Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a turbo trainer

• 14-09-2011 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a turbo trainer for myself and the wife to use in the winter.

I'd like to have an idea what speed i'm doing and different resistance would be great.

I know nothing about them so advise me people !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hi all,

Looking for a turbo trainer for myself and the wife to use in the winter.

I'd like to have an idea what speed i'm doing and different resistance would be great.

I know nothing about them so advise me people !

Speed means nothing.

50kph in setting one with the tyre at 50psi is not comparable to 30kph in setting 5 with the tyre at 100psi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

tunney wrote: »
    Speed means nothing.

50kph in setting one with the tyre at 50psi is not comparable to 30kph in setting 5 with the tyre at 100psi.

See i know nothing:D SO ADVISE ME !!

Advice?
    Don't concern yourself with speed

Advice?
    Don't concern yourself with speed

Spelling is a problem too:D

So if not speed is it resistance ?

If you must have a metric then power, wattage.

Look at the Tacx flow. Good turbo. Lots on here have it. As long as you calibrate every time its repeatable in readings, albeit not accurate.

Save 100-150 euro by getting it from bike24.net

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can anyone recommend a good (cheaper) turbo? It's been on my shopping list for a while but given I'm not sure how commited I can be to staring at my shed wall (or clearing out one of my sheds) so I don't really want to drop €400 on one until I see how much use I'll get out of one.

Guys in wheelworx recommneded THIS as an entry level trainer. Would it be even worth my while getting that one? Doesn't seem as if it'll give any sort of a decent workout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Can anyone recommend a good (cheaper) turbo?

I have a Trax satori, its entry level but does the job. My back wheel is hooked up to a cateye computer so I can get the cadence and speed from that and I use the Heart rate monitor as well.

Its not the turbo that will give you the workout its how hard you push it. Plenty of turbo sessions out there on the net that will get you sweating.

Can anyone recommend a good (cheaper) turbo? It's been on my shopping list for a while but given I'm not sure how commited I can be to staring at my shed wall (or clearing out one of my sheds) so I don't really want to drop €400 on one until I see how much use I'll get out of one.

Guys in wheelworx recommneded THIS as an entry level trainer. Would it be even worth my while getting that one? Doesn't seem as if it'll give any sort of a decent workout?

just by chance I borrowed the older model of that one from a club member and did an hr on it tonight. I found it great and at that price I'd be interested in that one as I thought it was a great workout but I've never used another one so can't compare it !!

Well I can see you first problem there....... :)

It maxes out at 250 watts.
    It has only resistance settings but are set on the resistance unit.

250 watt limit rules out any "real" work. And I don't mean for uber-bikers. A decent lightweight AG female will ride 180 watts for an IM. My 56 year old father in law got into cycling recently - this would not do him :)

bike24.net are fantastically cheaper than anywhere else for trainers

Tacx satorri €160

Tacx Flow €250 (plug it in and work off wattage, I think this is the "standard" boards hi end trainer)

Cyclesuperstore Wednesday Special:

Tacx Satori Cycle Trainer + Storage Bag + Cycle Video
    With the threat of snow and very cold conditions again this winter, in door training will be the choice for most cyclists. So this week we have the perfect trainer for you. The Satori T1868

It is the favorite warm-up tool of many pro teams. It's strong, robust and consist a very powerful neodymium magnet and 10 degrees of resistance.

It comes with front wheel support, storage bag and Cycle Video of Grossglockner to take you to the world's most famous mountain passes.
    More information...

Was €264.95
    Now € 199.95 + €7.99 Postage (or just collect it)

• Advertisement

Well I can see you first problem there....... :)

It maxes out at 250 watts.
    It has only resistance settings but are set on the resistance unit.

250 watt limit rules out any "real" work. And I don't mean for uber-bikers. A decent lightweight AG female will ride 180 watts for an IM. My 56 year old father in law got into cycling recently - this would not do him :)

Thanks yeah, I know very little about turbos but that's pretty much what I picked up from the couple of reviews I found.

