this guy's review of a phillips bike light a while ago, he seemed to think it was the best of 'em.

how would that one (phillips) compare with a tk11? he hasn't mentioned a fenix in any of the reviews i don't think

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/koplampen_accu_afkapping/Philips_LED_bike_light/index_en.html

Looks very good flood seems to be perfect for cycling with. Draw backs though are its bulky with 4 AAs and run time is not quite as good as the fenix. Fenix is more compact and much handier to carry a spare 18650. Philips looks like a ideal comuter light but for longer training spins or touring the fenix looks a better option.
    Need to get a new light myself so need to decide soon was also considering Ay Ups.

Ryath wrote: »

The comparison of "Philips LBL" and the Lupine Betty is interesting, as are his experiments with LED drivers for dynamos.

I'm quite looking forward to the clocks falling back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The comparison of "Philips LBL" and the Lupine Betty is interesting, as are his experiments with LED drivers for dynamos.

I'm quite looking forward to the clocks falling back.

i ordered one of those philips led lights so i'll do a review as soon as it comes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

The comparison of "Philips LBL" and the Lupine Betty is interesting.

Just goes to show Lumens are not the most important thing.:D
    as are his experiments with LED drivers for dynamos.
    Interesting alright you waiting for the production version or you thinking of knocking up your own? Using a battery for the stand light certainly seems like a good idea over using capacitors.

Reading more I think I'll go for the Philips 95% of the time it should be ideal for my purposes.

Ryath wrote: »
    Interesting alright you waiting for the production version or you thinking of knocking up your own?

I'm trying to avoid spending more money on lights. :pac:

Ayups are quite tempting. They're beautiful little things, and I've heard great things from those who've used them.

Advertisement