Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To apply or not to apply????

Options
  • 14-09-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi - I'm just looking for some advice here.

I've been out of work since January this year and was claiming JB up till April when I went into hospital for an operation. I'm still signed off by the GP and am waiting to get the all clear from my consultant.

While I've been "off" I've still been looking for work - now I've seen a job that would be perfect for me - however, my dilemma is this.....
    They are looking for immediate start (which I'm happy to request the GP to sign me off for, if it came to that) but for 2 weeks in October I won't have child care.

If I apply for this job, how do you think I should approach this.

Any ideas anyone???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Of course you apply.

And start looking for child care alternatives! There will be someone willing to do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

"Puts on Pedantic Pat Hat"

If you're OK to be signed off if you receive a job offer then you should be signed off Illness Benifet right now, you're either fit or not fit for work..

"Puts Away Pedantic Pat Hat"

Signoff and apply for the job... If you get it you'll be able to work something out.. If you don't then sign on for Job seekers Benifet or whatever it is called..

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Thanks for your replies (Pedantic Pat Hat and all – note taken :) )

I think I may have misled you though (apologies if I did).

Although I’m on Illness Benefit I’m not looking to claim that AS WELL as work..... If I request the GP/Consultant to sign me off that is at my own risk which I am fully aware of (however, I “think” I would be capable of doing this job – if something were to happen I have myself to blame :) and I am prepared for that).

My question “really” was with regard to the child care issue – If I apply and was lucky enough to be called for interview how would I approach this if I couldn’t organise something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

bijou wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies (Pedantic Pat Hat and all – note taken :) )

I think I may have misled you though (apologies if I did).

Although I’m on Illness Benefit I’m not looking to claim that AS WELL as work..... If I request the GP/Consultant to sign me off that is at my own risk which I am fully aware of (however, I “think” I would be capable of doing this job – if something were to happen I have myself to blame :) and I am prepared for that).

My question “really” was with regard to the child care issue – If I apply and was lucky enough to be called for interview how would I approach this if I couldn’t organise something.

first I'd wait till i actually got the job before worrying - also I'd be very suspisious of a job advertising as 'immediate start' - usually label themselves as customer care when really they're door to door.

Also have you not got parents, siblings, aunty/uncle or grand parents who could mind the child?

Also it would only be for 2 weeks, if worst came to the worst you could just get a baby sitter or day care

Advertisement