Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio NoVa stuck in the 80s?

• 14-09-2011 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Is it me or is Radio Nova stuck in the 1980s?

Evereytime I turn it on its the same old tunes from two decades ago, same old predictable, so uninspiring, so bloody boring, what a waste of a good radio station, which seems to be stuck in the past with nothing new to offer! I mean 'seriously' it drives me mad, we've heard all those old tunes a 1000 times before, get real radio Nova, play new stuff, get a feed off BBC Radio, or just do something/ anything to get "New" quality sounds on air. < rant over :)

PS: I love the Rick Wakeman show.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think that's the point of radio Nova and 4fm though.
    Classic hits, it's like chewing gum for the ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Solair wrote: »
    I think that's the point of radio Nova and 4fm though.
    Classic hits, it's like chewing gum for the ears.

You say that, but the same can be said of Today FM, 98FM, RTE R2, Q102, 4FM and the rest of them, they're all stuck in the 80s, so when the new Nova appeared I was hoping that it might be something new, something fresh, with new sounds, looks like I was wrong :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There does seem to be a bias towards that particular decade all right, I'll put it down to the age cohort that works in radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LordSutch wrote: »
    Is it me or is Radio Nova stuck in the 1980s?

Evereytime I turn it on its the same old tunes from two decades ago, same old predictable, so uninspiring, so bloody boring, what a waste of a good radio station, which seems to be stuck in the past with nothing new to offer! I mean 'seriously' it drives me mad, we've heard all those old tunes a 1000 times before, get real radio Nova, play new stuff, get a feed off BBC Radio, or just do something/ anything to get "New" quality sounds on air. < rant over :)

PS: I love the Rick Wakeman show.

Three decades ago :)

Sorry to make you feel old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

The following is from Nova's "music policy"

You’ll love Dublins newest radio station, Radio Nova. We promise to give you a guitar-based mix of great songs from the last 40 years right through to today.

An example of our key artists include AC/DC, Deep Purple,The Who, Led Zeppelin, U2, Kings of Leon, The Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, Cold Play, Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, Guns N’ Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen, Kaiser Chiefs and Thin Lizzy.

So it is mostly oldies then, this is their brand - nostalgia rock.

Just to add - I think there is a world of difference between 80s stuff by say Dire Straits or Pink Floyd as played on Nova and for example The Corrs as played ad infinitum on 2FM.

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    The following is from Nova's "music policy"

You’ll love Dublins newest radio station, Radio Nova. We promise to give you a guitar-based mix of great songs from the last 40 years right through to today.

An example of our key artists include Billy Idol, Billy Idol, Billy Idol, Billy Idol, Billy Idol, Billy Idol, Billy Idol, illy Idol, Billy Idol, Billy Idol, Billy Idol, Billy Idol, Billy Idol and Thin Lizzy.

So it is mostly oldies then, this is their brand - nostalgia rock.

Just to add - I think there is a world of difference between 80s stuff by say Dire Straits or Pink Floyd as played on Nova and for example The Corrs as played ad infinitum on 2FM.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Naughty Mike:)

Seriously though, Nova have come in for some unfair stick from people who expected to hear what they wanted to hear. This was particularly evident in the beginning. Lot of Muso's complaining not enough Heavy Rock/Metal.
    The list Imhof Tank gives is exactly what I hear most times I listen during the daytime. And Billy Idol.
    I even heard Styx-Mr Roboto yesterday. Not often you hear that on the radio. I just hope it doesn't get overcooked.

They've played that track a few times, but its also the only Styx track I can remember hearing on Nova which illustrates the a problem with the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Des wrote: »
    Three decades ago :)

Sorry to make you feel old

Late 80s early 90s, old stuff either way, the point I was making is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

LordSutch wrote: »
    Late 80s early 90s, old stuff either way, the point I was making is the same.

In fairness to Kevin and co. they gave it their best shot...sadly the bullet has fallen wayyyy short of the target....and the new programme manager has made no difference...which is very poor, it shows that at least two people have the same ideas about the music content...very sad face...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

mike65 wrote: »
    They've played that track a few times, but its also the only Styx track I can remember hearing on Nova which illustrates the a problem with the station.

Yeah, it seems to be that they pick a track by one artist and that's all they'll play by them. I've probably heard "I Want a New Drug" by Huey Lewis more times over the last month than I have since it was originally released.

Zaph wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems to be that they pick a track by one artist and that's all they'll play by them. I've probably heard "I Want a New Drug" by Huey Lewis more times over the last month than I have since it was originally released.

MMMM....hardly classic rock....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sids Not wrote: »
    In fairness to Kevin and co. they gave it their best shot...sadly the bullet has fallen wayyyy short of the target....and the new programme manager has made no difference...which is very poor, it shows that at least two people have the same ideas about the music content...very sad face...:(

Their figures in the last book would go a long way to contradicting that statement ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I listen to Nova for over twelve hours a day.

I like the variety, but they still need more. One day, in my shop, the dj said "Judas Priest next", the customer present said, not xxx again - and he was right. I emailed them straight away!

