Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cider Making

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I have done some TC brewing - good plan to go apple juice only. It is still pricey per litre by comparison with many other kinds of brews (0.87c /litre). You could boost it with some sugar, but apple juice on its own has an OG of ~1.042 and it will fully ferment.

Only word of warning - apple juice ferments like nothing I have ever seen - it will foam like crazy. I would not fill the fermenter more than 75% of the way. If brewing in a demijohn they recommend not filling it > 3L.

The foam produced will bubble through your airlock.

Using proper yeast is good, bread yeast has that familiar not-pleasant smell. Brewing yeasts give nice smells and hopefully nice flavours.

THis cider will be dry - only splenda will sweeten it.

Your kit has an airlock - gas will be released slowly(ish) and will not stink the room. But you will be able to detect the smell from inhaling near the airlock.

Another idea - this will ferment fast. You could leave the cider in the primary fermenter, but you will probably get better taste and development, if you transfer to glass Demijohns or secondary glass vessels afterward (or do a mix of batches). Your kit has a tap.

To get a cider bite, you need Malic acid or possibly the skins of wild crabapples. I am passing on second hand advice here, I have no experience here. You might need to do a bit more research on this.

Advertisement