Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacology

Options
  • 14-09-2011 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭

hi just wondering what med students generally use for pharmacology? How is it taught in your college?

Myself, I basically just stick to Rang and Dale's Pharmacology book. If it's not in the book I presume I don't need to know it for pre-clinical medicine years. I hated this book at the start, but now, along with Lipponcott's, I love it.

Our lecturers tend to use Katzung's Basic & Clinical Pharmacology as their reference.

I think it's been a while since this question came up, wondering if i get any interesting answers.

Do pharmacists use Rang and Dale at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Pharmacology flash cards, lecture notes and the BNF. Mostly just the BNF to be honest, but it doesn't give MOA for drugs. Rang and Dale scared the crapola out of me when I saw it in Hodges and Figgis, so I didn't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Biologic wrote: »
    Pharmacology flash cards, lecture notes and the BNF. Mostly just the BNF to be honest, but it doesn't give MOA for drugs. Rang and Dale scared the crapola out of me when I saw it in Hodges and Figgis, so I didn't buy it.

Can't imagine how you could learn Pharmacology from the BNF :pac:
    Rang and Dale is a nice Pharm book FWIW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭MrsStuffings

What does anyone make of the Rang and Dale flashcards?
    Was gonna invest in them but not sure if they're worth it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bluewall

Personally, I think rang and dale is great for the basic physiology/pathology around most of the drugs & conditions, but I don't like it for the break down of the drugs itself. I know a few pharmacologists in my class who rate R & D highly.
    I use Pharmacology at a Glance for a quick & basic explanation of a drug and I also use Pharmacology Recall (Lippincott) for a quick overview of moa's, side effects, interactions (this book is good if you're working towards USMLE).
    Sometimes 'medicines.ie' can be handy for pharmacodynamics & pharmacokinetics if you have a particular brand name (irish) you want to look up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stoolan

Depends what you're looking for. I studied pharmacy and never used Rang and Dale as it just didn't have enough detail, especially regarding mechanisms of action. The bible in my opinion (and several other pharmacists) is goodman and gilman- you can get the paperback version in H&F for around €45 but its very detailed. Lange or Katsung are good for clinical stuff. I'm a first year GEM student so haven't really done much pharmacology yet but the 2nd years say that it's more clinical pharmacology and less mechanisms of action that they need to know, so Lange or Katsung would be good. BNF isn't very readable-too many side effects/interactions etc that don't really occur in practice, while medicines.ie is good as it lists side effects based on how likely they are to occur.

• Advertisement
Advertisement