Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer science

• 14-09-2011 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

What is the maths standard for computer science?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

>snip<

Its not very high at all, you don't have to take any math modules at all if you don't want to, although there are some elements of calculus in Theory of Computation, but its all fairly basic stuff. Also if there is any maths, they give you the formulas (maybe 3 in total) so just learn them off, understand WHAT they do even if you don't understand how they do it and you'll be absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

It's not a high a level of maths. Maybe 5% of one or two modules have some sort of complicated maths. The rest is basic enough. The main thing is attendance in first year. It's mostly logical thinking which you pick up as you go. You get to know the lecturers and lab assistants through labs and they'll spend time helping you if you find anything difficult. (That's concerning first year of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mandat0ry

I don't think you need strong maths. In UCC, you can avoid any module that actually requires you to literally do maths.

I will say though that a lot of programming is based on the maths way of thinking and problem solving. Like you store the number of comments someone has on their Facebook post in a variable. There's functions but they are a lot more fun than leaving cert maths ones. You will not see any advanced maths, unless you go on to do something extremely unique and difficult. At most the most complicated script/program you might right would require you solve a lot of small problems, which add up to one complicated function. But you never go passed addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. It's like a building may look big but it's just made up of a lot of small bricks and other things. You start small and build on top of it.

E.g. if you wanted to get someones body mass index, you get there height (m) and weight (kg)and store them in variables (roughly) like so:
    ---
    height = 1.8
    weight = 7

BMI = height/ (weight * weight)
    ---

In most programming languages / means division and * means multiply.

You may then take this value and check it against the BMI ranges to see if someone is underweight / average / obese, etc.

My own sister has just started college and I suggested Computer Science even though she didn't have strong maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

Thanks for the replies:)

Advertisement