Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipping nails, Any tips?

• 14-09-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭

Its getting to the point were my dogs nails need to be clipped. There is plenty of concrete around our garden that the vet said would ware them down naturally but if anything they are just making them sharper! If he is playing with you or jumping on you, his nails will leave a mark. He is a Boxer/Rotweiller cross, so he is a big enough dog with big paws and nails.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for clipping nails? Which tool or product is best to buy for doing it yourself. I was told that by clipping too much off can leave the dog in a lot of trouble, is this true? Should dew claws also be clipped?

Or am I best to leave it myself and just bring him to a groomer to have it done by them? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

If you're unsure then go to an experienced groomer.

I do my own dogs, but the trick is to only clip a very small amount off. A dogs nails grow with a vein through the middle and if you clip too high up the nail then you will hit the vein and it will bleed and be painful for the dog.

If you regularly trim the nail then the vein retracts naturally over time with trimming, but if you have concrete then they should wear down naturally too.

The dew claw does need to be trimmed, the same rules apply, only there is no opportunity for the dew claw to wear down naturally so regular trims as needed on this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhPsLdNMf7XFFSCOZKcbbkMsuCZ_R14LclkNWR_IbWV7I5rzI7rw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Are his nails black or white? If they are white you will be able to see the vein, if they are black you just cut tiny bits at a time. If you are unsure just ask a groomer or a vet nurse and they will show you. I find the little clippers that look like a scissors are handy and have a little cap that you can pull over to stop you taking a big chunk off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

+1 on getting someone to show you how to do this the first time you do it. If you get it wrong and "quick" him, he will not let you or anyone else near his feet again!
    Clipping black nails is educated guesswork, so do get advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Sorry to drag up an old thread

I need to clip my Yorkshire terriers nails. She has never really needed it done before as she gets out and about loads and they wear away.

Would the like of this be OK.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CALDEX-LTD-NAIL-CLIPPERS-LARGE-SMALL-cat-dog-kitten-puppy-nails-groom-claws-/271222872463?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&var=&hash=item3f2624998f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

As the others said previously unless you know what you are doing clipping her nails could go bad on you. I bring my lady to Petmania where they have a grooming section and for €8 her nails are done. It is well worth it in my opinion as I wouldn't risk doing it myself in case I hurt her.

They also clip her nails when she gets a full "doggy day spa" (my description:p) grooming.

Hope this is of some help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I use this type of one:

www.ccpdogs.ie/product/549/nail-care/resco-nail-cutter-medium

This cutter allows you to put the nail through a small "hoop" before cutting which allows you to be more accurate and reduces the chances of over-cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

I was just inspecting them and the soft horse shoe shape underneath goes to the tip. Yet they are all taping on the ground as she walks. Maybe I will take her to get them done and ask how to do it myself in future.

Advertisement