Saw the CSS offer while I was reading your post this morning. Will be counting out the piggybank later on.:pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I know nothing about the ins and outs of turbos, even though Ive used one for a year. Watts? Watts that? I really would love that explained to me in laymans language.

I have a tacx sirius. All I know is I havent reached a point where I need more resistance than it can give. Its been pretty ok. You do need a computer with cadence, and a hrm. I hope this year to do proper coached turbo sets and should understand more once I get into that. Maybe trade up to something with that measures power then.

Oryx wrote: »
    I know nothing about the ins and outs of turbos, even though Ive used one for a year. Watts? Watts that? I really would love that explained to me in laymans language.

I have a tacx sirius. All I know is I havent reached a point where I need more resistance than it can give. Its been pretty ok. You do need a computer with cadence, and a hrm. I hope this year to do proper coached turbo sets and should understand more once I get into that. Maybe trade up to something with that measures power then.

A watt is the unit power.
    Power is a measure of the rate of which work is done.

Knowing your wattage allows you to know exactly how much work you are doing at any given point.
    You can test your Functional Threshold Power (basically the average wattage for a 1 hour TT) and from that work out training zones.
    Easy, steady, mod, hard now have ranges of wattages assigned to them.
    It is absolute and are not affected, like HR is, by things like temperature, hydration, stress, etc etc.

Training by power allows you to know where you are, how you are improving and even estimate race performances.

Turbos won't measure power in general. Tacx Flows don't measure power but give a consistently inaccurate readind with is fine as long as it is repeatible.

In this specific example the turbo in question states its limited to 250 watts. For a solid rider thats useless as a steady effort would exceed that nevermind mod hard and hard efforts.

The Sirrus is second from bottom in the Tacx range. Plenty of scope to move up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I got a Tacx satori lastyear and havent had any trouble with it.

I'm thinking of going down the power route now, last year I did intervals off HR and it always seemed to take too long for the HR to respond. Initially I was considering changing the trainer, but you lose the power readings (which will be incorrect, but consistent, as Tunney mentions) when you hit the road on the bike.

If you've a powermeter on the bike itself I expect that gives accurate readings regardless of whether your on the turbo or out on the road, and saves the repeat calibrations needed with turbo trainers (and buying a new trainer too in my case :) )?

kingQuez wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going down the power route now, last year I did intervals off HR and it always seemed to take too long for the HR to respond. Initially I was considering changing the trainer, but you lose the power readings (which will be incorrect, but consistent, as Tunney mentions) when you hit the road on the bike.

The delay in response time is a big thing
    If you've a powermeter on the bike itself I expect that gives accurate readings regardless of whether your on the turbo or out on the road, and saves the repeat calibrations needed with turbo trainers (and buying a new trainer too in my case :) )?

Yip. Unless its a Polar chain base one..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I'd spend the extra €90 and go with the flow if you are into stats in any way - it might be the difference between sanity or not.

I had a satori, it was boring. Some sort of reading might have helped pass the time/pain tho.

Im not really a turbo fan - would rather go out in the wind and rain and if it snows again i'll get the MTB out. I understand why others use them tho.

PS you got to love wheelworx - €430 for a flow!Maybe they should buy a few off bike24 themselves. Shop Irish:rolleyes:

Oh, god. Now I need to educate myself on power meters too. Thanks for the help tho guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Interesting thread.

This guy did some testing between the power reading on the flow and a Power Tap.

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1170892

As Tunney says, the power readings are inaccurate but because they are consistenly inaccurate, it can be used to guage performace over a long period.

Looks like a Flow is the most afforadable trainer with power feedback

Yip. Unless its a Polar chain base one..........

I'd only really considered the powertap and srms. I'd almost be tempted to wait for my first dip into the power world now that the garmin/look pedal based setup is on the cards for mid next year. Must jump on a gym bike and see what sort of power it thinks im able to put out, I've never looked before.

You've used a computrainer before right Tunney? They look on the face of it just like another trainer, what makes them so popular (and expensive :) )?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I'd spend the extra €90 and go with the flow if you are into stats in any way - it might be the difference between sanity or not.

