Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407 fuel economy

Options
  • 14-09-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a 06 Peugeot 407 1.8l petrol I'm currently getting 10Litres/100km fuel economy I drive mostly in the city most trips between 30min to 1hr not much motorway driving.

I keep the air con off it doesn't seem to make a great difference is this good fuel economy, reasonable or bad?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

they are rubbish on juice, had one for a while as a company car when i was working in a different garage and cost a fortune so didnt keep it long

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That's about 28mpg. About what you'd expect in city driving.

p.s. An Evo would do that off boost. Nearly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

They will do about 38mpg on longer journeys.
    Aircon will increase 1-2 mpg.
    Driving with a very light right foot and keeping the revs under 2500 rpm, especially taking off gently at lights/junctions etc. should save 3-4 mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

I try never to go over 2200rpm usually change up around the 2000 mark what would be too low an rpm can you drive in 5th gear at 1500rrm or would 4th gear at 2000rpm be more economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

cintec wrote: »
    I try never to go over 2200rpm usually change up around the 2000 mark what would be too low an rpm can you drive in 5th gear at 1500rrm or would 4th gear at 2000rpm be more economical.

i find its more where you brake or slow down for that whole matter is a major if not more major killer of any sort of economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It's fundamentally illogical to expect decent mpg when driving in the city.

cintec wrote: »

The lower the rpm the better mate, the less fuel the engine is burning.
    Let the gearing do the work.
    The higher the engine tone, the more fuel your putting into her.

Imagine it was a stationery lawn mower engine, and you left it on for an hour at low rmp / throttle, compared to leaving it sitting at high throttle.

Also be fussy where you buy your fuel. I find Topaz gives me approx. 1/2 extra mpg, Maxol is also supposed to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Hiace. wrote: »
    Also be fussy where you buy your fuel. I find Topaz gives me approx. 1/2 extra mpg, Maxol is also supposed to be good.

you know what....I think you might have something there...I don't use Topaz much but did recently on a long journey and I got approx 3 MPG more than I ever did on similar long journeys in the past...didn't know where the extra MPG came from but now that you say it, it was a topaz garage...my MPG is always quite poor so it really surprised me when I saw the display stating more MPG than usual...

Cicero wrote: »
    you know what....I think you might have something there...I don't use Topaz much but did recently on a long journey and I got approx 3 MPG more than I ever did on similar long journeys in the past...didn't know where the extra MPG came from but now that you say it, it was a topaz garage...my MPG is always quite poor so it really surprised me when I saw the display stating more MPG than usual...

I'm not a fan of large corporations, but I can't deny it, Topaz's fuel additives make a differerce to my fuel consumption. The car does feel as though its running better on it

More info on this thread > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056363288#

Advertisement