Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Mr. Perks, and why is he coming to town?

Options
  • 14-09-2011 1:04pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A quick search brings up no results, so here goes.

Over the last week, myself and some friends have become increasingly frustrated by unnecessarily ambiguous advertisements around Dublin indicating that Mr. Perks is coming to town. The ad shows an anamorphic top hat waving a wand for **** knows what reason. Here's an example: http://tinypic.com/r/2r5qn8g/7

Perhaps we're simply ignorant of some awesome, super-hip enterprise and are due a good old fashioned social mocking, but we simply cannot figure out what Mr. Perks is. Some sort of x-rated nickname for anatomy? Is it a hat merchant? A magic store? A magic hat store?

Or perhaps its just viral marketing run amuck, and inadvertently am playing along with the marketers devious plan by starting this thread. At the moment, though, it could be Dublin's real-life equivalent of Gabbo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH -> town

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

A quick search brings up no results, so here goes.

Over the last week, myself and some friends have become increasingly frustrated by unnecessarily ambiguous advertisements around Dublin indicating that Mr. Perks is coming to town. The ad shows an anamorphic top hat waving a wand for **** knows what reason. Here's an example: http://tinypic.com/r/2r5qn8g/7

Perhaps we're simply ignorant of some awesome, super-hip enterprise and are due a good old fashioned social mocking, but we simply cannot figure out what Mr. Perks is. Some sort of x-rated nickname for anatomy? Is it a hat merchant? A magic store? A magic hat store?

Or perhaps its just viral marketing run amuck, and inadvertently am playing along with the marketers devious plan by starting this thread. At the moment, though, it could be Dublin's real-life equivalent of Gabbo.

Perks amusements was what used to roll into Galway every summer. Was never very amusing though :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

biko wrote: »
    AH -> town

Many thanks, and apologies. Thought it may have been outside the parameters of After Hours alright.

inadvertently am playing along with the marketers devious plan by starting this thread.

I'd say you got it in one. It reminds me of the Witness marketing. Just question marks power washed into the ground. Speaking of which, is that illegal these days? Haven't seen it done in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Gabbo is coming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Perky Bear from Youghal must be up to his ol' tricks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

charlemont wrote: »
    Perky Bear from Youghal must be up to his ol' tricks again.

Hold on, Perky Bear was from youghal? I have a perky bear mug from like 20 years ago, what the hell was he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

discus wrote: »
    Hold on, Perky Bear was from youghal? I have a perky bear mug from like 20 years ago, what the hell was he?

Yogi Bears alcoholic Irish gambling brother...

Seriously Bud, He is the mascot/symbol/logo/ etc for Perks Funfair in Youghal, Basically its just a building with gaming machines..

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I've seen the adverts on the sides of buses and assumed it was just another daily deal site??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Twenty10 wrote: »
    I've seen the adverts on the sides of buses and assumed it was just another daily deal site??
    That's what I thought too. Yay, more ****ty Deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Twenty10 wrote: »

Ah that would make sense. Bah, what a disappointment!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Yeah, that's what I thought as well, as if there aren't enough of them already.

Also, that graffiti powerwashing thing that Witness used is being clamped out. It's not strictly speaking illegal, but will be washed off by a street cleaner if it's spotted. It's been done a few times on Stephens Green lately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Presuming it was a National Lottery ad for some new draw or scratchcard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If it is a crappy deals site it will be profoundly disappointing :(

Cheers for the responses, guess we'll wait and see. Be assured I feel deep regret for giving whatever it is the attention it so solely wants, but curiosity was too high to ignore!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

a mrperks.ie whois domain search on domainregistry.ie shows that it belongs to Bravo outdoor advertising who iirc correctly do the advertising on dublin bus and most billboards these days

http://www.domainregistry.ie/index.php/mnuresellers/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&whois=mrperks&id=86&Itemid=105&Search.x=38&Search.y=9

[Querying whois.domainregistry.ie]
    [whois.domainregistry.ie]

% Rights restricted by copyright; http://iedr.ie/index.php/mnudomregs/mnudnssearch/96
    % Do not remove this notice

domain: mrperks.ie
    descr: Bravo Outdoor Advertising Limited
    descr: Body Corporate (Ltd,PLC,Company)
    descr: Discretionary Name
    admin-c: ANM099-IEDR
    tech-c: AAM456-IEDR
    renewal: 05-August-2013
    nserver: ns1.blacknight.com
    nserver: ns2.blacknight.com
    source: IEDR

person: Caroline O'Connor
    nic-hdl: ANM099-IEDR

person: Blacknight.ie Hostmaster
    nic-hdl: AAM456-IEDR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I thought by the font & graphic design that it was something to do with UPC, obviously I am totally wide of the mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

"Big Ed loves Mona" springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

it's a promotions thing. handing out goody bags to commuters at dart stations. read article recently about it. will try and find it again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I had thought it was some sort of loyalty card scheme for shops. You shop, you get some sort of points - or perks. It woud've explained why Mr Perks has shopping bags too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

If it is a crappy deals site it will be profoundly disappointing :(

Not as disappointing as one I remember from the late 90s. There were huge billboard ads proclaiming that Tuesday was the new Friday. The were up for weeks all over the country and I was definitely a bit curious about them. Turned out RTE was moving TellyBingo from Friday to Tuesday.:(:confused:

Although typing that has reminded me of one from the 80s. There were lots of really short tv ads on RTE with "stars" like Dinny and Teasey from Glenroe and Maxi saying "October 10th." It seemed to go for months but was probably just weeks. Eventually it was announced that all would be revealed on Live at 3 at the start of the month. I was so curious that I voluntarily watched Live at 3, which was the bane of my 9 year old life. And what was October 10th? It was the first issue of the RTE Guide that would print the listings for the British channels as well as RTE 1 and Network 2.:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 claytho

I know what it is.... i know what is.... i know what it is..... ;-D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So go on and spill the beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 claytho

the rumours are.... Its an idea that it will be connected to Facebook. if you tag yourself in a certain place often enough. that you will begin to get "perks" with the companys that opt in.
    exp.. tag yourself in mcdonnells twice .. three times a week. you will get vouchers... money off that sort of thing.... rumours have it anywat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

FourSquare for Facebook, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

It's one crappy name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

We'll find properly on October 24th apparently :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

This is a load of me hole

why do they have to advertise like this ?

just tell us and stop wrecking our heads ya bunch of plebs !

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

it was in Phoenix Magazine on August 26th.
    sorry for blurry photo which is attached.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I must be in the 19% of customers who don't buy their products after receiving the sample so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 crazyd

Find out all on 28th Oct he has facebook page as well

Advertisement