Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRO & Business name query

Options
  • 14-09-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi , wonder can anyone advise here;

A business (restaurant) was set up & registered on the 21/12/2010 and now the owner has filed a cessation of business name form (RBN3) with the CRO. I have applied and received a copy of the form from the CRO website and I noticed the cessation date is the same date that the business was registered??

How is that possible? the owner registered the business on 21/12/2010 was operating the business right up until the 25/08/2011 they are still operating under the same business name, same phone number etc...

am i missing something here? I can post a copy of the RBN3 if that is allowed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

There could be several reasons. One is that the business name was originally registered by a sole trader instead of a limited company (or vice versa). While any number of people/companies can register the same business name, the CRO only seem to get sticky when connected parties (eg a person and a company of which he is a director) try to both register the same business name. In this case they ask that the original registrant records a cessation before they register the new registrant. I have seen this happen. I am not certain they have a legal basis for this incidentally.

In your example, it could be an individual registered the business name, then formed a limited company to actually run the business, now wants to transfer the business name registration to the company, so must record a cessation first. There are of course other possible variations of this but without more detail it is difficult to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Thanks for the reply , after doing a bit of research on the CRO website, I found the business I had mentioned above has the SAME registered number as a company (totally different industry) ??

So to clarify,

Restaurant has registered number on the CRO website ; 12345

Technology Company has registered number on the CRO website ; 12345

Would they both be connected somehow or is it just a mistake?

:confused:.com

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

You seem to be using "business" and "company" interchangably but a limited company is different to a registered business name. The CRO maintain lists of both but they are completely separate lists. It is therefore possible that the same number would exist on both lists but there is no connection. For example (random, I know nothing about either business) - company 77777 is Jadron Investments Ltd, business name 77777 is Flash Harrys -no connection. Is that the type of scenario you mean?

Advertisement