Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for WHV and tickets.

Options
  • 14-09-2011 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Hello peeps/
    Im heading off down under next year. I suppose I would be going in the first or second quarter of 2012. Would it be way too early to apply for the visa now or should I wait a few months before I go? A friend of mine and her boyfriend are heading off in February but they went to a travel agents(Mannings) and got the visa's and plane tickets through them. They said its good to do it that way because there is some sort of comeback if something goes wrong?
    What are the cheapest options? Im heading down to Adelaide SA.
    Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

There is no 'come back' on a visa - as once you get it either use it or cancel (at your loss), I cannot comment on the flights.

It is usually always cheaper to buy direct from aus website (listed in FAQ's)

WHv should only take 1-4 days, and there is no cap, so it doesn't really matter.

Flights however go up and down - so if they are cheap now then go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I applied for my WH Visa online in September last year and got it within 30mins!! I never used mine until late January, as far as I remember you can apply for it and you have 12months to use it from the date it was first issued to you, so if you apply now you have a year to use it and when you first enter Australia you have 12months to stay in oz from that date.

I booked everything myself which obvioulsy works out cheaper but as Hussey said there is no come back so just make sure you are definitely going! WHV is non refundable and works out about 200 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Thanks a million lads thats cleared up a lot. I'll leave this thread open and ask a few more questions here soon as opening multiple threads can be annoying. Also if anyone has further answers fire away. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭law_lady

Hi, good idea for a thread. Just a question about access to funds and the WHV. I want to apply for my visa asap, hoping to leave Ireland mid-October. However, I am still waiting on a loan to cover the cost of the visa, flights and start up, and I don't want to borrow any more than strictly necessary.

My question is, if I travel there on a one-way flight, but with proof that I am returning home to a job in Ireland next September, how much money do I need to show I have in my account? Is it AUD 5000, or do I need more to show I can afford a flight out of Oz at a later date?

Also, once I have entered the country, am I free then to just use this money for house deposit, rent, etc. or do I have to keep it safe in my account for any length of time post-entry?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Hey guys/girls have a read of my DIY guide to a WHV.

It might answer some of your questions...:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73021962

• Advertisement

Thats a very helpful post rightyabe. A few questions:

1) The white card? Do I just complete this and print it off? Also do mechanics require this?

2)The money? I'll have at least €3000 but if it dosen't go up to aus $5000 how can they tell? If I had lets say $3500 would they turn me back?

3)The WHV. When I purchase this online is it just a print out of a visa or is it addressed to my Irish address or is it something as simple as a serial number?

Cheers, more questions to come:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Plug please do a search on the forum, all those questions have been answered many times.

Thats why I post because its easier to get a straight answer. Come on folks help me:p

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

1) You can do white card online, not too sure if a mechanic needs one.

2) Yes they could turn you back if you don't have enough funds to support yourself i.e $5000, Australia is an expensive place. I was never checked coming over . . .

3) if you apply online, it's all electronic, print it out for your records but you will more than likely not be asked for it at immigration, I wasn't. it just goes on your passport details,dob etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

1) White card is Construction OHS induction card, not required for mechanics unless you are a diesel fitter working on Plant on a construction site.

2) They rarely check the $5000, it would be advisable to take at least $5k as Australia is not cheap and if you dont get work you could run out of funds and end up doing the walk of shame.

3) As sonic says visa is electronically linked to your passport number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement