Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind resistant bushes?

Options
  • 14-09-2011 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

Well its coming up to October and I want to plant more bushes around perimeter of site, but after last 2 years and the bitter cold and then crazy winds in May (and last few days) I am weary of planting anything that might not survive.

Planted some laurels last year as bareroot but about 2 in 5 died :(

The site is windier than usual being on a hill and soil is alkaline (due to limestone)

What bushes would you recommend? something hardy i suppose??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Beach is good,but hornbeam is even better and is a good tree/hedge for hardy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

paddy147 wrote: »
    Beach is good,but hornbeam is even better and is a good tree/hedge for hardy conditions.

But hornbeam loses its leaves in Winter, does it not?

Not much good for wind protection, then, is it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Escallonia should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

slowburner wrote: »
    Escallonia should do the trick.

As long as we get no more frosts like the last few years....
    Lots of these were lost..

http://www.garden.ie/askgerry_answers.aspx?id=3137

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

bbam wrote: »
    As long as we get no more frosts like the last few years....
    Lots of these were lost..

http://www.garden.ie/askgerry_answers.aspx?id=3137
    True.
    Mind you, pockets of Escallonia survived here even though Grisilinia, Ligustrum and even Furze (!) were killed.

Berberis might be an alternative, if you don't mind thorns - they're tough blighters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Well its coming up to October and I want to plant more bushes around perimeter of site, but after last 2 years and the bitter cold and then crazy winds in May (and last few days) I am weary of planting anything that might not survive.

Planted some laurels last year as bareroot but about 2 in 5 died :(

The site is windier than usual being on a hill and soil is alkaline (due to limestone)

What bushes would you recommend? something hardy i suppose??

Hawthorn (we call it whitethorn) and or Hazel.
    You say you are on limestone.
    Go to the Burren (pure limestone) in Co Clare, and look at what nature has planted. Whitethorn and hazel. Absolutely 100% wind and frost proof.
    Great spring and summer colour and flower. Nuts for you in autumn, and haws for the birds for winter. ;)

Advertisement