Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whole wheat flour in Dublin?

Options
  • 14-09-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Any one know where you can get whole wheat flour in Dublin? Tried the super markets but can only find whole grain! Thanks in advance for any help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Petite Treats

Hi,

Dove do a nice wholemeal flour that is finely ground

Forgot to mention - this is available in any health food store

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

whole wheat flour in Dublin? Tried the super markets but can only find whole grain!
    I think they are the same thing. If it just says "flour" on a pack here you can presume it is wheat flour, so if it only says whole grain, I would presume it to be wheat flour made from the whole grain, and it could also be called whole wheat flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

rubadub wrote: »
    I think they are the same thing. If it just says "flour" on a pack here you can presume it is wheat flour, so if it only says whole grain, I would presume it to be wheat flour made from the whole grain, and it could also be called whole wheat flour.

I think they are different cos the recipe I'm following calls for plain and whole wheat flour!
    Hi,

Dove do a nice wholemeal flour that is finely ground

Forgot to mention - this is available in any health food store

Oh cool, thanks. I will give that a go! Thanks a million for your help!!

I found this which is what I presume your talking about.

http://www.organicsupermarket.ie/shop/product/wholemeal-flour-1kg-doves?PHPSESSID=1f474e10f1754bbef1a7b0304e34ca01

Is there a difference between wholemeal and wholewheat?? Oh god...this is so confusing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PTO wrote: »
    I think they are different cos the recipe I'm following calls for plain and whole wheat flour!
    "plain flour" to me means white wheat flour which is not self raising.

So they want you to mix some white wheat flour with some brown/wholegrain/wholemeal flour.
    PTO wrote: »
    Is there a difference between wholemeal and wholewheat?? Oh god...this is so confusing!!!
    Both could be the same, I think it's a loose term. If I see wholemeal bread I expect it to be brown with no bits of grain in it, just like a regular white sliced pan (but brown). While I would expect wholegrain bread might have bits of grain in it.
    Brennans 100% Wholemeal 800g

Our wholesome wholemeal bread is so called because it’s made from flour using the whole of the grain. Brennans 100% Wholemeal is a delicious way to add more fibre to your diet.
    Brennans Wholegrain 800g

Our wholegrain bread is made from flour with actual grains in the loaf to give it a delicious, nutty taste and texture.

So wholegain flour might be more loosely ground, and wholemeal might be fine. I don't think it is overly important to recipies, if I was making a thin batter I would want fine flour, if it was bread I like bits in it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help rubadub! I think I have it now!! Cheers!

Advertisement