Anyone that plays the original Layla is excellent.
    Anyone that plays Parisienne Walkways at 5.50am is excellent.

They beat the crap out of Q102 and 98fm.

The only issue I have with them is the bird talking the irish crap, early on a sunday morning. I am assuming they are obliged to have a bit of irish, and sunday morning very early, is the quietest time they have to do it.

Their figures in the last book would go a long way to contradicting that statement ;)

Doesnt mean they dont need to vastly improve things imo....I , like many others have stopped listening.......just doing enough isnt good enough in my book....;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

the problem is nova seems to play one track out of a particular album quite often , they need some variety . im not keen on nova niamh , louise maloney who tbh are headwreckers, theres' room for improvement with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I thought they were great at the beginning, but now it's like f***ing Groundhog Day!!

They must'nt have anything else on their player other than what they play......? They need to freshen it up a bit.

I thought they were great at the beginning, but now it's like f***ing Groundhog Day!!

They must'nt have anything else on their player other than what they play......? They need to freshen it up a bit.

:eek::eek::eek:...wot, and give the listeners what THEY want....thats not their policy...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Zaph wrote: »

Yeah, you can be 90% sure of what song will be on when they mention what band.is up next. It's going to be that particular bands biggest hit.
    Also, the DJ's need to shut the hell up. People listen because they want to hear good music. No one wants to hear the DJ talking about something that happened to him when he was a child. Just play a fùcking song!

Has Carol Dooley got the most boring, forced "exciting" voice on radio.....every time i hear her i'm waiting for her to try and sell me something......and it aint Nova...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

Has Carol Dooley got the most boring, forced "exciting" voice on radio.....every time i hear her i'm waiting for her to try and sell me something......and it aint Nova...:)

Too right Sids,does my head in...

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Too right Sids,does my head in...

Think she'd be more suited to an afternoon talk show on OAP FM or something..talking about pensions and baking....and playing David Essex....FFS.....:rolleyes:

Jesus...i've only realised ...i've just described afternoons on Phamtom................:D

They could easilly replace the DJ's with the DJ 3000.

http://vimeo.com/18516240

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I tried giving Nova a shot on day because i likes my rock but it's nigh on unlistenable.

There isn't enough "classic" rock to run a whole station, play some newer stuff plz.

I tried giving Nova a shot on day because i likes my rock but it's nigh on unlistenable.

There isn't enough "classic" rock to run a whole station, play some newer stuff plz.

There is if they played a bit more variation. For instance, AC/DC have almost 20 albums. If you listened to Nova, you'd be forgiven for thinking they had 3 songs.

There is. The problem is that they need to pander to the "regular public" in order to bring in revenue.
    A person with a good knowledge of classic rock could program the station with a decent turn around of music but that's not going to happen.

That said, they could do better:(

Sadly for us oldies who grew up on blues/prog//punk/new wave we'll never be catered for...why..?? because we've heard it all..the Nova audience could'nt handle having to listen to album tracks from albums that they didnt even know existed...so its safer to play the "chart" stuff...no dis to the current listeners, but as for discovering some hidden gems , Nova wont want to cause them to switch over....
    Suffice to say...i still enjoy PJ on sunday night....god bless ya Pat...keepin it real...;)

Sadly for us oldies who grew up on blues/prog//punk/new wave we'll never be catered for...why..?? because we've heard it all..the Nova audience could'nt handle having to listen to album tracks from albums that they didnt even know existed...so its safer to play the "chart" stuff...no dis to the current listeners, but as for discovering some hidden gems , Nova wont want to cause them to switch over....
    Suffice to say...i still enjoy PJ on sunday night....god bless ya Pat...keepin it real...;)

In 5 years will Nova be playing Beyonce, Jedward and x-factor? Wouldn't be surprised! I'm back to creating my own playlists of my music.

You and me both honey:)
    But if we were in charge, it would go to the wall under the current rules:mad:

I hate listening to my own playlists. A good classic rock station with no rules is what is wanted.

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »
    In 5 years will Nova be playing Beyonce, Jedward and x-factor? Wouldn't be surprised! I'm back to creating my own playlists of my music.

5 years is a hell of a long time in radio. Who knows?:)

Paparazzo wrote: »

.."S'up Marty....?....S'up Carol.......?...........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

average age of this country is 36.

theyre playing music those guys remember hearing in school discos. its the marty mcfly generation who's music of choice is 80s but also remember being exposed to their da's 60s/70s stuff in the car.

if ya want rhianna theres plenty of other stations to flick to. their choice seems to be working out better for em in terms of listenership figures than people gave em credit for considering the economic enviroment.

i admit the incessent playing of particular tracks does my head in, but im far more likely to tune into nova than any other station when i want to escape from the current chart stuff and thats surprised me.

certainly i like me a bit of van halen when i can get it.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

there were talking about inxs the other day. the girl (the name escapes me) was giving a rundun on them and giving the details in irish as well. absolute cringe fest tbh listening to that shoite

Advertisement