Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a turbo trainer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Dont forget to set aside 30quid for a fan if buying a turbo trainer. Got reminded I need to get one tonight. Wiggle should really add a few sturdy ones to their catalogue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Short interview with Newry sub 9IMer Owen Martin by the UK Computrainer rep

http://www.computrainer.co.uk/ticker/no-excuses/

Interesting he highlights the Spinscan as a huge advantage. How typical is the significantly uneven power output of one leg versus the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Notwitch wrote: »
    Short interview with Newry sub 9IMer Owen Martin by the UK Computrainer rep

http://www.computrainer.co.uk/ticker/no-excuses/

Interesting he highlights the Spinscan as a huge advantage. How typical is the significantly uneven power output of one leg versus the other?

I have a Computrainer. I've had one for years.

Racemater push the SpinScan aspect HARD of the device. They get absolutely shredded on it by any of the actual power training experts.

One thing that caused me to write it off is if you pedal one legged it still reports power for both legs.

In addition before I wrote off SS I contacted them (UK and US) for details about what the various readings that the CT SS gave mean were. They couldn't tell me what the numbers meant other than they were measured and to "contact an expert".

Left right left imbalances happen but a standard PM can detect these. The spin scan tries to get you to alter the angles at which you apply force.

Computrainers are great however there are some drawbacks:
    1) Software is obselete (I have the new unreleased stuff and its nicer but there are doubts as to whether it will ever be released)
    2) its got lots of wires
    3) their support is aggressive and unhelpful
    4) it doesn't do HR, it claims to but it doesn't.

Do I like mine? Yes
    Do I hate aspects of it? Yes
    Is there an alternative product at the moment? No

But CycleOps PowerBeam is up and coming..

Regarding Owen Martin and the testimonial, Racermater and Computrainer UK are great at getting testimonials. I know I did one a while back (never published) and I got free product for it.

CTs are great, SpinScan is sh1t. gets absolutely lambasted by Coggan et al. Basically an even split between legs is desirable but there will be unevenness in the power generation during the various phases of a pedal stroke.

Actually I stand corrected - Saris/CycleOps are about to release some Computrainer killer software for the PowerBeam Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Tunney - have you tried this Ant+ link up to remove some wires and add hr?

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/05/look-at-computrainer-ant-integration.html

• Advertisement

Fazz wrote: »
    Tunney - have you tried this Ant+ link up to remove some wires and add hr?

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/05/look-at-computrainer-ant-integration.html

Yip - started using that about a week ago. A god send.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

Tunney - If you had a choice now - Would you go with the powerbeam bro or the Computrainer? Or do you think a regular trainer with a powertap wheel would be the best option?

HalfTri wrote: »
    Tunney - If you had a choice now - Would you go with the powerbeam bro or the Computrainer? Or do you think a regular trainer with a powertap wheel would be the best option?

I don't know anyone with a powerbeam pro. Would like to try one out.

While the CT can be annoying most last 10-20 years - bombproof from a load generation POV (mine will die tonight for saying that).

A regular trainer with a PM isn't bad but its not the same. I have SRMs and a regular trainer as well (a nice fluid one). CT will kick my ass every time. Much more return from sessions.

Plus if riding 4-5 hours regularly on the trainer you need something to vary it up and films and TV series are counter productive.

I'd like to trial a PowerBeam Pro provided the software came out for it.

"CT will kick my ass every time. Much more return from sessions."

When you say return - do you mean the info you get back after the session?

Cheers for that.

HalfTri wrote: »
    "CT will kick my ass every time. Much more return from sessions."

When you say return - do you mean the info you get back after the session?

Cheers for that.

The info getting back is similar to a power meter.

By return I meant the training return.

Below is a screen shot of an ERG file that I could do on the CT.

The wattage you pump out are measured and stored but it also enforces a load on the unit. So if you say a session is 3:00 @ xyz watts then 2:00 at abc and so on and so on then the result - if you finish, will be that +/- a few percentage.

Via ERG files you can describe exactly what you want to do and the CT makes you do it. Hurts alot.

erg.png

• Advertisement

Impressive!! Thanks for that. Now where's my wallet.. Its time to remortgage the bike

try before you buy.

a few people with them. mail the uk rep and ask if he could suggest someone who had one and then you able to try them.

surprised that your 4-5 posts on boards are all on this thread and you are now running off buying a CT...............

"surprised that your 4-5 posts on boards are all on this thread and you are now running off buying a CT..............."

Haven't had to post before but been looking into this purchase for a while. Its not exactly cheap so don't want to throw away money if better (and cheaper) alternative.

Advertisement