I'm a big nerd so it tempts me for that reason, alas, my credit card wouldn't be as impressed with that purchase as I would be! :)

• Advertisement

I'd only really considered the powertap and srms. I'd almost be tempted to wait for my first dip into the power world now that the garmin/look pedal based setup is on the cards for mid next year.
    The cycling crown cry when I point this out but nobody has proven that pedal based power meters are worth a damn and Garmin have a woeful track record of bringing new products to market.
    Must jump on a gym bike and see what sort of power it thinks im able to put out, I've never looked before.

Probably best googling "random number generator"
    You've used a computrainer before right Tunney? They look on the face of it just like another trainer, what makes them so popular (and expensive :) )?

Basically when I found on tiny tunney #1 was on the way I realised that I was going to spend more time on the turbo. I already spent up to 4-5 hours on it in a single sitting but doing that as much as I thought I would have to (and did) would get a little much. Variety makes turbo sessions tolerable but it can be tricky to write such a variety of relevant sessions.

Computrainer hooks the load generator upto a computer and the computer controls the load. There are three main ways in which the CT can operate.

1) Real Course Video - videos of courses taken during a race which are then synced to gradient of the course so the load matches the terrain. You can hammer out the IM Kona course at 300watts or toddle around the IM Oz course at 120watts. Speed of the video reflects the effort being doen.

2) 3d - computer generated courses. You can manually create courses or load from GPS. In the existing software you set up fixed wattage pacers to ride against other riders. I've been testing the new software as a beta tester for 4-5 months and it massively improves this area - smart pacers, (i.e. work of ranges and are "smart" about attacking you, fixed wattage pacers, HR based pacers, and pacers that ride like an AI. Attack when you demonstrated signs of fatigue, on highs etc etc. Wind can also be factored in and affects speed.

Both of these are what attracted me to the CT. However its the third that turns out is the best bang for buck in training.

3) Erg mode. You write up you session using absolute wattages and then the unit forces you to either push those wattages or get off. I have a session to do tonight. Here it is. no hiding, just your ass on a plate.

ergo.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Oryx wrote: »
    Oh, god. Now I need to educate myself on power meters too. Thanks for the help tho guys.

Oryx if you are serious about learning about power and perhaps investing in the future this book gives you some great information and will probably change the way you look at training on the bike.
    Given the fact your training for an IM it is worth considering as it takes the guess work out of training but more importantly pacing on race day so you don't overcook/undercook the bike leg and screw up the run leg:)

Thanks jb. The bike is my limiter and I dont want to do junk miles. Particularly when I need to use my time wisely. All the stats and figures are greek to me right now, even the training bible with its zones makes my head ache. The biggest ask of this IM thing is learning that stuff! Prior to this, all I had to do was get on the bike and go.

The cycling crown cry when I point this out but nobody has proven that pedal based power meters are worth a damn and Garmin have a woeful track record of bringing new products to market.

Yep, that's also the main reason I'll probably go with the two types that I know have worked for people in the past. If the garmin offering works it will be awesome to have something you can swop between bikes and travel with. Let's see in a year what the reviews are like!

Thanks for the info about the computrainer, I think its still outside of my budget but sounds pretty cool. The idea of having some AI attack when you start to slack off is pretty cool but so very very hard to get right, there's some very cool stuff you could do with that motivation in terms of online group cycles and setting up something like strava.com for the trainers if they were more affordable.

Ok what did I do wrong last night.

I set the resistance at a good level in a high gear, dropped back to low gear, warmed up, then interval 4 min sprint, two min recovery, 2 min sprint, 1 min recovery and so on with recovery in the lower gear. I did that for 1 hr ???

As Oryx says, all the numbers make my head hurt. I know I have good power in my legs........I just need to keep it up for longer !

Any answer to the above ?

Any answer to the above ?

Whats the question?

Whats the question?

Really is what i did as a workout any use ?

I know it got the heart rate up and the sweat dripping from me:)

Really is what i did as a workout any use ?

I know it got the heart rate up and the sweat dripping from me:)

Might be an idea to post in a more relevant thread :) Start a new one in main board!

• Advertisement

Ok, but thats soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much work:mad::D

Advertisement